Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Responding to the news that his purchase may be fake, Logan Paul has announced he’ll be verifying his 1st edition Base Set case this weekend. He’ll be joined by Baseball Card Exchange, the authentication company that originally certified his box. This presumably means the box will be opened, as it’s the first step to determining if products like these are real.

update on this: I’m flying to Chicago this weekend to verify the case with BBCE, the company who insured its authenticity
to be continued… https://t.co/grLMa92JCM
— Logan Paul (@LoganPaul) January 5, 2022

However, it will be difficult for the Pokemon community to believe any claims of authenticity unless Paul opens the box and invites the hobby’s experts...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Hongo

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly, I hope it’s fake. The overblown hype just hurts the hobby and it’s been almost 2 years now. Stock supplies have been getting better-ish, especially back in November, but now it’s wiped out again, minus SWSH Base Set ETB’s.

This case being fake could possibly end the cardemic and kill the chase/hype for BS Charizard for a minute.

I’m ready to see boxes of cards on shelves again. Never thought I would miss the overloaded, lower shelves at stores that had GX/V boxes that had been there for a good year, sometimes longer, because no one wanted them.

Same goes for Japanese booster boxes. I miss being able to buy a few JPN boxes for a little over $100. No lottery system or gimmicks involved.

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
This case being fake could possibly end the cardemic and kill the chase/hype for BS Charizard for a minute.
I would hope so, but I really don't think so. The bubble for old cards is real, but there's also a bubble for the new cards that's even closer to popping. We need a story about a scalper that bought palettes of Pokemon product, only to find out TPCi released a massive second wave and their product is still worth MSRP.

Adman2099

Aspiring Trainer
I'm seeing a fair few scalpers who bought up palettes of Champions Path, Shining Fates etc now trying to shift it as fast as they can in various buy/sell groups.
I think Celebrations burnt a lot of the scalpers and flippers out, especially with what a lot of people consider to be a lackluster, bloated set with Fusion Strike shortly after. Though it's fair to say product is still limited on some sets, there is now a clear line between those sets that people don't want to though for scalping value (Battle Styles, Fusion Strike) and those they do want to buy up and scalp on (Evolving Skies).

I'm with everyone else on this, I hope these are fake. I hope this goes some way to popping the various bubbles and the market comes down. I am sick of seeing even Build & Battle pre-release packs being bought up and scalped for 150% retail. Believe it or not, some of us actually want to...you know....build and battle.

DMYSYS

Aspiring Trainer
Baseball Card Exchange has no incentive to admit they made an error (whether accidental or otherwise). Whatsoever. I'll be incredibly surprised if they do.

fleshrum

Cephalophore
He is the kind of dude who only has a passing interest, so whatever the result of whatever (likely nonsense) grading process, he'll then open it for a video. And good, he is exactly the kind of parasite we don't need clogging up the place.

dmein89

Aspiring Trainer
Has there been an update on this?
He found out during the live stream that he's not the only one with a case of 1st edition boxes. He said he's taking action for being lied to about the rarity of the box as he was sold it was the only one in the world. No update if the box was confirmed real or not.

Adman2099

Aspiring Trainer
He found out during the live stream that he's not the only one with a case of 1st edition boxes. He said he's taking action for being lied to about the rarity of the box as he was sold it was the only one in the world. No update if the box was confirmed real or not.
Sounds dubious at best, and rather this is the cover reason to be taking legal action, not that it's fake as confirming fake would tarnish BBCE's reputation as well as Logan's credibility as a collector/fan/whatever he is classed as.
Interesting nonetheless, thank you.

Serperior

~
Advanced Member

This is interesting to hear because Gary has a semi-sealed box of 1st Edition Base that's well-documented and aware of in the PTCG collector base. Seeing how Gary and Logan have a friendly relationship, I don't see how Logan wouldn't have known this. Perhaps he was making a distinction between sealed/semi-sealed, (a part of the lid of Gary's case is cut open to reveal the top of a few of the boxes inside), but otherwise this was common knowledge.

dmein89

Aspiring Trainer
This is interesting to hear because Gary has a semi-sealed box of 1st Edition Base that's well-documented and aware of in the PTCG collector base. Seeing how Gary and Logan have a friendly relationship, I don't see how Logan wouldn't have known this. Perhaps he was making a distinction between sealed/semi-sealed, (a part of the lid of Gary's case is cut open to reveal the top of a few of the boxes inside), but otherwise this was common knowledge.
Gary is the one who told him that he has the same box here is the quote:

The YouTuber revealed that he didn’t give it a second thought as the collectible had been authenticated by BBCE. “I didn’t even consider for a second that it might not have been real,” he said. The influencer was shocked when Gary ‘Pokemon King’ told him that he had the same exact sealed 1st Edition collectible as he had believed that his box was “one of a kind.”

“Wait, wait, wait. I didn’t know that! Six of your 1st Edition boxes are also in a case?” Paul exclaimed. Stunned, he then sat in silence before saying “Gary, Gary. Bro, what? I didn’t know this.” The YouTuber eventually replied, “Now that you are mentioning it, yeah, I should have been like ‘Gary, by the way. what do you think about this?’ I’m so caught up in other stuff right now. I just didn’t even know.”

Serperior

~
Advanced Member
Gary is the one who told him that he has the same box here is the quote:

The YouTuber revealed that he didn’t give it a second thought as the collectible had been authenticated by BBCE. “I didn’t even consider for a second that it might not have been real,” he said. The influencer was shocked when Gary ‘Pokemon King’ told him that he had the same exact sealed 1st Edition collectible as he had believed that his box was “one of a kind.”

“Wait, wait, wait. I didn’t know that! Six of your 1st Edition boxes are also in a case?” Paul exclaimed. Stunned, he then sat in silence before saying “Gary, Gary. Bro, what? I didn’t know this.” The YouTuber eventually replied, “Now that you are mentioning it, yeah, I should have been like ‘Gary, by the way. what do you think about this?’ I’m so caught up in other stuff right now. I just didn’t even know.”
Wow. He has a direct line to one of the most esteemed collectors in his phone and didn't reach out...that's kinda wild. The drama is certainly creating commotion so perhaps not calling Gary is working to his benefit but if I were in Logan's shoes, I'm calling everybody I know that's in the community to look at the case before dropping seven figures on it.