Japan's XY10 Set: 'Awakening of Psychic Kings,' Alakazam!

Honestly pretty disappointing to me. I really like Kingdra too but they keep making these fringe-of-viability cards :S i'd maybe play this card if it was (W)(L)(L)(L) energy cost for a flat 150 damage, but its even worse than that since you cant power it up with DDE. Its never hitting for weakness and also cant even begin attacking for good damage without 4 energy attachments and realistically you arent playing DCE or DDE in this deck. idk. nice art tho (and i hope i get proved wrong, because i really like Kingdra!..)

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. 2x DDE should amount to 150.
read the fine print....it says basic energy, so you can either power this thing up with a water and 4 lighting and to do 180 with magnazone or electrik. Anything with 5 energies on it will get blown up by yveltal ex or mega mewtwo y. Overall very underwhelming ex as we have rayquaza ex with dragon burst and raikou who is a non ex atker who atks with lighting energy much more efficiently. Competitive = no, collectible FA = yes.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who thinks the card is bad? Can't use DDE to cover the Lightning cost for extra damage and you need 4 energy to attack. They should have made the cost [w][c] 60+, so it could do at least 60 with no lightning energy, and 90 with 1. And then you would have the option to attach more Lightning energy if you wanted. This way, you're obligated to use 4 energy to do 150 damage. Like a user above said, they might as well have printed it with [w][l][l][l] for 150.

Am I the only one who thinks the card is bad? Can't use DDE to cover the Lightning cost for extra damage and you need 4 energy to attack. They should have made the cost [w][c] 60+, so it could do at least 60 with no lightning energy, and 90 with 1. And then you would have the option to attach more Lightning energy if you wanted. This way, you're obligated to use 4 energy to do 150 damage. Like a user above said, they might as well have printed it with [w][l][l][l] for 150.
I think it can still be good. Max Elixir will help it work more, and Clemont even more so, especially with Magnezone. It could very easily appear as its own archetype with Magnezone / Raikou / Kingdra EX. The biggest problem it faces is the overly popular item lock decks. It doesn't help that the new Sylveon EX is sparking a resurgence in Fairy decks as well.

Aw no, why did they make my favourite Pokemon so...eh? Needs 5 Energy to hit the lower "magic number" of 180, and then Mewtwo can just eat it alive next turn.

No synergy with Double Dragon Energy either, so you can't even use it like the stage 2 Kingdra.

I think it can still be good. Max Elixir will help it work more, and Clemont even more so, especially with Magnezone. It could very easily appear as its own archetype with Magnezone / Raikou / Kingdra EX. The biggest problem it faces is the overly popular item lock decks. It doesn't help that the new Sylveon EX is sparking a resurgence in Fairy decks as well.

The main problem is not that it cannot hit hard with sufficient support but that commonly used cards such as Yveltal Ex, M Mewtwo Y, and Lugia Ex will eat Kingdra Ex alive once it attacked. It still needs to have four to five energies attached to it to ohko Pokémon Ex without Fighting Fury Belt. With four energies it will also need Muscle Band. A Pokémon Ex with that much energies attached can be easily revenge knockout out by Yveltal Ex, M Mewtwo Y, and Lugia Ex. It could work as a tech in M Manectric but it sure is not one of the better cards from this set.

The main problem is not that it cannot hit hard with sufficient support but that commonly used cards such as Yveltal Ex, M Mewtwo Y, and Lugia Ex will eat Kingdra Ex alive once it attacked. It still needs to have four to five energies attached to it to ohko Pokémon Ex without Fighting Fury Belt. With four energies it will also need Muscle Band. A Pokémon Ex with that much energies attached can be easily revenge knockout out by Yveltal Ex, M Mewtwo Y, and Lugia Ex. It could work as a tech in M Manectric but it sure is not one of the better cards from this set.
It's definitely not the Shining star of the set. I am super excited for the new Zygarde EX though.

read the fine print....it says basic energy,
The "fine print" wasn't part of the translation when I typed that. It just said Energy.

Sadly without DDE I don't think this is a very useful card. By the time it's charged up (via Magnezone even), the Ball attackers will just obliterate it.

The first thought is that Yveltal or Lugia would have advantage on this thing, but if it is paired with Manectric, it becomes less of a problem.

The text mentions "basic" energy. DDE counts as "Special" energy, so no DDE can't count.

read the fine print....it says basic energy, so you can either power this thing up with a water and 4 lighting and to do 180 with magnazone or electrik. Anything with 5 energies on it will get blown up by yveltal ex or mega mewtwo y. Overall very underwhelming ex as we have rayquaza ex with dragon burst and raikou who is a non ex atker who atks with lighting energy much more efficiently. Competitive = no, collectible FA = yes.

Yeah, text wasn't translated as "basic Energy" originally, hence why Special Energy was discussed early on. :p

I love the art on this and I'm super excited for the full art! Kingdra is one of my favorites.

Magnezone/Raikou would probably be the best fit for this guy. Even if one Kingdra gets KO'd by an Yveltal/Mewtwo/Lugia, all it'd take is a Fisherman and a Muscle Band/Water Energy to have another one swinging for 170/180 next turn with Magnezone out. Or Raikou to hit for weakness.

EDIT: I personally wouldn't leave this out of a Raikou/Magnezone deck because Kingdra takes 2 less Lightning energy to hit 170-180 than Raikou does, and it's not weak to Gallade/Lucario. It'd be a good 1 or 2-of, and even nice to start with cuz it can attack for 1 energy.

Last edited:
Wow. Not a card I will necessarily try to get but there is such a sick way to use this. However with the current deck I'm building with the confirmed XY10 cards, for me this card is for the binder. Anyway I would absolutely love to see what they do for a FA for this card. While Kingdra isn't one of my favorite Pokemon (because of one particular Johto Gym Leader...) I think the FA would be both playable and pretty. Looking forward to this one :D

I feel that this card could replace Pikachu EX. Who agrees?

On another note-with fairy boxes and Yveltal/Lugia type decks out there, it may be a problem to run this card. However, I think that you could do the obvious strategy with Magnezone, but also run Lugia to counter your opponent. Another is obviously the addition of Magnezone and Clemont, or I think you could even do straight Kingdra/Magnezone. To all of you gasping at this thought, I mean running Kingdra EX and AT Kingdra with Magnezone.

I will make it a mission to place in at least top 15 with this deck if anyone disagrees with these ideas.

It's definitely not the Shining star of the set. I am super excited for the new Zygarde EX though.
Well Kingdra is never going to be a star of an XY set but it's certainly collectible. Kingdra is also a fan favorite so I can understand why they may have wanted to add it. Super pumped for that Zygarde ex! Me and someone on here have developed a theory that there will be a Zygarde card kind of like the full metal Dialga back in Phantom Forces. So excited!
Aw no, why did they make my favourite Pokemon so...eh? Needs 5 Energy to hit the lower "magic number" of 180, and then Mewtwo can just eat it alive next turn.

No synergy with Double Dragon Energy either, so you can't even use it like the stage 2 Kingdra.
Now that you say it. Yeah :/ this doesn't seem as playable. Kingdra is one of my favorites as well and now that you mentioned it its really not gonna see much play -puts future Kingdra ex full art in binder- Oh well. The card is pretty and the full art will be too!

Back