Discussion League Cup Recap (Metagross/Necrozma)

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
Hello friends, I saw some people posting their league cup results recently and thought I would share mine.
I went to my first ever League Cup over the weekend and ended up making top cut out of 83 participants! (eventually ending 6th place)
The deck I chose to run was metagross/necrozma primarily because of all the gardevoir and I like the play style and consistency. The tournament was 7 rounds, best of one, 30 minute matches.

First Round - Gardevoir (0-0-0)
Well as it happens, the first match was against gardy :), he ended up having a slow start and tilted off the face of the earth (he said it was his first time playing the deck). The game ended quickly w/o him taking a single prize. I proceeded to walk around the tables and gardy, along with greninja, was the most popular deck I saw.

Second Round - Gardevoir (1-0-0)
This game was much closer than the last, but the matchup was too good for me, 1 guzma was all I needed to take out the gardy he was charging on the bench (to ohko my metagross) and it was a rap.

Third Round - Tapu Bulu/Vikavolt (2-0-0)
Definitely the most hype of my matches. I got a really slow start and she was picking off my beldum left and right. She only had 1 prize to my 6, and I realized she had strong charged almost all her energy away. I proceeded to N her down to 1 card, and she was short 1 grass energy the rest of the game. Whenever she would get to 3 cards I would N her again, forcing her to top deck an energy/recycler to win. I came back just in time and took the game!

Fourth Round - Gardevoir (3-0-0)
Same result as round 2.

Fifth Round - Pikachu GX/Magnezone (4-0-0)
Now this game was interesting and heartbreaking. Interesting in the I had never seen this decklist before and heartbreaking because I made a crucial misplay that cost me the game. If you are unfamiliar with the list, it utilizes Pikachu's second move [3 lightning energy - 'discard all energy attached to this pokemon, this attack does 50X each energy discarded'] & Magnezone's ability ['you may attach as many lightning energy from your hand as you like'] This lets you hit big numbers quickly.
This deck ended up placing top 4 so major props to him.

Sixth Round - Golisopod GX (4-1-0)
This was the most important game because the winner was guaranteed top cut. His deck was not the garbodor variant THANK GOD so I was able to dismantle it fairly easily. He was not able to 2hit ko my metagross which really messed with him considering I'm able to max potion so much damage away. Definitely a well fought match.

Seventh Round - TIE (5-1-0)
We both agreed to ID so we were guarenteed top cut, putting my final score to (5-1-1)

TOP CUT MATCH - Metagross
Now I was already nervous going into top cut because there were FIVE metagross and I have very little experience in the mirror. His either did not run necrozma or at least he never played it. They were close matches but I ended up getting too flustered after he called the Judge over due to "pace of play issues". Now I did not feel like I was taking long at all for my turns, and I was then instructed that I could not look at his discard during my turn. This definitely affected my play but oh well :(.
I did learn more about the mirror, my goal was to use necrozma's black ray GX to put his metagross to 150 for free ohkos, but he proceeded to suprise me with the Tapu lele GX heal to 2 of his metagross.
He was able to take easy choice band KOs on my necrozma.
It then came down to a Max Potion war and he ended up lasting me out both games.

Overall it was a very fun experience and look forward to going to more League Cups in the future! P.S. greninja ended up placing first.
Here is the list I ran:

Pokemon: 17

4 Beldum
2 Metang
4 Metagross GX
2 Alolan Vulpix
3 Tapu Lele GX
2 Necrozma GX

Trainers: 31

Items

4 Ultra Ball
4 Rare Candy