Pokémon Kommo-o the Island Dragon King

Equinox

Stallwart Player
784.png

Type: Dragon/Fighting
Abilities: Soundproof / Bulletproof / Overcoat
Base Stats: 75 HP / 110 Atk / 125 Def / 100 Sp. Atk / 105 Sp. Def / 85 Spe

Notable Moves: Dragon Dance / Clanging Scales / Sky Uppercut / Belly Drum / Autotomatize / Outrage / Draco Meteor / Focus Blast / Flash Cannon / Flamethrower / Swords Dance / Poison Jab / Earthquake / Dragon Claw

Sporting not only a fancy crown, but good offensive stats 110 Atk / 100 Sp. Atk and an amazing bulk of 75 HP / 125 Def / 105 Sp. Def! His only trouble is a base 85 speed stat, which really isn't that bad either! The Island King can compensate easily with his low speed by using Autotomatize and Dragon Dance, not to mention that it can become an outright monster with Belly Drum!

However, Kommo-o has a couple of threats to his rule; the four Tapus and every other Fairy-type, seriously, a 4x weakness to Fairy-type means Kommo-o shouldn't be near a Fairy-type. It also doesn't help that Flying and Psychic are common attack-types as well, and most of the Pokemon that have access to these moves are powerful, Tapu Lele and Celesteela mainly come to mind.

Kommo-o is interesting though because they gave him everything he needs to be an amazing physical sweeper except for his short list of physical attacks, his best Fighting-type attack is Sky Uppercut! Don't let this discourage you however, as he certainly has the boosting moves. Kommo-o's special move pool, however, is so much better! You can take out most fairies now with Flash Cannon, Clanging Scales is amazing in that you don't have to switch Kommo-o after every use, however Draco Meteor is also good option as it does provide a bit more power to Kommo-o's arsenal.

What are your thoughts on Kommo-o? Does he strike you as a Pokemon that will be able to survive in OU's environment?

Last edited:
I question how viable a special based set is when Hydreigon exists, who has higher speed and special attack, and isn't as screwed by fairies as Hydreigon outspeeds 3 of the Tapus. It's nice that Kommo-o doesn't have to rely on Draco Meteor for special stab though. Similarly for Dragon Dance, as Dragonite exists who hits harder with more coverage and priority.

Autonomize and Belly Drum are the big niches I can see for Kommo-o. Special Autonomize is probably the best set, though you will need to live with awful special STAB in Focus Blast. Belly Drum sounds scary with the new pinch berries, but that speed tier sucks without a priority move.

Probably looking at UU if Hydreigon is any indication, but it'll certainly have some niches in OU. It really wants better fighting STAB so hopefully the inevitable move tutors in the next game give it something cool.

I question how viable a special based set is when Hydreigon exists, who has higher speed and special attack, and isn't as screwed by fairies as Hydreigon outspeeds 3 of the Tapus. It's nice that Kommo-o doesn't have to rely on Draco Meteor for special stab though. Similarly for Dragon Dance, as Dragonite exists who hits harder with more coverage and priority.

Exactly. I have been using a Choice Specs variant, and it works pretty good;

Modest natures; 252 sp. att/252 speed.

Flamethrower
Clanging scales
Focus Blast
Flash Canon

This set works best with some paralysis support, as it then outspeeds most of the metagame. It really hits like a truck and the best thing about it is that everyone expects it to go physical because of Dragon Dance. It's a surprise.

Clanging Scales is awesome. It lowers defense, but that's not a problem, because your probably switching out after using it anyway. If you've seen fairy's in team preview, go with Flash Canon first. Focus Blast destroys Porygon 2 or any other normal type, bar Chansey/Blissey and flamethrower destroys any steel type.

I also think it is a UU material. Just because of the amount of fairies that are not relying on Hyper Voice this gen. Many teams pack more than one of them. I wish it could go mix, but the offensive stats are not that high to split the EV's.
Does anyone have an idea for a Pokemon that can form a nice bulky offensive core with it?

I also think it is a UU material. Just because of the amount of fairies that are not relying on Hyper Voice this gen. Many teams pack more than one of them. I wish it could go mix, but the offensive stats are not that high to split the EV's.
Does anyone have an idea for a Pokemon that can form a nice bulky offensive core with it?
I want to say Magnezone but it doesn't really struggle with Steels because of Fighting STAB. Zone does beat Fairies but it's not its primary job, and I'd say it isn't really good at beating them.

Maybe Mega Scizor? It's a decent Lele and Bulu check, though it's not the greatest against Koko (Thunderbolt hurts) and Fini (Fini can setup on it). Mimikyu doesn't like Scizor but it does have WoW to cripple it and then it can set up. I don't think Magearna cares about Scizor either way, as it has bulk and HP Fire is an option. Those are pretty much the defining fairies though, since it seems like Clefable and Azumarill have disappeared.

Celesteela! Works really good, because it covers the dragon, fairy and flying weaknesses, and at the same time Kommo-O covers it's electric and fire weaknesses. Both have good defenses, and offensive so can take some hits (specially not very effective hits) and can hit the switch in hard with the right prediction.

fun fact: a jolly kommo-o can outspeed and ohko modest scarfed lele with posion jab after a dragon dance, now if thats now raw power, i don't know what is

fun fact: a jolly kommo-o can outspeed and ohko modest scarfed lele with poison jab after a dragon dance, now if thats now raw power, i don't know what is

While it may be a fun fact, it is important to remember that Kommo-o cannot safely switch in against Tapu Lele. You would already have to be setup for that to work.

While it may be a fun fact, it is important to remember that Kommo-o cannot safely switch in against Tapu Lele. You would already have to be setup for that to work.
well duh, but seeing as team preview is a thing, good players can have it out and set up long before tapu lele even hits the feild

well duh, but seeing as team preview is a thing, good players can have it out and set up long before tapu lele even hits the feild

Easier said than done. When I see a dragon dancer in the team preview (Gyarados/Salamence etc.) I always start with something that can handle it, so that goes for most good players seeing a Kommo-o too.. This is why I recommend a special set to surprise many of those would be counters. In my opinion that's where the real strength of this mon lies, it's ability to do many things unlike most dragons. My Kommo-o gets burned all the time because they expect it to go physical only to take a choice specs move to the face.

Back