• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Lightning Deck Help for a Beginner (Raichu/Ampharos)

ElectricalSplash

Pokemon Fan
As EspeonROX suggested i have edited my post. Please dismiss the title as my deck mainly focuses on electric types. I am fairly new to the game and am thinking of joining a league. Please don't judge my deck too harshly as I am just starting off and most of my cards come from the HS trainer Kit. I would rerally appreciate it if you guys could give me some card ideas for my deck. I my self have also considerd adding a 1-1 Floatzel GL Lv X. By the way i am looking for cheaper cards and would prefer them to be from Platinum on. Keep in mind that I am just about to start league and am not looking for complex strategies, just something to better my deck. Thanks in advance.
You will notice that my deck has changed since the last time. This is what I am considering taking to league.

Pokemon: (19)
2 Magikarp(HS)
2 Gyrados(HS)
2 Raichu(HS)
2 Pikachu(HS)
2 Mareep(plat)
2 Flaffy(HS)
1 Ampharos(plat)
2 Dragonite FB (SV)
2 Electike(AR)
2 Manectrike(AR)

Trainers/supporters: (23)
3 Pokemon collector(HS)
2 Moomoo milk(HS)
3 poke ball(HS)
2 energy switch(HS)
2 switch(HS)
1 pokemon rescue(plat)
1 prof elms training method(HS)
2 bench shields(AR)
1 life herb(Plat)
2 Bill(HS)
1 Energy Restore(AR)
2 Pokemon Communication(HS)

Energy: (18)
6 Water
12 electric

I am aware my deck sucks and am open to many suggestions as the league i will be attending sells singles.
Basically the strategy is to use raichu, ampharos and gyarados as main attackers. The Dragonite is an SP counter since its first attack Mach Blow does 80 base damage only against sp's. I use my trainers/supporters to find the pokemon I need as well as heal them. I wish I had more copies of energy restore or a card with a similar effect because i constantly have to discard with my raichu's attack. Manectric is just a filler pokemon as i really dont have anything else worth mentioning right now and it is there for backup. If you have any advice such as which cards to get ride of or which singles I should buy, I am open to suggestions but remember, I would prefer Platinum-on. Thanks.

RE: help for a beginner

Hello! Welcome to the Beach! Anyway, i'm no expert, but you might need some more pokemon. I'd try to base the number of Pokemon off of a a theme deck list. You also might want too try getting some theme decks. Also, try to find a type to base your deck off. For example, if you wanted a Fire deck, pick a good fire pokemon like: Blaziken, Typhlosion, Charizard etc. Or a Water deck, grass electric. I'm guessing you'll want a Electric deck, so heres some considerable pokemon mascots for an electric deck.

Electivire
Ampharos
Zapdos
i can't think of any more at the moment.
Or, if you want, you could add on to your current deck.I don't have any more suggestions.
THX Have a nice day!

~AUSA

oh! and if you were to add a floatzel gl lv. x, you should add some buizels and regular floatzels ( and i mean a few )
This is because in Tournaments you have to evolve pokemon and put lv.xs onto them. Do the same for other pokemon so you have and, a better chance of picking them, therefore, a better chance of evolving pokemon to more powerful ones, and winning. again,
THX
~AUSA

Try basing your deck around one Pokemon and then have another for back up. 24 energy is WAAAAYYYY too much. I'd shorten it down to 15 at most. You need better trainers and 1 PokeTurn isn't going to be much help as you are probably not going to draw into it. Use either four Poketurns or none. Add Bebe's Search, Pokemon Communication and Uxie LA. Also try using only one type, not just throwing two random types together.

thanks for your advice! I've got some pokemon communications i can put in there and when i join legue i'll be sure to buy singles of bebe's search and uxie LA, or find someone to trade with. By the way i know my deck needs a lot of work:D

wouldn't it be easier(and cheaper) to use volkner's philosophy instead of uxie LA

Attachments

• imagesCA97W3YP.jpg
    imagesCA97W3YP.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 13

But Volkner's takes up your Supporter for the turn. Uxies are league promos anyway.

^ Doesn't really make them easier to get.

And on that note, you might as well use Professor Oak's New Theory (PONT) instead of Volkner's. Gives you a fresh hand.

RE: Water Deck Help for a Beginner

Welcome to the Beach! Before I start editing your list, please give us an idea of what you want your deck to do. What Pokemon would you like to focus on? What's your strategy? Edit your post and I'll give you some advice.

RE: Lightning Deck Help for a Beginner

OK. Thanks for editing! I'll give you my advice now.

For one, you have a pretty spread focus on the cards you want to use. I'd narrow the strategy down to maybe two or three Pokemon, because you're just starting out. I'd also focus on running a single type, which is probably going to be Lightning since your list is chock-full of it.

-2-2 Gyarados GS
-6 Water Energy

OK. So, we now have ten slots open. But we'll be taking more stuff out anyways. Now, I think we could have some sort of basic strategy by doing the following. If you could get your hands on another Ampharos from Platinum, we could get something going. Ampharos's Body shuts down Poke-Powers for any Pokemon that has damage counters on 'em. If we could combine that Ampharos with Manectric from Platinum, we could do serious spreading.

-2 Electrike PA
+3 Electrike PT
+1 Manectric PT
+1 Ampharos PT

We can spread with Manectric, and do some pretty decent damage with Manectric PA's Second Bite. Due to Vileplume UD and Spiritomb PA being popular more than ever, we need to cut out some Trainers.

-2 Moomoo Milk GS
-3 PokeBall GS
-2 Energy Switch GS
-2 Bill GS

We're gonna throw a few Supporters into the mix, so you can search out the Pokemon you need more efficiently. These cards aren't the best choice, but a little bit easier to get due to not being as popular.

+2 Professor Oak's Visit PA
+2 Copycat GS
+2 Professor Elm's Training Method GS

OK. We still have ten slots remaining. I would add a few cards that would really help your deck out such as Ampharos Prime, but I'm not sure if you'd get your hands on at least one or two of those. I'm also unsure of the fact if you're willing to buy a few necessary Supporters such as Professor Oak's New Theory GS, and Bebe's Search RR. Try throwing in a few more cards of your choice with the ten slots, and get back to the thread with your new opinion. Hopefully I helped!

^Thanks for the help!! I'll definately be on the lookout for those cards. As it stands right now, I'll probably be taking the deck I mentioned to league as I dont have those cards right now. However, I will be on the lookout for them when I start league. Until I come up with a new deck idea, i have some questions.

1) should I have more than 12 electric energies
2) i have a vileplume UD Reverse holo. Should I keep it and use it someday or should i trade/sell it to get some of the cards you mentioned like Ampharos and its Prime Variant. What do you think I can fetch for it seeing that it's a popular card.

Thanks for your opinion.
P.S. I probably won't be posting on this topic anymore until next Sunday after my first day of league.

That's fine. The Manectric/Ampharos deck isn't the best, but it's not the worst. I am introducing it to you so you have a better of idea of how to play a deck that actually has a strategy, rather than praying you get two Energy on that Raichu and hit for 100, then get KO'd.

Keep the Plume. If you really want a good deck that we all see today, it's VileGar. You can check out a sample list in the Competitive TCG area.

Twelve Lightning Energy should be enough, but I'd throw in some Call Energy if you have those to make your set-up faster.

how should i play the manectrics? An even 2-2 Split of arceus and platinum or should i have more of one than the other?

Personally, the Manectric from Platinum are better. However, because you're starting out, I think that running two Manectric from Arceus and one Manectric from Platinum should be good enough for now. Normally, if I were to play this deck, I wouldn't even use the Manectric from Arceus because it takes quite a few turns to spread the damage. Then, to follow up with Second Bite, it's just slow. Don't worry about it though.

Back