Contest July's Create-A-Card Contest & June's Winners! (Official Results!)

PapaBigBelly

Aspiring Trainer
I'm confused how Pumpkaboo relates to this month's theme, of inanimate-Pokemon. Would you mind filling me in on the links I don't see between Pumpkaboo and this contest's theme?
interesting move (trick or treat) would evolve well into my trevenant haha

btw just wanted to make the judges aware that I did change/edit my submission once

Earthoul

Inside Shadow Storm
Here's my entry, Clay Doll Pokémon, with its origin being an inanimate doll:
Claydol – Psychic – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Baltoy

Ability: Trait Reload
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokémon is your Active Pokémon, you may discard a Pokémon that has an Ancient Trait from your hand. If you do, until the end of your opponent's next turn, this Pokémon has that Ancient Trait.

[P][P] Antique Malware
This attack does 40 damage to each Pokémon that has any Ancient Traits (both yours and your opponent's, including this Pokémon if it has any). This attack's damage isn't affected by Weakness, Resistance, or any other effects on the Defending Pokémon.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: [C][C]

It is said that it originates from clay dolls made by an ancient civilization.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
If we can only do image cards, can we use any text at all? Thanks
What exactly do you mean? You need the text on your card, of course. "Text" basically is all the information that would go on the card, while "Image" is "Text" made into an actual card.

Thewingedmater

Aspiring Trainer
What exactly do you mean? You need the text on your card, of course. "Text" basically is all the information that would go on the card, while "Image" is "Text" made into an actual card.
Since it said text spots filled up I got confused, and still am a little

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Since it said text spots filled up I got confused, and still am a little
Haha, that's all cool. What Athena meant when she said text spots had filled is simply no person not already sign up for basic "text" entry (as detailed in the original post) can post an entry. People, however, can still submit [or sign up for] "image" entries if they wish. "Image" entries are not really related to the actual "text" entries at all.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Text-based entries are just text. They may include a couple symbols or a sprite, but they are judged only on the mechanics of the card, such as the Pokémon's attacks or abilities, etc. Image-based cards create full fake cards, including art and other graphic bits, in digital art programs, with the goal of making a complete card that is indistinguishable from the real thing. While they also need to have believable and well-written attacks and other text, they are also judged onartistic aspects, such as fonts and artwork used. You can see a sample of some image-based cards under the correct heading in this post or in many other threads around this forum to get an idea of what they look like.

aernold

Aspiring Trainer
The link to your entry is not working. Can you please either post your card up as an attachment or via a standard image hosting site, such as imgur?

sorry, new to this website so i had NO idea how to do that lol

Attachments

• Wash_Rotom_Deckromancer (1).jpg
    Wash_Rotom_Deckromancer (1).jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:

Zygarde

Z-Dawg
^Isn't deckromancy an online card generator? Not trying to accuse you, seeing as this even has the CaC logo.

aernold

Aspiring Trainer
OK! finished with my entry; this time, i did not use a generator :D

Attachments

• ORAS_EX_Water 2.jpg
    ORAS_EX_Water 2.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 166

Rakkis157

Aspiring Trainer
My entry:

Magneton - 90 HP [M]
(Stage 1 - Evolves from Magnemite)

Ability: Magnet Pull
Once during your turn (before your attack), you may switch 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon with a Pokémon Tool card attached to it with his or her Active Pokémon.

[L][C] EMP
{Overload: You may place 4 damage counters on Magneton. If you do, this attack costs [C] less.}

Flip all Energy Cards in play face down until the end of your next turn. Face down Energy Cards do not count as Energy and have no effects.

Weakness: [R] x2
Resistance: [P] -20
Retreat Cost: 2

This card includes 2 new mechanics from a set I'm currently working on. The first is an Overload mechanic which lets you attack for less, but at a price of injuring your own Pokemon. The second is a form of energy denial that is different from the usual energy discard mechanic, letting you 'block' an attack due to lack of energy, without taking away their momentum due to you constantly discarding energy.

Anyone who've followed my discussions in card design know that I'm am a supporter of making stage 1 and basic pokemon that evolve into Stage 2s stronger, and this is an example of that. The card is designed to be able to stall out your opponent by pulling Pokemon that cannot attack/ retreat via Magnet Pull and locking their ability to attack via EMP so that you can set up your other Pokemon, including Magnezone, a lot more easily. It also acts as a Lysandre when you need it to, provided you have a way to switch Magneton into your main attacker, or plan to evolve it into Magnezone to grab easy KOs or pick off key targets. It uses Pokemon Tools as its limiting factor because this allows it to quickly target Megas (due to 95% of any playable ones using Spirit Links) and potentially EXs (thanks to Flare Tools) but leaves the lower HP non-EX Basics to not get picked off too easily.

Although EMP is a powerful lock, it is designed to be hard to maintain, in a sense that a Magneton, without healing, cannot consistently lock your opponent for more than 2-3 turns due to the need to attach a [L] energy to Magneton every turn AND self damage for 40 to pay the attack cost. This Magneton is also Metal instead of Lightning due to the fact that the latter type having access to Rough Seas, which would potentially allow it to keep up the lock for an indefinite amount of time. 90 HP allows Magneton to Overload twice without fainting, but forces you to heal at least 40 damage off from Magneton to use Overload a third time to leave you with the possibility of extending the lock but making it very difficult to make it last indefinitely.

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Regarding penalties for edits, are you penalized for editing out typos?
Yes. Anything that requires you to press the 'edit' button [or an equivalent] on an entry, or delete and repost your entry as some people prefer [which is trackable], will count as an edit.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
A good way to avoid having to do edits is to mostly just to check, double-check, and triple-check your work before posting. Read it forwards and backwards, research your wording references, preview your post, etc. There are still a couple weeks before entries are due so there's no need to rush. Just take your time, do it right, and fix any problems before you hit that "post reply" button.