Discussion Jessie and James in standard..

SaiyanOfAnarchy

Aspiring Trainer
Hey all,

I have just started playing in tournaments recently..and I just want to ask cause the two judges we have are newer and they where not really confident in their answer to me. Will jessie and james and weezing out of hidden fates going to be legal for standard OP? The response I got was well it's a subset, nothing is legal out of it...then the second response was that jessie and james are already out of rotation in japan so they wont be legal for us. True or false? I know they are banned in expanded but couldn't find anything in standard. Thanks ahead of time !

Otaku

The wise fool?
Hey all,

I have just started playing in tournaments recently..and I just want to ask cause the two judges we have are newer and they where not really confident in their answer to me. Will jessie and james and weezing out of hidden fates going to be legal for standard OP? The response I got was well it's a subset, nothing is legal out of it...then the second response was that jessie and james are already out of rotation in japan so they wont be legal for us. True or false? I know they are banned in expanded but couldn't find anything in standard. Thanks ahead of time !

Ugh. I hope this was a breakdown in communication, with the Judges not really understanding the question or you not quite repeating what they said correctly because... yeah, those answers are terrible.

The short answer is that yes, Jessie & James is Standard-legal now.

The more detailed answer is that Hidden Fates cards became Standard-legal on September 6, 2019. As of making this post, that was only yesterday, which may be part of the confusion. Normally, releases become legal for Organized Play on the third Friday of the month. Hidden Fates didn't do that, probably because it released at an odd time. I don't know if there is another general rule for sets that release on or after the third Friday of the month, or if this was just because an announcement for Hidden Fates specifically stated that as the date of legality.

Jessie & James is banned in Expanded, which may be another thing that confused the Judges. Officially, Jessie & James was banned as of September 6, the same day the rest of Hidden Fates became tournament legal. Worry about the Japanese banned list is probably the final hurdle which made this needlessly confusing. Yes, cards banned in Japan are more than likely to be banned here but it gets a bit wonky because we have different Formats; not only do they get sets before we do, the cut off for "older" sets is different. I don't want to be to detailed, because I don't read Japanese and without doing that, I cannot easily check their Format guidelines. XP

To reiterate, Jessie & James is now Standard-legal, but banned in Expanded. Don't sweat the rest.