Discussion Jolteon Splashability?

TortiseRacer

Aspiring Trainer
What are everyone's thoughts on the Splashability of BanditRing Jolteon, Flash Energy to take away weakness, and rough seas? What decks do you think this would go well in?

Jolteon isn't really what I would call 'splashable', but it certainly is strong. A 1-1 line isn't going to be enough if you want it to abuse Rough Seas or Flash Energy, so you'll usually need a 2-2 or even 3-3 line to guarantee that it consistently allows the use of those gimmicks. That alone will usually take around 6-8 slots in total.

What /is/ good about Jolteon and its friends is that its Flareon and Vaporeon counterparts will all evolve from the same Pokemon. Eevee. This means you can have 4 Eevee and maybe 2 of each evolution, which saves space and is more consistent than if each of the mechanics where different.

One of the things that makes Jolteon so good is that he, and its counterparts, all evolve from the same Pokemon. This means that you can have 4 Eevee with two of each friend, which is much more viable that running different lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe rough seas may not go well on Jolteon, as he only has 90 hp(given the fact that many pokemon can KO 90 HPs in 1-2 hits, what's the point of rough seas on jolteon? In my opinion, the answer is: None, as today's metagame is tough on decks with only 90 HPs, as one powerful hit from many Stage 1 evolutions that have powerful attacks in their effect text, and/or the majority of Stage 2s, and if jolteon survives, it will still be too much to just rough seas on it hoping to dodge a KO w/o extra healing items like Pokemon Center Lady, even if it means using up your turn supporter to do so)...

However, I believe it still can do well as a bench-sitter while other, more powerful pokemon do the attacker role, like, for example, M Tyranitar/Yveltal/Jolteon/Flareon, complete w/ Team Magma's Secret Base and Silent Lab. You could replace Secret Base with rough seas if you wish to do so due to Jolteon, so that your attackers can heal if they have to:

Pokemon(17)
3-3 M Tyranitar-EX
3 Yveltal
4-2 Jolteon
2 Flareon

Trainers(31)
4 Sycamore
3 Professor Birch's Observations
2 Lysandre
1 Teammates
3 VS Seeker

3 Ultra Ball
2 Tyranitar Spirit Link
2 Weakness Policy
2 Exp. Share
2 Muscle Band
1 Battle Compressor
1 Tool Retriever
1 Professor's Letter

2 Team Magma's Secret Base
2 Silent Lab

Energy(12)
8 Dark
4 DCE

^ Mega Rayquaza, as well as Mega Aggron(if Muscle Band was placed on the M Tyranitar-EX prior to using Destroyer King)/Various Metal powerhouses, may think "your deck is easy to KO. Before I place my Pokemon down, I'll replace your stadium w/ Skyfield to ensure that your stadium fails to damage it! Ha ha ha!", until they face a Mega Tyranitar w/ a Destoyer King that has Ray/'Gron's weakness type with the help of the Eeveelution abilities and get slaughtered as a result despite the fact that skyfield shoved the magma stadium aside before any pokemon was put down, ensuring the pokemon that was put down does not take 2 damage counters from a stadium effect, and yet, thanks to Jolteon/Flareon's ability, the benched pokemon on Ray/'Gron's side might be surprised and could feel afraid that they could be the next to fall to an ability-triggered weakness from Jolteon/Flareon when their commander falls in such a fashion. What a plan B indeed!

Last edited:
there are 2 main uses for the new eeveelutions, defense and offense, you've mentioned a few defense ones like using rough seas to heal or vaporeon/aurorus to prevent 20-80 dam on all your stage 1s (needs skyfield or you run out of bench space) but that's mostly a stall deck not too great in a fast format.

on the offense side its adding weakness type, the most obvious is the dual type golurk from the same set that with the eevees can get 5 types so it only misses weakness on some types of water/fighting, fairy and dragon. other ones have to settle for 3-4 types coverage, so whats the best of the remaining 8 types to get to maximize that 4th type, well like golurk, psychic and fighting hit weak on the most types of those fighting is the more commonly found (psychic on self/some fighting vs most dark and most normal) so looking at stage 1 fighting the most interesting are dugtrio, medicham (PRC 80) , gliscor and maybe hariyama.

so aside from weaknesses this as fighting also let us use strong energy/muscle band/ fighting stadium, with a base of 40-80 boosted by the fighting kit 40-60 more we can hit weakness 80-280 enough to 1-2 hit a lot of deck types.

on grass shedinja could see some use as the 20 damage on it makes it hit for 100 with the 3 types eevees add that's a lot that can be hit for 200 (though it wont live long).

another option is spread/snipe damage, and with wide lens we can take advantage of the eeveelution weaknesses, unfortunately most spreads only hit 10-30 dam so we likely only get 20-60 spread dam, snipe can be better but the options on stage ones in xy-on best are 30 dam snipe, so that leaves us with spread, what can spread as a stage 1, well theres a couple poke that can hit active and 1-2 bench for 20 like gliscor that can be bumped to 40/40/40 if we have wide lens and weakness not bad for 1 colorless, make it strong energy and fight stadium and we can do 60(120 weak) active if its ex. but the biggest spread atm would be noivern which is 30(60 weak) nothings really weak to dragon these days but we can use dde to speed up the 3 energy cost and its ability makes retaliation attacks a 50/50 shot.

that's just a couple ideas I'm sure there's others I've missed.

Back