Contest July 2020 CaC: Special Conditions (Stay Tuned for Results!)

Discussion in 'Creative Works' started by Jabberwock, Jul 2, 2020.

1. 47bennyg Hmmmm
    47bennyg

I couldn't decide on a single idea, so I'm just gonna enter the image contest too even if it's not my forte.

For the image, I'm going back to Neo Era, where they introduced a prototype burn effect with Neo Genesis Quilava and introducing a pseudo-freeze type effect.

[​IMG]

Freeze is the most busted status condition in the video game series, but it doesn't exist in the cards. In Gen I, if you get frozen, you're basically screwed. If you get hit by a fire move, you can thaw, but that's about it, which is why I designed this to wake you if you get a fire energy.

I think in the Base-Neo format, this card would be decent, but not busted. There's plenty of switch, gust, and scoop-up type ways to either get the frozen poke out of the way or get Jynx out of the active. It's also really slow to rack up damage after putting someone to sleep.

My text based card is Tauros V!

Tauros V – Colorless – HP200
    Basic Pokémon

Ability: Bullring
    If this Pokémon is in the Active Spot and there is any Stadium card in play, this Pokémon is now Confused.

[C][C] Disoriented Thrash 100+
    If this Pokémon is Confused, this attack does 100 more damage.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
    Resistance:
    Retreat: [C][C][C]

V rule: When your Pokémon V is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

With this I wanted to go for a positive way to use a status condition, and I think I came up with a pretty creative way to activate it. It's also pretty thematically appropriate for Tauros, as bullfighters sometimes intentionally agitate and disorient the bull so it is more agressive.

Big power with a big drawback is really fun to me. In the current format, swinging in for 200 turn 1 with a DCE and a stadium down would be entirely possible, but you could also just whiff and hurt yourself. I think that the possibility to hit yourself in confusion would stop it from being a Tier 1 card, but the quick powerup would make it a brutal rogue strategy that could destroy with good flips.

KnightofDust likes this.

2. Jabberwock #Jovimohnaeliackvid
    Jabberwock

Forum Mod Member

Thanks for your submissions, @47bennyg — unfortunately, though, I can only count one of them. This is a judging volume thing; if all of our contestants entered both categories, we would reach capacity very quickly and it would become much harder to judge in a timely manner.

Let me know which entry you'd like to have counted in the judging. :)

3. 47bennyg Hmmmm
    47bennyg

Man thats embarrasing. I just wasted my entire day lol! I haven't entered one of these in like 5 years so I guess things have changed. I'll just do text.

Jabberwock likes this.
  4. CardPone Electric Boogaloo!
    CardPone

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to drop out of this one. I don't have the time I still need to make what I have into a full image fake. Best of luck to the remaining contestants.

5. LUSITANER Aspiring Trainer
    LUSITANER

Sign me up for image based, if i'm still allowed to

Nyan likes this.
  6. Babywinds Aspiring Trainer
    Babywinds

Toxtricity HP110 Darkness
    Stage 1 ~ Evolves from Toxel
    NO. 849 Punk Pokemon HT: 5’3” WT: 88.2 lbs.

/Ability/ ~ 50//50
    Once during your turn, when this Pokemon moves from your Bench to the Active Spot, you may choose 1:
    • Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Poisoned.
    • Flip a coin. If heads, your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Paralyzed.

[C][C][C] Vantage Point 60
    If your opponent’s Active Pokemon is Poisoned, this attack can be used for [D]. At the end of your opponent’s turn, if your opponent’s Active Pokemon recovers from the Special Condition Paralyzed, this Pokemon may use this attack. (You still need the necessary Energy to use this attack.)

This short-tempered and aggressive Pokémon chugs stagnant water to absorb any toxins it might contain.

Weakness - Fighting x2
    Resistance - None
    Retreat - 2
    Nyora's Eternatus VMAX's CaC judging
    Mewtwo & Mew-GX
    Celesteela CES
    Heatran-GX
    Judge Whistle

I hope this is good! This is my first CaC, so I hope I do well. Finding something to do with special conditions came naturally for whatever reason, though I'm unsure how good this actually is, I'm not a very competitive player xD

7. Nyora A Cat
    Nyora

haha no ideas go ...
    Musharna V HP 220 Psychic
    Basic Pokémon

[P][P][C] Nightmare Cast 80
    Both Active Pokémon are now Asleep. At the end of your opponent's next turn, if this Pokémon is Asleep, put damage counters on your opponent's Benched Pokémon in any way you like equal to the same amount of damage you did to your opponent's Active Pokémon.

[P][P][C][C] Moonbeam 130
    If your opponent's Pokémon is not Knocked Out by damage from this attack, you may switch your opponent's Active Pokémon with 1 of their Benched Pokémon. The new Active Pokémon is now Asleep.

When your Pokemon V is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Darkness x2
    Resistance: Fighting -30
    Retreat: 3

8. LUSITANER Aspiring Trainer
    LUSITANER

This is my entry
    [​IMG]

Image updated by me to have the original-size card. ~~Jabber

This is a ghost type blank i've built, based off of a SM blank from Aschefield. The Energy icons are from CMP's NeoRedux. Illustration by Autobot.Tesla.

This card will be part of a set i'm making, with focus on digital play, and with modded rules and core mechanics, although this one is slightly edited to fit the CaC more. The wording i use is based off of Diamond/Pearl gen cards (mostly because i like that wording more over modern versions and most of the cards i own are from that time), tho with my own changes which i took the liberty to create considering the cards i'm making are not exactly compatible with existent official cards.

You probably already spotted on the card things that do not exist on official cards. Many of those revolve around new rules and mechanics i've built, but i don't want to go on here about all those changes, so i'll only focus on explaining the necessary for this special condition themed CaC:
    • In my set's rules, Benched Pokémon can be Poisoned, and Benching/Retreating a Pokémon does not cure it. However, any Poisoned Pokémon on the Bench does not receive damage from the Poisoned Special Condition between turns. This is relevant for this card's Miasma Of The End effect, which states that Poisoned Pokémon on the Bench will indeed also receive damage between turns from the Poisoned Special Condition.
    • Another new thing i have to explain is one of the new 10 Special Conditions i've been working on, Doomed. If a Pokémon is Doomed, it no longer has Resistances, and it cannot Evolve. A Doomed Pokémon can only be cured by leaving play, or through effects of other cards. When a Doomed Pokémon is Knocked Out, it is sent to the Lost Zone.
    Doomed Special Condition also has another effect, but it is tied with one of my main core mechanic changes which i'd rather not extensively talk about here. Summing it up without going through those rules, when a player tries to attack, and has Doomed Pokémon in play, there is a small chance (by default around 5%, which can be changed with effects from other cards, both for a lower % or a higher %), that every Doomed Pokémon of that player is Knocked Out. If the Pokémon that attempted the attack was also Doomed, the attack does nothing.

Overall, this is a very high-risk high-reward card, which is one of my themes for ghost types. When Trevenant is played, it applies its effect to every Pokémon in play, including itself and your own Pokémon. Trevenant is a ticking bomb paired with russian roulette, which should be enough to up the nerves and fear of both players. It requires proper setup and maybe some combos to reduce the risk of using such a card. It is also a very late-game card that is hard to evolve into, and requires a certain combo of a different type of cards that my set has to evolve (does not evolve by normal means).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2020
  9. Gabs Kazumi Amateur Illustrator @kazumi.draws
    Gabs Kazumi

Hi guys! Here's my entry for this CaC!

[​IMG]

Dusknoir CES (Ability)
    Walrein CES (Ability)
    Slaking UNM (Positioning)
    Galarian Weezing (Positioning)

As I spoiled in Discord, my entry for this CaC is Galarian Articuno!

This month's theme is about Special Conditions and when I read about the new Articuno I instantly had an inspiration.

Just like the new regional bird takes a psychic approach to freezing (which I thought is AMAZING, concept-wise), I decided to go with a similar concept.

This card's main purpose is disruption by Paralyzis. I gave it a balanced way (and maybe assuring too) to inflict this Special Condition: with 2 [P] Energy, it freezes the Defending Pokémon, and if the opponent doesn't find a way out of it (coin flip, Switch), not only their Pokémon will be brain-freezed with Paralyzis, but their game as well!

You probably have noticed I really like decks/cards that brings a new perspective to the game from my other entries (besides the "I must do colossal damage to win"), so I think Galarian Articuno is a very "Gabs-esque" card and I'm happy with the outcome!

I would like it to be evaluated as a SM-era card (I know Galarian Articuno didn't exist there but I don't think I'm going to fake in SwSh format).

PS: There's a difference between flying and levitating and I had to remake the whole illustration bc my Articuno was flying in the original one (yes, I didn't noticed Articuno doesn't flaps its wings from the trailer). However, it was a good thing bc the new one is much nicer than the previous one LoL

Good luck to all contestants! I'm very excited for the results :)

10. Nyan Staring into space again...
    Nyan

Chat Room Staff Member

Sorry for cutting it a little close x.x

[​IMG]
    I think with this card I struck a solid balance between a supporter with its Ability and a self-combo with the attack. The ability being able to function standalone can give the card potential as a support Pokemon for a Paralysis-focused deck. The attack synergy is tricky, but powerful if pulled off. The mixed energy and discard costs make this card steep in its needs, and successfully pulling it off will leave you with a choice; if you're able to accelerate the energy needed to attack again, do you apply paralysis again or take the bonus damage? I should mention the W/R/RC thing. Lightning types normally resist Metal, putting me in an awkward spot when it comes to resistance, as Water types who are Ice-types in the games are weak to Metal. So I just cut the resistance altogether. Also, I know that for SwSh, there's a new fossil card for the gen 8 fossils. Since this is an SM card, I used the SM fossil. This blank is a variant of my normal dual-type SM blank that I am testing. It's a lot less harsh on its edges so it's a fair amount easier on the eyes. On Pokemon selection, tbh I'm not really sure why I went with Arctozolt. I've always really liked it, despite all odds, and I think it's becoming one of my favorites out of gen 8. I honestly just find it adorable, and then I had the idea of Paralysis becoming another status, and it spiraled into this. Then I found this art while scrolling through DeviantArt and then I just knew I had to make this, it's too darn cute.
    Paralytic Chills:
    Wishiwashi CEC 62

Frosty Bolt:
    Gourgeist CIN 45
    Ampharos LOT 78
    Breloom UNM 108

Credit:
    Art - EdoNovaIllustrator (Warning: Some art 18+)
    Blanks & Type symbols - asche (dual typing by me)
    CaC symbol - @Nekoban Ryo

bbninjas, Dravinator and KnightofDust like this.
  11. CardPone Electric Boogaloo!
    CardPone

Since I did do a little work on a card this month, I might as well share what I did finish. I want to emphasize that this still is not an entry as I've not had time to check all the wording and balancing, I don't think it's entirely as creative as I normally would shoot for, nor do I think it would perform particularly well in the text-based judging. Maybe I'll recycle the idea for a card from my own sets if I ever get back into card faking like I used to.

The idea is that it's suppose to pair well with Munna BCR 68 (or, more appropriately for the format, Exeggcute card from Frontiers Renewed). Like always, it would be balanced around HGSS, yada yada.

Polteageist – Psychic – HP60
    Stage 1 - Evolves from Sinistea

Ability: Morning Coffee
    Once during your turn (before your attack), if your Active Pokémon is Asleep, you may reveal the top card of your deck. If it is an Energy card, attach it to your Active Pokémon. If it is not an Energy card, shuffle it back into your deck. Your Active Pokémon is no longer Asleep.

[P][P] Hypnotic Hit and Run 40
    Switch this Pokémon with 1 of your Benched Pokémon. If you do, each Active Pokémon is now Asleep.

Weakness: Darkness +20
    Resistance: Fighting -20
    Retreat: [C]
    #855 Black Tea Pokémon HT: 0’ 8” WT: 0.9 lbs.
    Shield: Leaving leftover black tea unattended is asking for this Pokémon to come along and pour itself into it, turning the tea into a new Polteageist.

Illus. [REDACTED] - ©2020 Pokémon/CardPone

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    KnightofDust, bbninjas and Nyan like this.
  12. Jabberwock #Jovimohnaeliackvid
    Jabberwock

Forum Mod Member

That's a wrap on this round of the CaC! Thanks so much to y'all for entering, and stay tuned for judging at the end of August. :)

13. FourteenAlmonds NTernetttt ERXploerer
    FourteenAlmonds

I'm a bit late, but hopefully this is ok --
    [​IMG]

I know there are heaps of errors in terms of fonts/placements, but hopefully there's at least some improvement. Figuring out that I could justify text was probably the big improvement there.

The holosheet is also quite subdued, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out to be honest.

The art is by salanchu, and all other resources come from Ashche, BB, and Nekoban Ryo (if I missed anyone there please lmk)

Dravinator, bbninjas and KnightofDust like this.
  14. FourteenAlmonds NTernetttt ERXploerer
    FourteenAlmonds

It's probably important to include what the Frozen condition actually does, so here it is --

Frozen
    Turn the Pokémon face down to show that it is Frozen.

If a Pokémon is Frozen, it cannot attack, retreat, or use an Ability. When a Pokémon becomes frozen, remove all damage counters and special conditions from that Pokémon. Prevent all effects of attacks and Abilities (including damage) done to Frozen Pokémon. Between turns, flip two coins. If both are heads, the Pokémon thaws (turn the card back right-face up), but if one or both are tails, it stays Frozen.

Worded in accordance with existing conditions.

It's intentionally quite strong, but hopefully the drawbacks of the card counteract that somewhat.

Nyan likes this.
  15. Vom Hey, Adora ~
    Vom

Forum Mod Member

This completely slipped my mind x.x Hopefully this is still ok, but even if not I wanted to share because I thought this was such a cool Pokémon when I first saw it in Pokémon Sapphire and the 3d models did it dirty because now it's just standing around instead of a menacing pose.
    [Basic] Zangoose HP90 [C]

NO. 335 Cat Ferret Pokémon HT: 4' 03'' WT: 88.8 lbs.

Ability: Poison Gene
    Once during your turn, if this Pokémon is Poisoned, this Pokémon may recover from that Special Condition. If it does, until the end of this turn, its attacks do 20 more damage to your opponent's Active Pokémon for each time this Pokémon was affected by that Special Condition during this turn.

[C][C][C] Blood Feud 120
    If this Pokémon is Poisoned, this attack costs [C] less for each Seviper you have in play. If you have more Seviper than Zangoose in play, this attack does nothing.

Weakness: [F]x2
    Resistance: -
    Retreat: [C]
    Memories of battling its archrival Seviper are etched into every cell of Zangoose's body. This Pokémon adroitly dodges attacks with incredible agility.
    Thunder Mountain, Choice Band (each of its attacks vs its attacks)
    Dust Island (repoisoning a Pokémon)
    Thunder Mountain+Counter Gain for attack cost reduction
    When I saw the theme, I knew how I wanted to use it (on myself) and Zangoose instantly came to mind, as the legndary rival of Seviper who must have got Poisoned all the time. The Dex entry reveals that the feud between the two is so deep, it's etched into its cells, and so I figured an evolutionary adaptation wasn't out of place - Poison Gene.

I always wondered why on Earth you can status a Pokémon with a status it already has in the TCG - at least now there's a legitimate niche for that mechanic. If you pair Zangoose with multiple ways to poison yourself - Ariados-like cards come to mind - you can add a lot of damage to your attack. I spent a while trying to figure out how to word an effect that took into account poisoning yourself when you were already poisoned, initially being not OPT and instead adding damage every time you healed yourself.

However, I had no clue how to make such an Ability stack, and so we have the current iteration. The idea is to have 2-3 Ariados on the Bench for damage output, while the rest is a mix of Seviper/Zangoose to maximize cost/damage. The attack can potentially be very strong, but both the damage and cost reduction are artificially capped by the requirements.

If you're not poisoned, you can't reduce the cost at all, and 120 for 3 is pretty sad, so you have to save one way to poison yourself before attacking. Since the Ability is now OPT, you have to calculate your damage numbers taking into account you always have one less poison method than you think, unless you're in a pinch and could really use the extra damage.

You also cannot attack for free unless you have 3 each of Seviper and Zangoose, but that means you don't have poison available, though 120 for free is pretty strong. Too bad you're paper thin and will get rolled over by pretty much any attack lol.

16. Jabberwock #Jovimohnaeliackvid
    Jabberwock

Forum Mod Member

You're both in; you missed it by less than a day and I'm not a monster. <3

at least Almonds is in, because I have jurisdiction over image judging, and I'm making the executive decision that Vom is also in because the text-based judge was also late so he can't argue <3

Nyan, FourteenAlmonds and Vom like this.
  17. bbb888 One Life. One Dream.
    bbb888

Hi all,
    I know I’m not a Judge on this, but I just HAVE TO comment on this very unique Trevenant!

First of all, it’s shiny!! What does the 6 Poke Ball sign in the evolution stage mean?
    Keep in mind the English cards use ft/in and lbs for the Pokemon’s measurements, not m and kg.

Poke-Body:
    When you list Special Conditions in the text, they are usually in alphabetical order, so I would write “Doomed and Poisoned.”. When you put damage counters, you need to specify how many (even for Special Conditions). Don’t make the same mistake as Rocket’s Minefield Gym from Gym Challenge!

First attack:
    When you say 20HP or less remaining, is that before or after doing damage? For example, if the Defending Pokemon has 30HP left, it is NOT Knocked Out (according to the effect), but if it takes the 20 damage from the attack, the effect would apply. So which is it?

Second attack:
    Can Pokemon be Asleep and Doomed at the same time? Would this contradict the Poke-Body?

Look at that crazy Resistance!
    What do you mean by you can’t put any Trevenant in your deck? Where do I put it? In my pants? In my mouth?

If I were to put a rarity symbol on it, I would make it a Common :D

Again, sorry for judging, but this card is sooo cool!!!!

Nyora likes this.

Viewing Now: 0 Members + 0 Guests

There are no registered members viewing this forum. Why not register here and start a discussion?