News Lysandre's Trump Card Has Been Banned

Plasma? Plasma is no different, and that was run way before in a very similar format. The only difference is that people knew what to conserve. If anything it makes the field more skilled instead of allowing noobs to come in and wreck (if they have enough money to play), all LTC did was let new players go all wily nilly with their cards.

Wow okay I think you need a chill pill. (unless this post was not meant as an aggressive response then I apologize :') )

I was talking about the fact that decks in general are starting to lack card recovery compared to the options we've had late Gen 4 and early Gen 5. We don't have too many cards like that, so we'd have to wait for something like the new Energy Recycle to come out (Honestly don't get why they don't just reprint Energy Returner).

Discard Pile recovery is not a new mechanic, if anything it's something that was slowly dwindling and instead of coming out with alternatives - they dropped it in the form of a single card and went "Oops, we screwed up" and banned it. This isn't something

was I promoting it? No. I was saying that it's going to make things difficult for people because whether or not they used it for some ungodly skill-less spam decks like Seismitoad, it still filled a role in taking things up in one scoop. With LTC taken away, players simply need to find a new way of taking cards back from the discard pile the way they were originally intended for - instead of an annoying lock deck. I mean hell, I agree - people who play LTC Spam with big decks take the skill out of the game.

In fact I'm happy it hurts Seismitoad and Rayquaza, a well as many obnoxious decks that used that engine. It opens the game's doors wide open to other things and might give more decks a chance once Ancient Origins hits. I honestly can't be happier about this ban but because most of my decks are reliant on recovering things back from the discard pile and I have no intention of re-investing money into older cards I already sold - I will probably wait until Ancient Origins before building a new deck.

I have to agree with you, Token. (please correct me if I am interpreting your post wrong)

There is room for discard recovery in the game, however it would need to be done is a manner like super rod, energy returner, or item finder (dowsing machine). As it is a mechanic that in some causes needs to be very finely tuned, or it causes the situations like what LTC caused where it removes the risk for drawing through your deck extremely fast. While we do have some recovery with cards like Bunnelby(AT), energy retrieval, super energy retrial, blacksmith, scared ash, pal pad, and (max) revive(may have missed a few cards). However you didn't see a single recovery card being a staple in most decks outside of LTC, as it was objectively one of (if not) the best options for recovery.

Now I have only started getting into the pokemon tcg competitive scene. So my understanding and insight on this may be more naive, and less educated.

Edit: I will be honest and say at first I was unhappy about the ban, but after thinking about it for a bit, I do see it as a good thing for the game.

I still would argue that Rayquaza-Shaymin decks will still be very viable; that deck only uses Trump Card really for what it is, a last resort. Once it is setup, you work on the next Rayquaza, and you should be able to win. The same can be said for Night March, although they really only got 2 months to live at this point, and even less depending if you can go to worlds or not.

I have been trying out Craw-toads prior to switching to the LTC spam version, and I find the results to be satisfactory. I guess I am switching back over to that now that it is even more crucial that there is a lack of LTC throw everything back in. Sure there is Super Rod and things like that, but those can be locked by toads and can cause major issues when there are not only 4 hammers, but also a unspecified amount of Team Flare Grunts gunning at energy in every turn, and before anyone asks, I do not use any lasers in there. It ruins consistency, as the deck's purpose is not to kill, but to put the opponent at a standstill, unlike what Shay-toads did to get LTC banned. However, the arrival of Ariados, as well as M-Sceptile to replace Virizion-ex's place, will make things more difficult.

Needless to say, this ban is definitely necessary, now I just need to wait for 2 months until I can truly be satisfied with this game. When Flareon, Mew, and Exeggcute finally make their exit, is when creativity with Megas can actually thrive.

why dont just make LTC a ACE SPEC and let it move to the lost Zone after it ist used. That way it would be way weaker, but still aviable one time per game.

btw i played Night March at nationals and I took out my LTC last minute because I didnt want to give Toad-Decks a free LTC

why dont just make LTC a ACE SPEC and let it move to the lost Zone after it ist used. That way it would be way weaker, but still aviable one time per game.

Because...

1) Even though the-powers-that-be have used errata that way before, that isn't what an erratum is supposed to be. Instead it is supposed to be used to correct things like poor wording, typos, etc. Even using it correctly can also often be more confusing than simply banning a card.
2) Notice how there are no Ace Specs in the XY sets; this mechanic appears to have been abandoned, so it was not likely an option.
3) Notice that the Lost Zone hasn't been seen since Call of Legends; this mechanic is not even present in Expanded so it too is likely not an option.
4) One use is still one too many; this should be a "no brainer" situation. "Oh hey! Unprecedented recycling as a Supporter. Past supporters would only do things like recycle three Pokémon and three Basic Energy or shuffle up to five of a combination of Pokémon and basic Energy, but this will get all of them in your discard pile plus all your Trainers and Special Energy that are rarely that easy to reclaim, with the only added draw back being it doesn't target itself and it works for your opponent."

Because...

1) Even though the-powers-that-be have used errata that way before, that isn't what an erratum is supposed to be. Instead it is supposed to be used to correct things like poor wording, typos, etc. Even using it correctly can also often be more confusing than simply banning a card.
2) Notice how there are no Ace Specs in the XY sets; this mechanic appears to have been abandoned, so it was not likely an option.
3) Notice that the Lost Zone hasn't been seen since Call of Legends; this mechanic is not even present in Expanded so it too is likely not an option.
4) One use is still one too many; this should be a "no brainer" situation. "Oh hey! Unprecedented recycling as a Supporter. Past supporters would only do things like recycle three Pokémon and three Basic Energy or shuffle up to five of a combination of Pokémon and basic Energy, but this will get all of them in your discard pile plus all your Trainers and Special Energy that are rarely that easy to reclaim, with the only added draw back being it doesn't target itself and it works for your opponent."

it was a joke.
i already know all that stuff and more than happy that LTC is gone

I don't care what you people say, being able to recycle a lot of things with one single card really helps a lot of decks. Not just Seismitoad. This ban is a terrible decision because the only way to recycle cards is with Item Cards. This helped you have space in your room for other helpful stuff and I really loved what it did for my own deck. It allowed me to open up space to cards that it needed desperately. Now the only way to get the job done is with Item cards. Which, in an Item Lock heavy format - makes this a terrible decision.

If we're going to start getting a banlist for the Pokemon TCG, then they need to know what's really wrecking their game - and it's not this. This kind of terrible decision making is why I've started to move on to VGC and simply stick to collecting cards. Something I've seen many local TCG players begin doing. Because whoever is thinking of or play-testing the more broken cards and letting them slip past approval - is making this game more unplayable with each passing set.

I understand where you're coming from, and I really didn't want to see LTC get banned as it was the best option to deal with decks like Night March, but you've gotta look at it from their perspective:

Certain trainer cards, like Ace Specs, are extremely powerful but are still feasible due to the fact you can only use them a limited number of times (especially since Recycle and Sableye have been cycled out of Standard play). However, LTC's ability to put them back into the deck practically infinitely makes those potentially OP cards simply broken ones.

Additionally, heavy draw decks are a bit of a double-edged sword. On one hand, you get a lot of options to come at your opponent hard and fast, while on the other hand you run the risk of decking out and winning the game for your opponent. LTC takes that risk and throws it out the window, especially if you have cards like Pal Pad or Vs Seeker to re-use him (since he doesn't recycle himself).

This leads me to my third point, that of LTC making games unreasonably long. If you run a stall game (using moves that prevent damage to yourself, lots of potions & Pokemon Center Ladies, etc.) then LTC could make it so you could do so forever. Not sure if Play! Pokemon tournaments in Japan have a time limit, but here in the States LTC has the ability to make every match run to time, which isn't really a favorable situation.

So yes, I'm sad to see LTC go, as that makes Night March and Flareon decks that much more of a problem again, but I comfort myself with the knowledge that Flareon will be cycled out of play soon, and I still have cards like Target Whistle and pokemon with similar attacks to help balance the power of Night March just a bit (now if only Seismitoad would receive an errata or something.)

I understand where you're coming from, and I really didn't want to see LTC get banned as it was the best option to deal with decks like Night March, but you've gotta look at it from their perspective:

Certain trainer cards, like Ace Specs, are extremely powerful but are still feasible due to the fact you can only use them a limited number of times (especially since Recycle and Sableye have been cycled out of Standard play). However, LTC's ability to put them back into the deck practically infinitely makes those potentially OP cards simply broken ones.

Additionally, heavy draw decks are a bit of a double-edged sword. On one hand, you get a lot of options to come at your opponent hard and fast, while on the other hand you run the risk of decking out and winning the game for your opponent. LTC takes that risk and throws it out the window, especially if you have cards like Pal Pad or Vs Seeker to re-use him (since he doesn't recycle himself).

This leads me to my third point, that of LTC making games unreasonably long. If you run a stall game (using moves that prevent damage to yourself, lots of potions & Pokemon Center Ladies, etc.) then LTC could make it so you could do so forever. Not sure if Play! Pokemon tournaments in Japan have a time limit, but here in the States LTC has the ability to make every match run to time, which isn't really a favorable situation.

So yes, I'm sad to see LTC go, as that makes Night March and Flareon decks that much more of a problem again, but I comfort myself with the knowledge that Flareon will be cycled out of play soon, and I still have cards like Target Whistle and pokemon with similar attacks to help balance the power of Night March just a bit (now if only Seismitoad would receive an errata or something.)

You quoted a post from an earlier opinion that has changed lmao.

There is no need to worry about Night March, as much as people like to believe that Ditto Promo will replace Mew-ex, it will not pass rotation as the health is way too frail, and if Night March does become that much of a problem, something will be done about it. There is a reason why there is not a lot of good non-ex hitters in recent sets, like Flareon.

Banning is "TPCi's Last Resort" as it were.

Ace Specs likely were also a mistake: notice how they haven't made any new ones in the XY sets: six sets without a mechanic like that when said mechanic may even be completely rotating out of the format is a good sign that mechanic is being abandoned. While having multiple (for example) Computer Search would clearly be "too much", even if one isn't overpowered... it becomes a "luck" card. With TecH the card is played as a single because you don't need more of it, so the fact that it can still be a "lucky break" to pull it at the correct time is a given, baked into the games underlying rules. With cards that are specifically limited to one per deck with the idea of being a singleton balancing out a more powerful effect, in some cases its a free power-up because the card might have only been TecH to begin with. The rest of the time its the "Yu-Gi-Oh" school of play (...the fiction, not the real game) where you are counting on luck-of the draw to not draw it too soon or too late or contrary to the point of the card being one-per-deck making it harder to get/usable only once, you've got a means of searching it out and/or recycling it.

The rest of what you said is pretty much accurate or minor enough even I ain't gonna nitpick. XD

Lysandre's Trump Card ban is not the end of the game as we know it. Even though it's like cutting off the tail of an animal or insect.

If 'LTC' is still a plague I would've suggested if you use this card; (1) your turn automatically ends your turn once used and/or (2) NOT force your opponent to do the same to their deck if they don't want to. (3) Making it a coin flip would honestly make it worse.

When will Energy Recycle be available to us? Virizion and Fairies need a way to get Basic Energies back into their decks again (Not in their hand!)

Dude, everyone just get over it. The pokemon company made the ban for a reason. They did this because people would not have to be as careful with their cards if they ran 1 or 2 of these cards. It also creates much similarities with yu-gi-oh mill troll decks, and the last thing pokemon wants is close similarities with #2 whilst they are #3.

Everyone, please stop arguing. I have deleted a multitude of rude and/or spammy posts in this thread. If I see any more of it, I will be handing out more warnings.

Thank you.

Lysandre's Trump Card ban is not the end of the game as we know it. Even though it's like cutting off the tail of an animal or insect.

If 'LTC' is still a plague I would've suggested if you use this card; (1) your turn automatically ends your turn once used and/or (2) NOT force your opponent to do the same to their deck if they don't want to. (3) Making it a coin flip would honestly make it worse.

When will Energy Recycle be available to us? Virizion and Fairies need a way to get Basic Energies back into their decks again (Not in their hand!)

Fairies do have a way, though not the best of ways. Togetic ROS has the ability to shuffle three Fairy energy back into your deck for [Y].

Isn't the main goal to get the Energy cards back into play? Virizion-EX has decent odds of rotating soon so I'm not too worried about it but anything with a Mega Evolution has Mega Turbo... so Grass-Type decks will have their new Energy acceleration partner (M Sceptile-EX) soon and want the Energy in hand while I assume most Fairy decks will have a Mega Pokémon to cheerfully attach basic Fairy Energy cards from the discard pile, then move where they are needed.

Isn't the main goal to get the Energy cards back into play? Virizion-EX has decent odds of rotating soon so I'm not too worried about it but anything with a Mega Evolution has Mega Turbo... so Grass-Type decks will have their new Energy acceleration partner (M Sceptile-EX) soon and want the Energy in hand while I assume most Fairy decks will have a Mega Pokémon to cheerfully attach basic Fairy Energy cards from the discard pile, then move where they are needed.
Exactly. I was referring to their (Virizion-EX and Xerneas) attacks being useful in the middle and the end of a match, not just the beginning. You said so yourself, Virizion-EX isn't certain to be rotated and even when it is, let's also remember the Expanded format will still exist for them. We can't be certain that Fairy types will have alternative ways to accelerate energy aside from the deck (which now includes Togekiss.) Plus with Seismitoad, Trevenant & the incoming Vileplume, Mega Turbo still isn't that good of an option in about 1/2 of the matches (I guess neither will Energy Restore) but you would only play 1 unlike Mega Turbo which would be played 3 or 4 in a deck.

Exactly. I was referring to their (Virizion-EX and Xerneas) attacks being useful in the middle and the end of a match, not just the beginning. You said so yourself, Virizion-EX isn't certain to be rotated and even when it is, let's also remember the Expanded format will still exist for them. We can't be certain that Fairy types will have alternative ways to accelerate energy aside from the deck (which now includes Togekiss.) Plus with Seismitoad, Trevenant & the incoming Vileplume, Mega Turbo still isn't that good of an option in about 1/2 of the matches (I guess neither will Energy Restore) but you would only play 1 unlike Mega Turbo which would be played 3 or 4 in a deck.

In that case let me point out that while it is a roundabout way, you can always play a shuffle-and-draw after playing something like Superior Energy Retrieval to toss said Energy back into the deck. Not ideal, but it exists.

Back