Lottery Opened for Worlds 2023 Spectator Badges

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
TPCi has opened a lottery to purchase Spectator Badges for this year’s World Championship in Yokohama, Japan.
You can register your interest for a Spectator Badge from today until June 7th at 11:59 p.m. PDT.
A random drawing will take place on June 8th. Selected individuals will be e-mailed and have 72 hours to purchase up to two badges. They will cost 2,000 yen each (about $15). When you pick up your badge at Worlds, you’ll receive two booster packs.
No additional Spectator Badges will be sold at Worlds, and no passes will be released for sale online during Worlds. These Spectator Badges are the only way for the public to gain entry to the World Championships.
I’ll see y’all there!

Continue reading...

Last edited:
I get that Japan is doing this because they're still worried about covid. But how many spectator badges are available??

I get that Japan is doing this because they're still worried about covid. But how many spectator badges are available??
It's not really about covid, it's just that demand is insane. Japan has lotteries for a lot of things even outside of pokemon. Huge demand, not enough supply.

This isn’t great for being able to plan your trip, a lot of people have already payed for hotels/flights and now may not even be able to attend

A lottery makes sense, holding it in advance so you know if you'll actually be able to get in or not makes sense, but the requirement to pick it up within 72 hours of the lottery being held in advance seems like an unfortunate logistical issue that severely limits the ability of anyone outside of Japan being interested in attending as a spectator to access the event. I don't know how sizeable a population that is, but I'd expect a bit more thought put into something like this.
"Selected individuals will be e-mailed and have 72 hours to purchase up to two badges. They will cost 2,000 yen each (about $15). When you pick up your badge at Worlds, you’ll receive two booster packs."

You have to buy the badges within 72 hours of being contacted for winning the drawing, but you won't pick them up until Worlds; thankfully no one needs to go to Japan in two weeks to get them.

I couldn’t anyway go to Japan because only flight would cost 1100€ or even more than that :D

This isn’t great for being able to plan your trip, a lot of people have already payed for hotels/flights and now may not even be able to attend
There was a rather distinct chance that this could have happened anyway. Same thing happened to people who planned to go to NAIC, but couldn't get into the main event or get a spectator badge.

Back