Ruling Lugia-EX vs Shedinja

Skulblaka_Shur'tugal

Zippy Says Hi!
If Lugia-EX knocks out Shedinja, how many prize cards are taken?

108-lugia-ex.jpg

ShedinjaDragonsExalted48.jpg

Shedinja's ability states that your opponent can't take any prize cards once it's knocked out, but Lugia-EX's ability states that you get an extra one. Does this mean you still get one, or zero?

Zero.

Anything that sets something to zero takes precedent. Think of it in this way as well with two different cards. Darkrai's Dark Cloak Ability gives itself free Retreat with a Dark Energy attached. Jellicent's Stickiness Ability gives everything on the opposing field an extra Colorless Retreat more. Darkrai's Retreat Cost would still be zero in this case (assuming the Dark Energy is attached).

dmaster out.

I see that dmaster already answered but, could it be explained with just Shedinja saying "Your Opponent can't take any Prize cards..."? Since it disallows for Prize cards to be taken, it can't be modified.

Really not trying to step on toes, I just wanted to see if the way I would explain it to any of my players would still be correct.

That's right, but it's basically just another way to word how it gets resolved is all. Since it's set to "zero", you can't modify that. Same with the Darkrai Retreat Cost example.

dmaster out.

Back