• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Alt. Format [Legacy + Expanded] Creep Show Gengar Spread

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
Gengar-BKT-60.jpg

Pokemon - 16

3 - Gengar BKT 60/162
1 - Haunter CRI 37/111
2 - Gastly BKT 58/162
1 - Gastly CRI 36/111

2 - Giratina PLS 62/135
2 - Giratina Lv. X DP38
1 - Mewtwo DET 12/18
1 - Mewtwo Lv. X DP28
1 - Latios SM88
1 - Latias SM87
1 - Tapu Lele GX GRI 60/145

Trainer - 31
1 - Evosoda XY 116/146
4 - Max Elixir BKP 102/122
1 - Nest Ball SUM 123/149
3 - Rare Candy PRC 135/160
2 - Super Rod BKT 149/162
1 - Timer Ball SUM 134/149
3 - Ultra Ball SUM 135/149
3 - VS Seeker PHF 109/119

1 - Colress PLS 118/135
1 - Guzma BUS 115/147
2 - Lysandre AOR 78/98
3 - N FCO 105/124
1 - Pokemon Collector HS 97/123
1 - Professor Juniper DEX 98/10

1 - Altar of the Moone GRI 117/145
2 - Broken Time Space PL 104/127
1 - Phoebe's Stadium PK 79/108

Energy - 13
9 - Psychic Energy
4 - Double Colourless Energy

I play casual, so where I play allows any card/set from Base Set 1 onward, so some of the cards I use are not in Expanded. I have been testing this deck against my Ultra Necrozma deck during this quarantine (that deck will be posted soon), so it has not yet been tested against Tag Team decks.

Gengar is the star of the "Creep Show" (Thank you, I'll be here all week, try the veal!), as the entire deck revolves around it. The main attack I am focused on instantly knocks out the opponent's active Pokemon if they have three or more damage counters. We can set Gengar up for easy kills by spreading 30s around the opponent's side.

Giratina Lv. X helps in this regard with its attack Darkness Lost, which does 30 damage to each of your opponent's Pokemon, and if any Pokemon is eliminated by this attack, then they are sent to the Lost Zone (the secondary effect rarely ever sees use, so it's the main effect that we are focused on). This attack sets up all of your opponent's Pokemon for 1HKOs by Gengar unless they heal. Darkness Lost costs a hefty two psychic energy and two colourless energy, which is why Max Elixir is included in the deck.

Other Pokemon can assist Gengar by doing 30 damage across the board. Latios can deal 30 damage to both your opponent's active and one of their benched Pokemon for two colourless energy (a DCE can be used for a turn one hit), and Mewtwo can hit for 30 and disable one of the active Pokemon's moves for one psychic and one colourless energy. Mewtwo Lv. X can also be put onto Mewtwo to obtain an ability which grants immunity to all effects of attacks, including damage, dealt by Basic Pokemon. This makes Mewtwo a great staller while you set up your threats, especially in this currently Tag Team infested meta (VMAX can bypass this, so watch out!).

Switching back to Gengar using Phoebe's Stadium or Altar of the Moone is a breeze, making for easy KOs.

Switching your opponent's Pokemon is necessary for this deck, as it could mean the difference between taking 1 prize card or 3 prize cards. Lysandre and Guzma are included for this reason, and you can get them back with VS Seeker, prolonging their use.

Gengar is a Stage 2, which can be tough to reach, which is why I included Rare Candies and Broken Time Space.
Rare Candies can boost a Gastly right into a Gengar, but only after it has been on the playing field for at least a turn. Broken Time Space skips that turn, allowing you to evolve on the turn you play or evolve a Pokemon.

Possible Removals:

Latias: Latias does 30 damage and heals 30 from each of your benched Pokemon for one psychic energy, as well as nullifies Latios' retreat cost. It sounds good on paper, but we already have retreat cost lowering stadiums, and most Pokemon in this deck will be one shotted before they can be healed. Latias is really only good for turn one, and even then Latios can do better.

Super Rod: In favour of Rescue Stretcher. Rescue Stretcher is better in this case, bringing Pokemon in the discard pile straight to your hand.

Evosoda: In favour of Evolution Incense or Timer Ball.

Possible Additions:

Parallel City: Parallel City can remove Tapu Lele GX from the bench once you have played it so that it doesn't get pulled to the active spot and sniped for two prizes.

Rescue Stretcher: Better than Super Rod, will replace Super Rod.

Gastly UNB 67: This Gastly would work quite well with the deck, as when it dies it creates two Haunters on the bench. This speeds the process of getting Gengars onto the bench to activate Creep Show. If this change were to be made in place of the other Gastlys, there would have to be less Rare Candies and more Haunters. That would definitely make the deck more consistent so you can get more Creep Show KOs.

Tapu Koko SM30: Tapu Koko would work especially well if more Haunter CRI 37/111 were added, as Tapu hits all of the opponent's Pokemon for 20 damage. Haunter adds 2 damage counters to each of the opposing Pokemon that have any counters already, which makes for a low energy combo that leaves all opposing Pokemon in Creep Show's radar.

Latios SLG: Another Latios couldn't hurt, it has great potential for being a turn one attacker, setting up two foes for Gengar.

Noivern (Echolocation) and the newly announced Salamence V would also be great additions to the deck.

Any suggestions to improve this deck would be greatly appreciated, and if you decide to try this deck, I hope you have fun doing so!

GiratinaLVXPlatinum124.jpg
mewtwo-lv.x-legends-awakened-la-144.jpg

Last edited:

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
Just bumping! I realize that this deck is way outside of the current meta, but I am hoping to get some kind of deck help (new cards are absolutely welcome, as there are more people familiar with them) as it seems a bit clunky. I mostly need help with the damage spread and the trainer line. Thanks in advance!

Mora

Don't Panic
Hope you don't mind, I added the scans of Giratina and Mewtwo to your post because I was curious what they did, and thought I'd save everyone else the trouble.

You might consider adding Crobrat PHF. When you play it from the hand, you can put 3 damage counters on any of your opponent's Pokémon, and it's attack does the same thing for [C]. The Golbat from the same set is also good. 2 damage counters on anything when you play it from the hand, it's attack does 10 damage to all of your opponents Pokémon for just [C]. I recommend Zubat PLS just for free retreat. Probably max BTS because that card is definitely broken! Dimension Valley is also a good option as it would allow you to play less Energy in the deck, which helps you fit everything into the list.

TheTempest

Aspiring Trainer
Giratina Lv. X needs a lot of energy to work... so how do you get all four energy onto it? I really like the Crobat idea, as it can spread to whoever you want, and moderately quickly.

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
I mostly ran an engine of Max Elixir and DCE, so it would take about 2 turns to power him up if I was lucky, but if Dimension Valley is added I could have him attacking as soon as he evolves. Crobat seems like a great replacement though, especially with Scoop Up Net and Rescue Stretcher, but the newly announced Salamence V looks promising! I could do a lot with this deck's spread, including adding Trevenant BREAK or even Noivern (Echolocation) with a Double Dragon Energy, but I will most likely either stick with Giratina or switch to Bats.

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
thanks for the list
ive been tryin to make a deck with that Gengar for such a long Tim
Not a problem! If you are looking to use it then I would definitely take the suggestions in the comments into account. The Crobat strategy is a total gem with this kind of deck, and I have been experimenting with it.

legolover322

Aspiring Trainer
Here's a thought! Why don't you swap out all of your Gastlys (Gastlies?) for the one from Unbroken Bonds? If it gets knocked out (as this very well could happen, due to Stage 2-based decks being spotty at times), you can search your deck for 2(!!!) Haunters and place them onto your bench. For. Absolutely. Nothing. Seems like a solid engine to me!

Dravinator

Aspiring Trainer
Here's a thought! Why don't you swap out all of your Gastlys (Gastlies?) for the one from Unbroken Bonds? If it gets knocked out (as this very well could happen, due to Stage 2-based decks being spotty at times), you can search your deck for 2(!!!) Haunters and place them onto your bench. For. Absolutely. Nothing. Seems like a solid engine to me!
I absolutely thought of Gastly UNB 67 as an idea, as its mechanic could even replace the Rare Candies. I don't currently own those Gastly cards (I mostly play physical), but those and the Crobat line would make this a fierce rogue deck.