Lucario (PD/HB) + Rocky Helmet

Broken Pokemon EX

Aspiring Trainer
Today I was just looking over Red Collection and PD/HB just to get pumped for what was coming out and I saw a potentially really good combo. Combine the promo Lucario coming out in japan and the upcoming Rocky Helmet. Any time Lucario gets hit your opponent will take 40 damage just for attacking you, and with his attack which requires only 2 energies, you can potentially be dealing out some heavy damage really early on in the game.

Anyone have any ideas for other cards that might compliment this combo in a deck?

Druddigon from Red Collection is pretty similar to Lucario

Pokébeach.com said:
Druddigon – Colorless – HP100
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Rough Skin
If this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon and is damaged by an opponent’s attack (even if this Pokemon is Knocked Out), put 2 damage counters on the Attacking Pokemon.

[C][C][C] Clutch: 60 damage. The Defending Pokemon can’t retreat during your opponent’s next turn.

Weakness: none
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2

I like Druddigon better than Lucario because it won't be resisted by Yanmega, and you can Catcher up a Magnezone or something and trap it there with Clutch
(unless they get a Switch). Also Druddigon is basic so it's easier to get out. It could be useful as a late game tech in almost any deck with Shaymin UL to quickly power it up.

Teched Chandelure from Red Collection tacks on an extra 30 damage when active, so it can easily serve as revenge kill (40 from counter damage effects, 60 from Clutch, 30 from Chandelure's ability) without attacking in the first place. Tack in a Switch, bring out another Druddigon, and repeat the process.

Not a great deck idea, but it's an interesting one to play with.

Intersting idea, especially when you combo with something like Cresselia Darkrai Legend for a complete rogue deck based on damage counters. Gengar Prime, and move damage counters around, almost like CurseGar / DuskGar

Lucario (PD/HB) paired up with Donphan Prime seems really solid especially with Max Potion and Energy Retrieval/Fisherman. Just attach Rocky Helmet to Donphan and you basically have 2 Stage 1 attackers that can donk like crazy. With MewBox, Is Mew Prime trying to use Headwind with Pidgeot in the Lost Zone? I'll put 2 damage counters on it despite not being able to use Earthquake for {F}{C}{C} or If Lucario is dealt damage it can't use Aura Sphere for {F}{F}{C}{C}.

Mew Prime gets to 30 HP, 20 If Rainbow energy is attached then If they attempt to Mass Attack with Mew Prime using Jumpluff already in the Lost Zone they risk giving their Opponent a free prize cause of the recoil damage from Rocky Helmet or Lucario's Ability which is basically Rocky Helmet or If Rocky Helmet is already attached to Lucario that's a KO on Mew. Now I know why some people are worried about the new Lucario from Psycho Drive and Hail Blizzard from Japan, it basically replaces Donphan in a BW-On format in the future.

Aura Sphere while it also does 50 damage can also bench snipe for 20 which is very nasty. Heck I can see Lucario and Donphan Prime being paired up with Hydreigon since it's Ability can make any energies attached to it Darkness Energies, though it also needs 4 Fighting Energies to actually do 60 damage to their Active and 40 to 2 of your Opponent's benched Pokemon making bench sniping and taking more prizes a whole lot faster especially when you consider the idea of a 1-0-1 Emboar (Ability) line for energy acceleration to go along with that unless Catcher poses too great of a risk for that tech.

I like druddigon more as well and I also like the chandelure idea for the stacking damage. It would be fun to bring up a free retreat pokemon (not yanmega) and use clutch against it. Your opponent will probably not play switch because their pokemon already has free retreat :p

blaZofgold said:
Intersting idea, especially when you combo with something like Cresselia Darkrai Legend for a complete rogue deck based on damage counters. Gengar Prime, and move damage counters around, almost like CurseGar / DuskGar
The problem with focusing the deck on moving around damage counters is that the damage output of the opponent is likely to be much higher and can KO Pokémon faster. Rocky Helmet is to allow return damage faster. It's basically like two PPs in the long run.

Rocky Helmet finds its most useful state when its equipped to a tank, like Torterra. Otherwise, it is useful for stacking counters up rapidly but it does hurt that neither Druddigon or Lucario have very tanklike structures.

Both have their good points, Druddigon can lock a Pokemon in place while Lucario can bench hit and has very good damage output, so I think they should cooperate.

blaZofgold said:
Rocky Helmet finds its most useful state when its equipped to a tank, like Torterra. Otherwise, it is useful for stacking counters up rapidly but it does hurt that neither Druddigon or Lucario have very tanklike structures.

Both have their good points, Druddigon can lock a Pokemon in place while Lucario can bench hit and has very good damage output, so I think they should cooperate.
Chandelure is enough in combo with Druddigon. Having more of a toolbox-like combo between Druddigon and Lucario ruins the deck's focus. Stacking counters mean nothing if it doesn't mean a faster KO, tank or no tank.

Druddigon is also a Basic and can abuse DCE, so we run fewer cards and have more rooms for techs. I like Lucario quite a bit, and Aura Sphere is a nice attack, seeing as you can "OHKO" a Zekrom if they attack you and you've Aura Sphered one already. Both have their pros and cons, but it'll be interesting.

Back