• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Lava Slugs (Magcargo GX)

Jack Saunders

Aspiring Trainer
This is a really fun deck to play, but I’m having some problems with making sure I have all the resources every turn, in particular, Pokémon search.
Help is appreciated!
The list:

Pokémon:
4 Slugma CLS
3 Magcargo GX LST
2 Magcargo CLS
1 Victiny prism DGM
1 Blitzle CLS
1 Zebstrika CLS
1 Tapu- Lele GRI
1 Oranguru SM
1 Ditto Prism LST

Trainers:
3 Lilie
3 Cynthia
3 Guzma
2 Kukui
1 Mallow
4 Nest ball
4 Ultra ball
2 Great ball
2 Choice band
2 Bodybuilding Dumbbells
1 Rescue stretcher
1 Pal pad
1 field Blower
1 Max potion
1 switch
1 Energy recycle system
1 Heat factory Prism

Energy:
12 fire energy

The main strat for this deck is to stack an energy on top of the deck with Baby Magcargo and accelerate it using Magcargo GX’s ability which discards the top card of your deck, if it’s an energy, attach it to one of your Pokémon. Then you blow up everything with Magcargo GX’s attack which does 50+ 50 more for each basic energy you discarded from this Pokémon. It’s really fun and will have a pretty good matchup against most decks in the format

Some cards that may need explaining:
Bodybuilding Dumbbells: Holy is this such a good card. It put Magcargo GX up to 250 making it a tank as well as a heavy hitter. Choice band is really good as well, but against shrine and lower HP Pokémon, it is invaluable

Max Potion: After you discard the energy off of Magcargo GX, especially if you have Dumbbells on, it’s hard for your opponent to OHKO you Magcargo. Max potion will heal all that damage off for free. Really good niche card.

Slugma for CLS: has 10 less HP than the one from LST, but has a much better first attack, which stop Pokémon from retreating. Plus the difference between 70 and 80 is not as big as 70 and 60.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
This is a really fun deck to play, but I’m having some problems with making sure I have all the resources every turn, in particular, Pokémon search.
Help is appreciated!
The list:

Pokémon:
4 Slugma CLS
3 Magcargo GX LST
2 Magcargo CLS
1 Victiny prism DGM
1 Heatran FLI
1 Tapu- Lele GRI
1 Oranguru SM
1 Ditto Prism LST

Trainers:
3 Lilie
3 Cynthia
3 Guzma
2 Kukui
1 Tate & Liza
1 Mallow
4 Nest ball
4 Ultra ball
2 Great ball
2 Choice band
2 Bodybuilding Dumbbells
1 Rescue stretcher
1 Pal pad
1 field Blower
1 Max potion
1 switch
1 Alter of the Sunne
1 Heat factory Prism

Energy:
12 fire energy

The main strat for this deck is to stack an energy on top of the deck with Baby Magcargo and accelerate it using Magcargo GX’s ability which discards the top card of your deck, if it’s an energy, attach it to one of your Pokémon. Then you blow up everything with Magcargo GX’s attack which does 50+ 50 more for each basic energy you discarded from this Pokémon. It’s really fun and will have a pretty good matchup against most decks in the format

Some cards that may need explaining:
Bodybuilding Dumbbells: Holy is this such a good card. It put Magcargo GX up to 250 making it a tank as well as a heavy hitter. Choice band is really good as well, but against shrine and lower HP Pokémon, it is invaluable

Heatran: good 1 prize attacker that hits 130 and has a pretty decent first attack, good for non-GX matchups

Max Potion: After you discard the energy off of Magcargo GX, especially if you have Dumbbells on, it’s hard for your opponent to OHKO you Magcargo. Max potion will heal all that damage off for free. Really good niche card.

Alter of the Sunne: I don’t have room for weakness policy, because you need either a bodybuilding Dumbbells or choice band on Magcargo GX. With Blacephelon expected to be a dominent deck, there will be a few water decks, mainly quagsire focused decks. This is a way of making sure they can’t take easy prizes. This is probably a card I would want maybe 1 more of just because of how weak this deck is to water. It also works as a counter stadium to shrine.

Slugma for CLS: has 10 less HP than the one from LST, but has a much better first attack, which stop Pokémon from retreating. Plus the difference between 70 and 80 is not as big as 70 and 60.

Any and all advice is appreciated!

I have been having fun with this deck as well, but I use 12 fire energy and 5 fairy energy and play 3 Mina supporters. The key to the deck is to get two Slugmas set up on turn 1 and evolve one to baby Magcargo and the other to Magcargo GX on turn 2. If you get 1 fire energy on Slugma turn one, you can get 3 more attached turn 2. One from hand, one with smooth over and then use Crushing Charge from the Magcargo GX. The third energy can be a fairy energy attached using Mina. Discard all 4 energies and do 250 damage on turn 2! Have a couple Tapu Leles in the deck to make sure you can get the Mina with LeLe if the Mina isn't already in your hand.

Apricorn Maker is a great newer supporter for searching out ball cards to get your Pokémon. I play 3 ultra ball, 2 nest ball and 2 timer balls in my deck. I run 2 Apricorn Makers from Celestial Storm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been having fun with this deck as well, but I use 12 fire energy and 5 fairy energy and play 3 Mina supporters. The key to the deck is to get two Slugmas set up on turn 1 and evolve one to baby Magcargo and the other to Magcargo GX on turn 2. If you get 1 fire energy on Slugma turn one, you can get 3 more attached turn 2. One from hand, one with smooth over and then use Crushing Charge from the Magcargo GX. The third energy can be a fairy energy attached using Mina. Discard all 4 energies and do 250 damage on turn 2! Have a couple Tapu Leles in the deck to make sure you can get the Mina with LeLe if the Mina isn't already in your hand.
Thanks! I never thought about Mina, that sounds really interesting, I’ll try it out!

I don’t know about Mina, it’s really cluncky and you have to take out a bunch of consistency cards to get it to work constantly, but Apricorn Maker or Fan club is good, gives extra search which is really needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know about Mina, it’s really cluncky and you have to take out a bunch of consistency cards to get it to work constantly, but Apricorn Maker or Fan club is good, gives extra search which is really needed.
The Mina works if you do 5 fairy energy to go along with 3 Minas. I play it online and do well with it.

PokeNav and Rotom Dex (Poke Finder) are great to ensure that there is a Fire Energy (or 2) on top of your deck for easy acceleration with Crushing Charge, and you can still use your Supporter for the time (as opposed to using Mallow to topdeck).

Instead of Mina, you should use Kiawe and use that first turn to get at least four energy on it so you can do more damage in subsequent turns. So if you plan on using Kiawe first turn, you can get rid of 2 Lillies to add 2 Kiawe and 1 more Cynthia.

I feel like Kiawe isn’t too good on eveolving fire Pokémon, due to them having such low hp, one Guzma from a Tapu Lele GX and there goes all of your energy, and a turn wasted. You need to get basics out so lilie is ideal to draw nest balls and such. I updated the list to including Zebstrika, it helps a ton with consistency and pairs well with baby Magcargo.

I think it would be better than Mina though.

Also, a 1-1 line of Zebrestrika is not going to help with consistency much. I would remove the Zebrastrika line. It is probably better to do Oranguru. With Oranguru you can smooth over and them draw the card you need.

Running Zebstrika and Oranguru might make bench space a bit tight, right?
Surprisingly not really you can have 6 Pokémon in play, 4 Magcargo, a 2/2 split is ideal, Zebstrika, and oranguru. If you need to use Tapu Lele-GX you can take out preferably the oranguru, or Zebstrika if nessesary. There is so many ways to draw cards, with oranguru and Zebstrika, as well as heat factory and your supporter for turn, missing one spot for Lele isn’t great, but it’s not the end of the world. By the time you need victiny, they should have taken a knock out, if they haven’t, then you are probably so far ahead that it won’t really matter

Back