Japan's XY11: 'Explosive Fighter / Cruel Traitor', CP5: 'Mythical / Legendary Dream Holo Collection'

I really want to be more excited about the theme decks. I really do.
But then I see the deck lists, and well . . . you know.
I really wish our theme decks were more like the Japanese decks, or at least those Battle Arena decks came out more often.

Another Mega Gardevoir?
giphy.gif

I know the card doesn't do 1000 damage for free but come on people, do you really not want to play the game?

Its nice to see some kind of skill returning to the game.

I really want to be more excited about the theme decks. I really do.
But then I see the deck lists, and well . . . you know.
I really wish our theme decks were more like the Japanese decks, or at least those Battle Arena decks came out more often.

Here's what should happen. Usually, I don't mind that the theme decks are the way they are, but with WOTC changing MTG's intro packs into Planeswalker decks, I feel that TPCi should follow suit with Pokemon TCG, and change their theme decks into something else. I made a thread describing the changes.

They should release 2 battle arena decks per year, focusing on expanded.

Each set should come with only 1 theme deck. This theme deck contains pokemon only from the set the deck is associated with, and this deck has a guaranteed EX card or ultra rare equivalent as the cover card. This cover card is exclusive to the deck, and cannot be found in the boosters in the set. This should start with the Sun and Moon sets.

So instead of 2 theme decks per set, we get 1 theme deck per set. With the loss of the 2nd theme deck per set, a 2nd battle arena deck is released earlier in the year.

I see three cards that might see play, Talonflame, Ace Trainer, and Special Charge. Amoongus is confusing.
The current mechanic allows for a pokemon to be burned, poisoned and one of confused, paralyzed, or asleep. Having confusion and paralysis at the same time means some new form of indicating one or the other. I am not even going to the prerelease for this, not buying any packs of this, and will just trade for the three cards above.

I see three cards that might see play, Talonflame, Ace Trainer, and Special Charge. Amoongus is confusing.
The current mechanic allows for a pokemon to be burned, poisoned and one of confused, paralyzed, or asleep. Having confusion and paralysis at the same time means some new form of indicating one or the other.

That had me confused too (or should it be paralyzed?).

I think there are a few more viable cards that that though. Ninja Boy for sure. Weavile, Yanmega, both Volcanions, Xerneas Break, and Magearna. Then there's a few that might see fringe play like Toxicroak, Spiritomb or Yveltal Break.

All in all not that bad a set.

The current mechanic allows for a pokemon to be burned, poisoned and one of confused, paralyzed, or asleep. Having confusion and paralysis at the same time means some new form of indicating one or the other. I am not even going to the prerelease for this, not buying any packs of this, and will just trade for the three cards above.

Here come the diagonal special condition indicators!

^ Anyway, as above poster stated, I bet volcanion normal will see use, given that it scoops fire energies from discard to combo with volcanion-ex, and speaking of post above, yanmega break could see use too, given the break evo rules allowing previous form's attack use, so it can still use its ability to penetrate for free, and combine that w/ clawitzer break's lock-on, 220 damage in two turns(not counting evolution turns). Even better, Assault Boom on same conditions will do 170 damage w/o a tool on foe. Ouch! :)

Last edited:
Really love the artwork for the Xerneas and Yveltal packs :) I never bother with the theme decks, I don't collect the coins so there's nothing really in them making them worth their money.

Can't wait for the set release, as always. Just pre-ordered by first two booster boxes today :D

I calling that Shiftry will be the best card in the set. What pokemon are dominating the meta right now? Greninja, Trevenant. Zygarde EX. What are they weak to? Grass and Dark. Forest of Giant Plants, Shiftry, Red Card!!!

Are there any specific type of decks that Talonflame will work particularly well in? I can see maybe Vespiquen but I feel Vespiquen decks will take a hard hit if Battle Compressor rotates out.

talonflame is gonna be a card for every deck maybe 2-3 because not only can it be a basic but you can also dig up cards like shaymin as soon as you can attack

Back