Lets talk Programming!

bacon

!!!!!
Recently I've had to code extensively in MATLAB for my job, and after picking up the basics and becoming more confident with the syntax I'm really starting to enjoy it. With a language, compiler and enough RAM, I have the ability to create a code that simulates pretty much anything I can think of. That's pretty awesome.

So I thought, hey, let's make a thread and talk 1's and 0's. Maybe even a 2 if we get frisky. And here we are.

I'm thinking of picking up C++ relatively soon, too. MATLAB is kind of ridiculously expensive to purchase for my own personal needs oh god why is it $3000

Boobies.

Edit: Can someone explain to me why the thread title was changed? Like I don't mind or anything, but it seems a little odd that someone would go out of their way to do that (Original title: "Programming")

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
And you've had to use MATLAB for your job? That's interesting. What do you do at your job?

Besides MATLAB (which I've only had to use a few times for a Linear Algebra project) I've had some experience with Java in 12th grade and college, but I didn't get very far. I haven't done much programming beyond basic stuff, pretty much.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
It was probably changed to better reflect the subject matter (a discussion thread).

We've been getting on that lately.

Guts

CyberPhunk
I actually did some work with MATLAB during my freshman year of college, and was planning to pursue some classes dealing with C++ before I changed my major, haha. It's definitely some interesting (and useful) information to have, and I hope I can pursue it further down my college experience, if I have some free space.

bacon

!!!!!
Bolt the Cat said:
And you've had to use MATLAB for your job? That's interesting. What do you do at your job?

I work with medical machinary. Like most machines of their kind, they follow the process of Recieve Input -> Compute -> Display Output. Our work is a little secret due to patenting law, but it's mostly about checking blood samples.

My job with MATLAB is to simulate what happens in that Compute stage, by mimicing the code. With this, I can see what parts of the Compute stage need improving, could be added, etc. As a medical machine puts forth a number that could impact a doctor's diagnosis of a patient, it's very very important that the coding is as robust and sensible as possible.

Breakfast Cereal

Aspiring Trainer
I plan on diving into Java pretty soon. I know a few professors and they told me to start programming with Java.
Does anyone here happen to know good resources to use to start learning teaching myself?

J

Juliacoolo

I just know Java, HTML, and some C++ :[

Speaking of which, I would IMMENSELY appreciate if any java-competent individual would take a look at the code for a game that I'm working on. It is blowing PMJ's and my mind on why it's not working ;_; Coding is great, but can easily become a nightmare.

bacon

!!!!!
Tsoliades said:
I plan on diving into Java pretty soon. I know a few professors and they told me to start programming with Java.
Does anyone here happen to know good resources to use to start learning teaching myself?

I find it's helpful to set yourself a basic task (like maybe some mathematical problem) and see if you can program a solution to it, by refering to example codes written by other people. I find I learn better by experimentation and goofing around.

I was kind of thinking about setting some fun problems in the OP so people can try their hand at them, and then we can share our solution codes and learn a thing or two or sumthin. Or maybe we can all try and learn a language together. : )

PG24

<Pride> I'm my wildest fantasy
Advanced Member
Unfortunately, I never got into programming despite a strong desire to do so. My school never offered any programs on it, thus I was never given a chance to learn it at a serious level. Now I don't have any time to learn programming outside of simple html, for whatever that means lol. Looking back on things, I'm actually very mad there were never classes on programming available for me and possibly others. Programming offers a wide range of jobs (there can never be too many programmers!), so for it not to be available to some before the college level of education for kids to sample it just seems like bad career planning to me.

Speaking of which, here's a cool video on just what I'm talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jAJQKjOA-U