Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
Dunno if the solution to VMAXes is "okay guys, we'll just put 1 per set now, that will make them balanced". It's still like finding one raisin in a perfectly good cheesecake.

jperr

Aspiring Trainer
it's funny that you can see how they immediately realised how overpowered the mew deck was and started printing these obvious hard counters as damage control

Hukutus

GLC Enthusiast
Okay that Drapion V is just dumb, it's an easy include in nearly every deck to allow 1-shotting Mew for free.

Cradilyfan1512

Aspiring Trainer
Sunkern 2/10
Sunflora 8/10
Phantump 1/10
Trevenant 9/10
Kyurem 7/10
Kyurem VMAX 9/10
Glastrier 8/10
Rotom V 9/10
Dreepy 1/10
Drakloak 3/10
Dragapult 9/10
Spectrier 6/10
Drapion V 7/10 A good counter for Mew Vmax decks
Drapion Vstar 10/10 don’t let it get hit
Porygon 9/10
Porygon 2 9/10
Porygon Z 10/10
Toolbox 9/10

AmbientDinosaur

Aspiring Trainer
A pretty odd selection of cards in this reveal. Other than Toolbox synergizing with Rotom V, there aren't really any connecting themes between the cards. Drapion V/VStar is puzzling me the most. Drapion V is a battle style hate card, while the VStar cares about being at full health? And has a VStar power that gives you free paralysis and triple poison? I don't know, but I feel that there are too many disparate elements going on with this pokémon line.

Kyurem VMAX reminds me of Rayquaza VMAX, but seems easier to use. However, Max Frost does need a damage modifier to hit those key numbers for pokémon V, VStar and VMAX respectively. I wonder if the existing water-type support is enough for Kyurem to make a splash in the current meta.

Dragapult has such a fun attack and is a win flavour-wise. With that said, there are too many hoops to jump through for it to be a worthwhile attacker. If the attack discarded the Dreepy from your hand rather than your bench it would have been more feasible to use.

Rotom V is pretty decent, and definitely the one to use along with the VStar. The ability is perfect during the first turn, just like Zacian V. It also fits perfectly with Rotom VStar's game plan to rummage through your deck to dump as many tool cards as you can to be able to use your attack well.

Charmaster:)

Collecting, playing, & making family memories.
Okay, guys, let's take a moment to consider past alternate art trends. Pokemon usually gives us a Special Art (official designation for "alt art" (to distinguish these cards from run-of-the-mill reprints that are also called "alt arts")) for the set mascot. That would be Giratina. And THAT, I think, is the only Pokemon we can count on to receive a Special Art. Pokemon has also made a habit of sidelining more obvious choices such as Suicune V and Luxray V in favor of more obscure options. So please prepare yourselves for the possibility of Kyurem not getting a Special Art. Now, in Silver Lance, Jet Black Spirit, Blue Sky Stream, Towering/Skyscraping Perfection, Fusion Arts, Time Gazer, and Space Juggler, we've gotten three Special Art Vs (and, up to Fusion Arts, a VMAX), and, when we exclude outliers such as earlier E-block sets, Eevee Heroes, Mini Sets, and VMAX Climax (all but the first heavily themed), the only outlier is... Star Birth, another 8-4 Ultra Rare set, which has 4 Special Art Vs. So we may see the same thing happening here. One final pattern I've noticed... most new illustrators get to illustrate a Special Art for the first (or possibly second) Japanese set they are commissioned to illustrate. Take Okache and Calyrex Ice Rider V or Zig and Honchkrow V, for instance. It even extended to Character Rares. For instance, DOM and Jolteon. I'm not sure who the new illustrators are this time around, but I would think that there is a fair chance that they would get a shot at illustrating a Special Art for this set. (But PLEASE don't imagine a given Pokemon being illustrated by a given illustrator. I know from experience that doing so sets you up for twofold dissapointment.)
P.S. That Drapion V is incredible! Makes me feel a lot better about it getting a second V! The posing! The effects! A true piece of art! The VSTAR? Meh. I don't think the VSTARs have started to grow on me yet. I'll probably hit that phase some day. Most likely if the average market price comes down a little.

coolcorsola

Aspiring Trainer
Okay, guys, let's take a moment to consider past alternate art trends. Pokemon usually gives us a Special Art (official designation for "alt art" (to distinguish these cards from run-of-the-mill reprints that are also called "alt arts")) for the set mascot. That would be Giratina. And THAT, I think, is the only Pokemon we can count on to receive a Special Art. Pokemon has also made a habit of sidelining more obvious choices such as Suicune V and Luxray V in favor of more obscure options. So please prepare yourselves for the possibility of Kyurem not getting a Special Art. Now, in Silver Lance, Jet Black Spirit, Blue Sky Stream, Towering/Skyscraping Perfection, Fusion Arts, Time Gazer, and Space Juggler, we've gotten three Special Art Vs (and, up to Fusion Arts, a VMAX), and, when we exclude outliers such as earlier E-block sets, Eevee Heroes, Mini Sets, and VMAX Climax (all but the first heavily themed), the only outlier is... Star Birth, another 8-4 Ultra Rare set, which has 4 Special Art Vs. So we may see the same thing happening here. One final pattern I've noticed... most new illustrators get to illustrate a Special Art for the first (or possibly second) Japanese set they are commissioned to illustrate. Take Okache and Calyrex Ice Rider V or Zig and Honchkrow V, for instance. It even extended to Character Rares. For instance, DOM and Jolteon. I'm not sure who the new illustrators are this time around, but I would think that there is a fair chance that they would get a shot at illustrating a Special Art for this set. (But PLEASE don't imagine a given Pokemon being illustrated by a given illustrator. I know from experience that doing so sets you up for twofold dissapointment.)
P.S. That Drapion V is incredible! Makes me feel a lot better about it getting a second V! The posing! The effects! A true piece of art! The VSTAR? Meh. I don't think the VSTARs have started to grow on me yet. I'll probably hit that phase some day. Most likely if the average market price comes down a little.
Why not Kyurem? It’s the only VMAX featured in this set so it’s possible it could get an alt art. Giratina for sure will get one, that leaves at least three more Pokémon to get one. Kyurem has a good chance, I’d say

TrumoN

Aspiring Trainer
many things to say but...are we getting a (barely) useful sunflora?? who are you and what did you do to pokemon?