Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
So we finally got clear version of Hawlucha. Too bad the Weakness got corrected. But I can't fault it, as this Pokémon gives other Flying types hope for having a Colorless Version released. But it also gives me hope that one day, Surskit will be Water (with Lightning Weakness), and a Colorless Masquerain will be released.

SharKing

I won't bite... much.
That Ability is honestly just a worse Escape Rope. How sad; I was hoping the first Colorless Hawlucha would be decent.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Something I just thought of: Hawlucha is a direct counter to an unprepared Trevenant.

Numelz Numelz

Ariadoney Clear Nail Polish
The art is so green. I can see this being paired with flying press hawluch--- WAIT A MINUTE THEYRE BOTH HAWLUCHA DARNIT!!!

My reaction to mega gardevoir dealing 10 for each discarded: Long string of curse words.
It was only viable in expanded anyway, and now it's not even there.
Actually, I have to say it IS VIABLE. With dimension valley and BKT florges attacks for free and 2hkos most things. The added discard can also be a counter for target whistle based decks. Oh yeah and it helps NM. If you can fit it in NM that is.

Ms Hugo

Aspiring Trainer
Seems to take up too much space and is too difficult of a combo to pull off. Just play more hammers and team flare grunts.

I dunno, a 2-card out to something that walls your Giratina? I guess Escape Rope has more versatility though.

AgentMFilms

The Anti-Meta One
Seems to take up too much space and is too difficult of a combo to pull off. Just play more hammers and team flare grunts.
I'd argue that the solution to a lack of space wouldn't be throwing in more cards. Hawlucha and Lysandre were mentioned so that one might be able to end Jirachi's walling effect, not so that one could simply stop it from happening next turn. Hawlucha and Lysandre would be a much more viable option, considering that you wouldn't have to depend on coin flips in any way, and you could always choose a different Pokémon instead.

VinculumStellarum

Hello Tomorrow, going well? Any luck?
At first, I thought this was like Luxray Lv. X, but now it's like that Gallade's attack from Plasma Storm. It doesn't have much use unless your opponent has one bench, really, or if their bench is filled with Shaymins and Jirachis.

SaitoGmr5

Aspiring Trainer
People don't you realize what this is? It's a catcher, the same effect before the errata, this is not decent, it's broken, and i can see it becoming a staple in a lot of agressive decks. You don't even need a lot of space or scoop ups, almost all of you that play Shaymin, play AZ, using this guy can save you a supporter for a turn, decks like locks will love this because you can save a Lysandre and use a Xerosic, or fire decks, don't lose a Blacksmith for that turn.

Purrloin

At first, I thought this was like Luxray Lv. X, but now it's like that Gallade's attack from Plasma Storm. It doesn't have much use unless your opponent has one bench, really, or if their bench is filled with Shaymins and Jirachis.
I think it has a lot of use; namely if the opponent's active has an ability that's impairing you, like Trev or Wobbuffet or a Safeguard Pokemon, or a Burst Balloon, etc.

People don't you realize what this is? It's a catcher, the same effect before the errata, this is not decent, it's broken,
The opponent chooses, so it's not like the Catcher. It's more akin to a one-sided Escape Rope.

Last edited:

Starsoulklr

'Rolling around at the speed of sound'
I think it has a lot of use; namely if the opponent's active has an ability that's impairing you, like Trev or Wobbuffet or a Safeguard Pokemon, or a Burst Balloon, etc.
Not quite Wobbuffet as Wobb turns off Sudden Cyclone. But you are right about turning off Trev being very useful.

It's all about when you do use it. It could be useful when used at the right board position. If anything being colorless makes it being easier to put in a deck.

Purrloin

Not quite Wobbuffet as Wobb turns off Sudden Cyclone. But you are right about turning off Trev being very useful.
D'oh you're right. My mind broke for a moment; I was thinking it'd activate from the hand before Wob for some reason. :p

I hate Wob...

Pipotchi

Aspiring Trainer
nice vs jolteon! for any deck that wants to run escape rope/lysandre this is like 5x the opportunity to hit it thanks to ultra ball, i feel like this card is going to see play for sure

Last edited:

Robin Aisaga

Ginger Lillie > Regular Lillie
People don't you realize what this is? It's a catcher, the same effect before the errata, this is not decent, it's broken, and i can see it becoming a staple in a lot of agressive decks. You don't even need a lot of space or scoop ups, almost all of you that play Shaymin, play AZ, using this guy can save you a supporter for a turn, decks like locks will love this because you can save a Lysandre and use a Xerosic, or fire decks, don't lose a Blacksmith for that turn.

:p You must've misread it. Like Purrloin said, It's more like a nerfed escape rope. However if it did have the same effect as Pokémon catcher, I don't think it would be quite as broken as you think. You know bench space doesn't always come easy? For some decks it is even quite impossible or bad for it's strategy to include another basic Pokémon. Not to mention it isn't very bulky so it can easily become another target Pokémon like Shaymin EX. Also the fact that it's an ability doesn't make it that much better than Lysandre. I don't remember to be any supporter lock in the current competetive format?

But ability lock is a common occurence. (Wobbuffet. Hex Maniac, Garbodor) So Lysandre would still be save in comparison. Also retrieving it with Super scoop up is taking chances. VS Seeker always hits... AZ would require a supporter so that would be against the point. I think people are giving this card too much attention. Maybe someone is going to put a single of this hawlucha in their deck. But I guess after a while they will realise they're better of using another tech.