Discussion Just got back into P:tCG (Online) - where to start?

Sherezad

Aspiring Trainer
Hello everyone! I just started playing the online version of the game and have really enjoyed what the game has to offer. I've heard a lot about how the game has changed since Basic/Jungle/Fossil and wanted to know the best route to get a functional standard deck rolling.

Online I have the whole 2 x Mach Drive deck and have been working on building up some staples I've seen listed on Reddit but would love more of a discussion as to where the Meta is these days.

Also I look forward to getting into the next tourney on here! Wooo first time (hopefully!)

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Take a look at limitlesstcg.com to start with - that shows you the decks that're doing well at regionals. Depends on your budget really as to what you want to run; I have both a BuzzGarbShrine and a GasKan deck that are pretty cheap to make and both pretty good. But they'll take a while to get the cards for online I suspect.

In general, you'll do fine with any of the major meta decks. Even double Mach Strike is fine for now, especially if you can get a few shrine of punishments into it. Swampoleon is also good (using the empoleon and swampert theme decks as a starter).

Sherezad

Aspiring Trainer
Thanks! I had taken a peek at the current winning decks in standard and they aren't that expensive (in comparison to say, MtG). I've modified the Mach decks into something kind of playable for standard (had no idea how fast it really could go!) but you can tell it's missing some things atm.

Also, wow so many shiny cards.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Thanks! I had taken a peek at the current winning decks in standard and they aren't that expensive (in comparison to say, MtG). I've modified the Mach decks into something kind of playable for standard (had no idea how fast it really could go!) but you can tell it's missing some things atm.

Also, wow so many shiny cards.

I recommend looking around Deck Garage, and then when you've made whatever changes you think are right, posting your deck in Deck Garage - Mach Strike is definitely playable, though probably not *quite* as good as swampoleon, but that depends on the meta; online you get a lot of variety, especially since you're paired with people with similar ELO to yours, which means at first you get fairly new players with lousy decks, and it keeps giving you better people until you start losing. For the most part unless you're trying to win the PokeBeach tourney, you'll be fine playing whatever you have fun with.

Sherezad

Aspiring Trainer
I'll definitely get around to posting my deck on there in the future. I noticed that everyone and their mom has the Mach deck so it has really come down to knowing the ins and outs of how that deck works. It's a bit tiring though to see the same pairing every round (but makes a quick game if they realize they can't counter).

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I'll definitely get around to posting my deck on there in the future. I noticed that everyone and their mom has the Mach deck so it has really come down to knowing the ins and outs of how that deck works. It's a bit tiring though to see the same pairing every round (but makes a quick game if they realize they can't counter).

Yep, and if you're trying to go quickly, you can just scoop (give up) right away if you realize they set up faster than you in those cases. But you could also try getting a theme deck (if you're going to play in theme deck format, which is a good format to use to start with) that counters it nicely; maybe Tropical Thunder for example.

Sherezad

Aspiring Trainer
Theme deck battles are my Bread-n-Butter at the moment while I build up some coins and packs. I also just learned that packs are the equivalent of SoJ's in Diablo so that's new to me (I like to open packs).

I'll pick up that Tropic Thunder deck when I build my points back up though!