RMT Keeping the Pressure - Another Balance Team

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Hello everyone, I have been looking for a good team to use for the current metagame. After losing 1000 times and getting to the bottom of the ladder, I managed to get myself a decent team that surprisingly works great for me and brought me from 1000-1410 rating (I usually get stuck at the 1300-1400 rating).

Weavile @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab

The first attacker on the team. Choice Band is used here to hit as hard as possible without losing HP, as this team lacks a hazard remover. Poison Jab is here so Weavile can put a fight against Azumarill and Clefable when needed.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

Dual Status Rotom-W is here to catch the opponent unprepered for either TW or WoW after seeing one of them already. Rotom-W answers a lot of attackers such as Volcanion, Heatran and Talonflame. The EV spread ensures I can switch in Mega Manectric's Thunderbolt and 2HKO with Hydro Pump if needed (if other checks to Mega Man are not alive).
Rotom-W can also OHKO Mega Diancie which is also nice for my team.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Stockpile

Quagsire can stop things like Mega Manectric, Mega Charizard-X, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Garchomp and Scizor. Stockpile is a great thing to make Quagsire an unstoppable wall to an unprepared team. Scald can spread burns and EQ threats Heatran. Unaware prevents the opponent from setting up on me.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Protect
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Heatran is here to put pressure on Mega Sableye, Clefable, Ferrothorn, Ditto and taking hits from other special attackers. Protect is here mainly for opposing Mega Lopunny's HJK or Mega Medicham's HJK. Heatran is also my Pokemon for throwing rocks and makes switches harder for my opponent. Taunt stops status moves and is important to potentially block hazards.

Lopunny @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Fake Out
- Heal Bell

Mega Lopunny is the second attacker on this team. Pretty standard set, including Heal Bell as an option to cure my team from statuses and maintain defensive synergy.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Amoonguss pairs well with Quagsire and Heatran to create the defensive FGW core. Blocking Keldeo and Azumarill. Sub lets Amoonguss to have the upper hand against Ferrothorn and is used to help Amoonguss more with Spore on things that it cannot take a hit from, such as Mega Charizard Y. HP Fire with Sub also helps against other grass types, Scizor and Ferrothorn.

Last edited:

Secret Agent Seal

Aspiring Trainer
Hiya,

So this team has a solid backbone of Rotom-W + Heatran + Amoongus, which covers a large chunk of the metagame. You do have a weakness to several prominent Pokémon that, if dealt with, should really help your rating. These are:

- M-Medicham & CB Terrakion dismantle your defensive core. Amoongus is your only Fighting resist but it can't do much to hit back at Medicham.

- CS MB Excadrill. You have no non-levitate Ground resists, so your best option is to go to Quagsire. If Quagsire is weakened, Excadrill wipes out the entire team.

- Hazard stacking. Opting for no hazard removal can work for some teams, but they need to have the right build. Key members of your core rely solely on Leftovers, and hazards really set a timer on Weavile's ability to RK.

My first suggestion is Landorus-T over Quagsire, who handles almost all of the threats you listed plus M-Medicham (to an extent) and Excadrill. It also offers some Intimidate spam to soften blows. As Heatran already serves as a hazard setter, Landorus-T could be assigned the role of Choice Scarf to revenge kill random things and act as a nice pivot.

My second suggestion is to drop M-Lopunny, who doesn't really get the support it needs on this team. With two excellent pivots in Rotom-W and Landorus-T, you can afford to bring in something that packs a little more oompth. Any hard hitting Mega would do here. As you don't have a hazard remover and some excellent Steel checks in Heatran and Rotom-W, I suggest M-Diancie. If you want to stick with M-Lopunny, definitely run Ice Punch over Heal Bell.

My last suggestion is just some general set tidy ups. Weavile should run Pursuit over Poison Jab, the latter it doesn't need because you have amazing Fairy checks in Heatran and Amoongus. Rotom-W doesn't need two status moves and wants Pain Split. Amoongus wastes time with Substitute and prefers Clear Smog or Foul Play.

Good luck.

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
Thank you! I'll go with everything you said and see how it goes. MegaCham does give me a lot of trouble.

Equinox

Stallwart Player
You could also drop Rotom-W for Sableye, who also gets priority WoW and is immune to Mega Cham's main attacks or you could drop Mega Lop for Mega Sableye so you have hazard/status/taunt block and could put over Rotom-W Landorus-T, who has power and can also be a pivot as well as having Intimidate.

Last edited:

Scattered mind

Forum Mod
I am thinking about changing Rotom-W's EV spread and perhaps altering its nature from Bold to Calm. The main reason for that is to make Volcanion's Steam Eruption to 3HKO instead of 2HKO. What would be the best spread that?