Discussion Lack of creativity?

Pauk214

Aspiring Trainer
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on cards that use the names of other cards on them? Like recently with the rise of Garchomp, Lucario, and Cynthia. I personally feel that it kills creativity in deck building and that if you have to have the card to be used in junction with your main attacker named on said card it kind of brings the game down. I get that this all rises from the anime but is it beginning to be too forced of a transition?

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
It doesn't matter. It's not like you are forced to play that deck anyway. If you want to enjoy building your own deck then do so

Otaku

The wise fool?
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on cards that use the names of other cards on them? Like recently with the rise of Garchomp, Lucario, and Cynthia. I personally feel that it kills creativity in deck building and that if you have to have the card to be used in junction with your main attacker named on said card it kind of brings the game down. I get that this all rises from the anime but is it beginning to be too forced of a transition?

Some of us find that more creative... of the game's designers. Done well, it can lead to a better-balanced game than the "orphan" effects. Effects that don't connect to such things have a nasty habit of being too good or really bad because they are generic.

I know it is fun to "discover" new combos, but understand that most of the time... you're really not. There are people TPC pays to try and break the game. Most of what works has been discovered by the game's creators, because they need to know such things to avoid broken cards. So the stuff they miss, that the players discover? It is usually the stuff that causes problems.

Well... still no clue how they missed Lysandre's Trump Card causing problems. XP Sorry if I'm sounding like a buzzkill, and I do appreciate your concern about being force-fed combos... but the truth is they do it all the time, but with a tad more subtlety.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
This card game hasn't exactly been creative, or well-managed in such a long time. To be honest - I welcome this "Archetype" theme finally being added to the Pokemon TCG again. It creates budget decks, and allows players to build decks based on their favorite characters that are still decently viable. Cynthia as a deck has made me want to play the TCG at least casually again. I love Lucario, I love Garchomp, and Cynthia is right up there as one of my favorite champions.

If the Pokemon TCG keeps doing this, and does even more of them, then we'll have an alternative for players who are on a budget in this crazy localization game of "Let's not release the same products Japan does and opt for insanely overpriced product." Not just that, but there will be fun decks running around.

I know we haven't seen translations yet - but looking at the Dragon Storm leaks it's already fairly obvious that Blaine might have something to do with Charizard. So this could mean they intend to keep pumping decks like this out.