Ruling Laying Down Prize Cards

Secret Pikachu

Aspiring Trainer
Hello!

My question today is: when do you lay down your Prize Cards when setting up for a game?

It was my understanding that Prize Cards were layed down after both players drew their hand and put a Basic Pokemon on to the field (face down).

I've only ever been to two tournaments (and they were prereleases). I saw most players lay down their Prize Cards before it was determined that I had a Basic Pokemon. In some situations this happened and I mulliganed, therefore they drew an extra card (after already laying their Prizes down).

A clarification as to when Prize Cards should be layed down would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

CarlosDuranJr

Carlitosbob
They did it properly in regards to when you lay down the prize cards. You place them when you have a basic, but you don't do the mulligan draw/s till your opponent has a basic. You cannot draw a card (either for the start of turn 1 or mulligan) until both player's Prizes are layed out.

DNA

Goodbye, everyone. I'll miss you all.
Advanced Member
Step-by-step:

~Both players draw 7 cards and check for Basic Pokemon.
~If a player doesn't have a Basic in the opening hand, that player returns his hand to the deck and draws a new 7-card hand.
~Choose 1 Basic Pokemon in your hand and set it as the active Pokemon. That Pokemon must remain as the Active Pokemon during set-up.
~You can choose any remaining Basics in your hand and set them as benched Pokemon.
~Then put out your prize cards.
~At this point, if the opposing player had a mulligan, they may draw 1 card per mulligan. (The exception is when both players mulligan at once, in which case there is no extra draw.) Any extra Pokemon drawn in this way may be set as benched Pokemon (but not Active).

Sleeping Snorlax

Aspiring Trainer
Deus: Nightmare Autarch said:
Step-by-step:

~Both players draw 7 cards and check for Basic Pokemon.
~If a player doesn't have a Basic in the opening hand, that player reveals he/she has no basics, returns his hand to the deck and draws a new 7-card hand.
~Choose 1 Basic Pokemon in your hand and set it as the active Pokemon. That Pokemon must remain as the Active Pokemon during set-up.
~You can choose any remaining Basics in your hand and set them as benched Pokemon.
~Then put out your prize cards.
~At this point, if the opposing player had a mulligan, they may draw 1 card per mulligan. (The exception is when both players mulligan at once, in which case there is no extra draw.) Any extra Pokemon drawn in this way may be set as benched Pokemon (but not Active).
Don't forget you have to prove that you mulliganed. oh. right. yeah I should have mentioned that.