JustInBasil

Grass-Type Gym Leader
News Staff
Today, TPCi revealed a handful of cards that will release in the upcoming Pokemon GO set that releases internationally on July 1st. Promo versions of the Kanto starters and the Dragonite VSTAR line were also revealed.
In addition to these card reveals, it was revealed that there will be a handful of in-game events for Pokemon GO players to tie in with the release of the Pokemon GO TCG set. Players will be able to catch Pikachu with a special TCG-themed cap, Mewtwo will appear in 5-star raids, and Wimpod and Golisopod will make their first appearances in GO.
Cards from the Set

Pokemon_TCG_Pokemon_GO_Bulbasaur_1-143x200.png

Pokemon_TCG_Pokemon_GO_Ivysaur_2-143x200.png

Pokemon_TCG_Pokemon_GO_Venusaur_3-143x200.png

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yaginku

H-on Will Save Pokemon
The Radiant Blastoise seems insanely strong, it's Intelion's Quick Shooting on a Basic. Granted it has limitations, but they're offset by not having to run multiple additional basics and trainers.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
I already seen all these Radiant Starters before but Venusaur really stands out.

Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur - very common for a Stage 2 that has abilities like this, which is super rare to pull at some situations. 3/3/3
R. Venusaur - 5 Geodudes. Very unique ability that some decks like H. Arcanine will love.
R. Charizard - not the best radiant but it'll be a collector's chase card. 4
Squirtle/Wartorle/Blastoise - meh. A nice ability on a Stage 2 but ends your turn. Even worse with Rare Candy being rotated at some point in September. 3/3/3
R. Blastoise - Palkia decks might consider Greninja over this, sorry. 4 Geodudes
Wimpod/Golisopod - meh. 2/2

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
The Radiant Blastoise seems insanely strong, it's Intelion's Quick Shooting on a Basic. Granted it has limitations, but they're offset by not having to run multiple additional basics and trainers.
1. Only hits the bench
2. R. Greninja is the most preferred choice for Palkia decks.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Just as I correctly predicted, Squirtle, Wartortle and Blastoise are 15, 16 and 17. A nice surprise seeing both Wimpod and Golisopod at number 25 and 26 respectively. This also confirmed that there are two more Grass types between Alolan Exeggutor V and Charmander.

TheRainmaker

I like Expanded
Venusaur has a really strong ability. Sure it is on a stage 2 and requires a coin flip, but it's Boss's Orders and 10 damage (and sleep) from the bench potentially every turn, and I imagine you're running more than 1 copy so if you get multiple out you increase the odds of it working.

Radiant Venusaur's ability can't be used in every deck, but the ones that can it's absolutely amazing for and the attack isn't awful either with Gardenia's Vigor to take out things like Miltank.

Charizard has a lot of potential for support, but also has a respectable attack. It's not as strong as Roaring Resolve or Leon Charizard in that it can't OHKO VStars or VMAXs, but it's a lot less clunky than the latter and again can support other Pokemon's attack costs.

Radiant Charizard is "What if you didn't have to waste Magma Basin turn after turn on Radiant Heatran?", but with a lower damage cap, but just enough to OHKO a VStar after a belt. The most noteworthy downside to Radiant Charizard is getting scuffs on it when using it IRL, since it'll be worth a lot (if not immediately, then in 3-10 years).

I don't really like Blastoise's ability. On one hand, accelerating 6 energy from your deck, not just water or basic energy, is absurdly powerful and obviously needs a drawback... but on the other hand your turn ends and it's on a stage 2 meaning outside of Expanded you're not using it until turn 3, further meaning you don't even get to take advantage of it until turn 5. I guess you can use this with Dialga VStar and Diancies since the ability works from your bench, especially once Metal Saucer rotates? In Expanded you can also cheat it out via Archie's Ace in the Hole, but I'm not sure it's worth using over Electrode GX, which while that gives your opponent prizes you can still attack with your degenerate strategy the same turn you accelerate the energies.

Radiant Blastoise makes me sad because of the ugly pee splash background art and because the water energy discard cost means it can't breathe new life into Jolteon VMAX after Tantrum Zigzagoon and Shady Dealings rotate... but outside of that it's still extremely powerful since it's on a basic, even if it can only ping the bench it can set up the opponent's next attacker or a boss target for an OHKO. Once again the attack isn't bad by any means either for a basic 1 prizer, though I imagine you'll only use it in a pinch or to mess with the prize trade.

Frost

Ice/Fairy Stan Account
Radiant Charizard's lazy art is the biggest tribute this set has to Pokemon Go's design philosophy of "Why put in any effort when people will give us truckloads of money anyway?"

tamoto

Aspiring Trainer
That Charizard ability seems like it could see a lot of play in Glc and maybe breathe some life back into high energy fire decks in standard. With only magma basin, it lets you get four energies onto a mon, plus welder and any other acceleration (for glc) eight energy is easily doable which makes some high-energy strategies possible, maybe even viable.

fingers crossed for rare candy reprint so I
can make a r.heatran / Charizard / heatran vmax deck with all the best arts ever seen :)

Digg07

Aspiring Trainer
Radiant Charizard's lazy art is the biggest tribute this set has to Pokemon Go's design philosophy of "Why put in any effort when people will give us truckloads of money anyway?"
Idk what you mean, I really like all 3 radiant arts. I love when they fit the whole pokemon into the frame, it reminds me of vintage. Also the color choices for all 3's backgrounds including Charizard work very well to contrast the pokemon themselves.

PartTimeTCGCollector

Aspiring Trainer
I can't believe the Radiant Blastoise is drawn by Fukuda, I love his artwork from EX and DP series. Both Blastoise are a disappoint the artists made too much focus on its hydro cannon. I like the Venusaur and as other say Radiant Charizard looks boring. I don't like the name "Pump Shot", better they call it Sniper Hit or something similar as it hit the bench.

Does anyone know the deck list of MelMetal and Mewtwo?

Last edited:

Mimikeon

Aspiring Trainer
That Charizard ability seems like it could see a lot of play in Glc and maybe breathe some life back into high energy fire decks in standard. With only magma basin, it lets you get four energies onto a mon, plus welder and any other acceleration (for glc) eight energy is easily doable which makes some high-energy strategies possible, maybe even viable.

fingers crossed for rare candy reprint so I
can make a r.heatran / Charizard / heatran vmax deck with all the best arts ever seen :)
Honestly? I'm expecting there to just not be a rotation this year and for rotation to shift to being February to match Japan.