Discussion Legacy Format Help

GengarGuys

"Pickle Enthusiast"
Hey guys, Gengar here. I'm in need of help with the Legacy format. I know I want to do something with Crobat Prime, Terrakion NVI, Mewtwo-EX, Yanmega, or Meganium. Thanks! :D

I also think we could form a tier list for the Legacy format in this thread. Thanks!

Only decks I've ever seen in Legacy are TDK, VirGen, Weavile, and Round. I'm only including decks with a specific strategy, and not a bunch of random stuff thrown together. I saw a couple Typhlosion Prime decks and one Feraligatr Prime deck since they were sold in the shop, but that's it.

As for tiers, I don't think there are enough decks to really tier. I'd say Weavile and VirGen would be tier one; TDK, tier two; Round, tier two or three.

For someone who hasn't been playing PTCGO since its beta, it's definitely hard to get your hands on some of the older cards. Your best bet is to try and get lucky in Legacy tournaments; one win will guarantee you at least one pack.

I forgot about Accelgor variants. Tier one or two, I'd say.

Hey guys, Gengar here. I'm in need of help with the Legacy format. I know I want to do something with Crobat Prime, Terrakion NVI, Mewtwo-EX, Yanmega, or Meganium. Thanks!
Your best bet is probably playing something like a Darkrai-EX/Mewtwo-EX/Terrakion deck that won the 2012 World Championships.

Only decks I've ever seen in Legacy are TDK, VirGen, Weavile, and Round. I'm only including decks with a specific strategy, and not a bunch of random stuff thrown together.
Your best bet is probably playing something like a Darkrai-EX/Mewtwo-EX/Terrakion deck that won the 2012 World Championships.

I don't know if PMJ was aware of what won the 2012 World Championships or if PMJ is just better informed than myself and that deck isn't viable in the full-on HeartGold/SoulSilver format and that is why PMJ left it out, but it is a good lead in to be wary of dismissing a deck because it seems to lack a specific strategy. There are a lot of decks that have been competitive that - at a glance - looks like someone just took some of their best cards and threw them into a deck with whatever else they had lying around. Again, not saying PMJ did that, just how he worded his post got me thinking.

So are there no Eelektrik (NVI) variants working out? Landorus-EX used to field a formidable deck even before it had Crobat (PHF) or Strong Energy to support it. Your best bet it to head on over to bulbapedia and read up on World Championship decks from these periods if we want to get a hypothetical list worked out. I suspect that one of the reasons decks are so unfocused is just how few people have played consistently the entire run of the PTCGO while doing an excellent job building their online collection. I mean, how many people can run Magneboar right now? Throw in the split focus; does a player worry about Legacy or Fates Collide?

When I said that, I meant decks that are clearly just random rares tossed together. There is no deck synergy and the Pokemon in the deck don't work well with each other.

I admittedly did not think of the Terrakion/Mewtwo deck that won worlds, because I've never seen it used. I also ran into my first Rayquaza/Eels deck last night, which is another archetype I totally forgot about.

I think the main reason these decks aren't seen is simply because the Legacy format has a much smaller player base and a lot of good Trainers come from the HGSS era, which are almost impossible to come by. I also imagine a lot of players simply don't have the cards to build the archetypes of old, which is another reason why they are never seen.

I think the main reason these decks aren't seen is simply because the Legacy format has a much smaller player base and a lot of good Trainers come from the HGSS era, which are almost impossible to come by. I also imagine a lot of players simply don't have the cards to build the archetypes of old, which is another reason why they are never seen.

Yup, that is what I meant when I talked about long time players and building their collection. Non-long time players didn't have much of a reason to bother with older cards unless they were also collectors, and the introduction of Legacy meant the demand quickly outstripped supply, driving up prices for already rare cards.

Well i did a bit of Seaching But Why Not Magnezone Prime/ Eels seems like something that would work

Well i did a bit of Seaching But Why Not Magnezone Prime/ Eels seems like something that would work
Not sure exactly what you mean by that. I do know that magnezone puts energy in the lost zone, so unless you had some primary lightning attackers, like Rayquaza-EX DRX or Raikou-EX, Eels would be defunct.

Also, unless you owned a couple Tropical Beach, making magnezone viable as a stage 2 in a Big Basics format is a hard battle.

So are there no Eelektrik (NVI) variants working out? Landorus-EX used to field a formidable deck even before it had Crobat (PHF) or Strong Energy to support it.

I think I saw Landorus a few times, but I don't think is common as TDK or Lugia decks.

I've been playing Rayquaza/Eels/Keldeo these weeks and it's probably the best Legacy deck I have right now. Good matchup with Sableye/Darkrai, V-Create Victini helps against Safeguard and VirGen... its biggest problem is with certain non-EX decks like Weavile/Eggs, Tool Drop and Garchomp/Altaria.

Other things I've played include Reshiram/Typhlosion, Keldeo/Blastoise (or Keldeo/Feraligatr to get past Ability lock) and Weavile/Eggs - the latter being a list that I don't want to touch until I get some Sableye and more Junk Arm, and that takes me to...

I suspect that one of the reasons decks are so unfocused is just how few people have played consistently the entire run of the PTCGO while doing an excellent job building their online collection. I mean, how many people can run Magneboar right now? Throw in the split focus; does a player worry about Legacy or Fates Collide?

Lots of decks I find in tournaments are still unfocused, but I think players' collections are improving. My first Legacy deck was a very poor Round list that I threw together thinking "I need to play Legacy to get more Legacy cards so why not see how it's like" and I managed to win a few tournaments where I wasn't squashed like a bug by some Reshisplosion or VirGen list.
After some point I moved onto Reshisplosion, tried oher archetypes I mentioned above and now I'm farming packs to get a few staples I really need like Junk Arm.

Personally I don't mind it is taking my focus away from Fates Collide; I finished the ladder recently and I'm always buying shop bundles despite the format of their packs, so I already have a few good new things, but Legacy is more attractive for me to put some work and thought on now because Standard... doesn't feel really good right now. It's too centralized in Night March vs. T1 item lock counters, the former being boring for me and the latter being even more anti-fun to be honest.
(I did use Vespiquen/Vileplume for ladder grinding these weeks but it's too "T1 item lock or you're wrecked" and at some point I just lost all the will to play it. Maybe my list wasn't the best and/or not being my style made playing it more difficult, but it's frustrating and too much like work for a game that's supposed to be fun.)

I remember people being worried that Legacy would stagnate fast because of the lack of new cards coming to refresh its metagame, but honestly, there are so many options of top-tier and rogue decks to try and it's a much slower metagame than Legacy. I think it's a format that people will always come back to when they get tired of Standard being too fast and full of onesided NM/T1 item lock matches.

I remember people being worried that Legacy would stagnate fast because of the lack of new cards coming to refresh its metagame, but honestly, there are so many options of top-tier and rogue decks to try and it's a much slower metagame than Legacy. I think it's a format that people will always come back to when they get tired of Standard being too fast and full of onesided NM/T1 item lock matches.

One of the things undermining my confidence about the quality of past formats has been murmurings and even some actual articles explaining how even well trod formats like Base Set through... not sure what, but I think its Gym Challenge at the latest, have seen new decks springing up. Supposedly it involved a lot of long time and/or top players who just thought they'd give it a go and when they did, they applied what had been learned over the years and found better decks that the old "best".

By now that is probably old news; my main point is that yes, I think Legacy will have a decent amount of decks and some surprises to help keep it going. While it uses old cards, this is a new card pool; the HeartGold/SoulSilver through Call of Legends and their respective promos only shared some time with the earliest BW-era sets. Even just the difference in information available about the Pokémon TCG back then versus now is surprising, so card pool + better understanding of the game = new-but-familiar-format. ;)

Back