Japan's XY10 Set: 'Awakening of Psychic Kings,' Alakazam!

This set is really shaping up to be interesting wow!

I thought we would be getting some sort of fossil support and we do indeed though the fossil mechanic on the whole still isn't perfect. Maybe there's more to come with this yet but I don't have my hopes too high. I'd love like s compressor card but you put them to the bottom of your deck instead. That would make the mechanic a little more viable (not including Omastar) and can also put stuff you don't need right away to the bottom of the deck to try and draw a bit better. But that's all theorymon anyway

Regarding the actual cards that have been revealed:

Aerodactyl - really interesting second attack that is something I like to see with a fossil Pokemon since they're difficult to get out. Whether this will be a thing with Omastar BREAK to prey on shaymins I'm not so sure. I think it's just as difficult as something like M Latios for taking out shaymins (both have their pros and cons) at least on first glance and that makes me think it might not be too competitive on the whole. But it's definitely a deck I really wanna try be used fossils are amazing!!

Genesect - the ability is really cool and definitely flexible but I think the attack is just a little to costly for this to be a really competitive Pokemon. An obvious partner for this will be Bronzong and that has really good synergy with the attack but you'll need to discard all 3 energy and have a muscle band to hit 180. That may not be too bad but I don't think this will be to game breaking on the whole just another fun EX for metal decks to use for versatility.

Mega catcher - if you really hate Megas the. For sure this is a great card but I don't think there is too much emphasis on Megas right now and this feels like a bit of a 61st card for the current format. But definitely potentially a useful resource to have if Megas begin to dominate the format.

Bronzong BREAK - whilst we don't know what this card does (do we know whether it's an ability or attack even?) I think it will have to be pretty good to be included in moderate copies in Bronzong decks. I'd like to see an attack so there's less of a worry if your Bronzong gets Lysandred you can drop the break and swing with that now too. Will try and update if we see anything about this card revealed today and the news story is updated.

TLDR: Fossils are still slow but are beginning to have potential, I'd like to see a bottom of the deck style compressor, Aerodactyl may be fun with Omastar BREAK, Genesect is costly but I think could see some play, mega catcher is more of a meta call right now and Bronzong BREAK will have to be good to justify an inclusion imo

That N art omg... The Zorua! I'm in love... And with it being from a side deck I can't complain about it being out of place now. There haven't been any B/W Supporter reprints in the main Japanese XY sets, just in side products based on popular demand (Skyla) that got grandfathered into our sets. Gotta say, I'm excited for the amount of new trainer cards in store for this set though. I wanna know what Fairy Drop does!

Anyway, aw man last night I was thinking Mew/Eevees/Regice might be a sneaky alternative to MegaMan, but I guess it's not so sneaky after all, haha. I still wanna try it though! I'm also really liking that Aerodactyl, but It's shame Prehistoric Call isn't a thing anymore . Battle Compressor/Prehistoric Call would have made Omastar/Aerodactyl amazing. There's gotta be something to get them on the bottom of the deck other than dumb luck. Older sets used to have a lot of "Put a card on the bottom of your deck" effects, but the only one I can think of in the past 5 years is Caitlin :(

EDIT: Based on the fact that the dude put a Metal energy on Bronzong BREAK I'm really hoping it has an ability like "As often as you like/Once during your turn, you may move a [M] energy from 1 of your Benched Pokemon to your Active Pokemon". That, combined with Max Elixir might actually make Genesect streamable enough to be useful

Last edited:
Aerodactyl is very good, and could be build with the power of Gallade from BKT.

Aerodactyl + Lord Helix + Gallade = Die.

It looks to me like shuckles attacks are
[C] Hide fruit
[C][C] Wrap. 30 with some sort of effect possibly prevent running, paralysis or coin toss to discard energy?

And as for Brozong BREAK, if you look to the left of the base of his body, it looks like there is a strange thing thats not part of the background design, so Im going to bet he has an attack for [C]

I really like that theyre making more fossil support, but I havent really liked how the fossil trainer cards are done. The whole check the bottom of the deck thing isnt really useful unless theres something to set the pokemon at the bottom of the deck. Kind of wish fossil research was good for any restored pokemon instead of just the XY fossils..

Aerodactyl is acutally pretty good !
I'm loving the new Fossil love !
Genesect-EX is actually very good with phf Bronzong
Delphox Break is obviously happening 100%

With some more support Aerodactyl could be a good secondary attacker in Manectric Ex/Crobat. Maybe they will reprint fossil researcher but make it playable will all fossil Pokemon.

I'm pretty excited for Aeordactyl and Omastar BREAK. I could see it working in decks that don't use restored Pokémon as attackers. That free Lysandre is pretty cool.

maybe they will go crazy and create a Mew-Break... this would be insane! Psychic Kings indeed.

Love the Aerodactyl!

My friend checked the cards in japanese on the web pokemon-card.com
And beonzong break has the ability similar to manaphy-ex all (metal) type pokemons or the pokemons having metal type energy has no retreat cost i am not sure if the effect applies on metal type pokemon or pokemon having metal type energy because i didnt notice very well because the web is chinese or japanese which i cant understand you can check the web for cards

I'd like to see a Miltank Break with "Super Powerful Friends" or something.
That would be interesting. Maybe tacks on extra damage if you have a Mega on the field or a BREAK on the field. I doubt that it will happen in this set though. We already have Lugia BREAK, Bronzong BREAK, Omastar BREAK, and a probable Delphox BREAK.

I wrote about how there might be a different supporter for these fossils the other day, it's good that it is a trainer and not a supporter.

How does it work? Two in any combination. So does old amber and Aerodactyl count as one or two, there are no commas between the the fossil name and the restored pokemon name, but only after a matching pair.

The Aerodactyl is really powerful. You can use it and Lugia from the same set in almost any deck and expect it to pay back.

I think that bronzongs ability will have something to do with tools to complement the genesect EX. Something that lets you attach a tool from your discard to bronzing.

I wonder how Kabutops is going to blend in this fossil combo. Maybe damage spread (only for EX) so it is easier to finish off with Aerodactyl?

Mega Catcher needs to be errata'd or removed. Megas already suck. When you have a pre-errata Catcher on them, Megas will die. Come on guys. Show some love to the Megas already.

Aerodactyl has potential with the new Fossil support cards. I can gurantee we can see him in a deck of his own or teched into some decks at high level tourmaments. Mark. My. Words. A DCE for 120 damage and discarding a special energy is too good. He also has free retreat making him very flexible.

So I just watched the video, and we actually didn't get to see how Omanyte got to bench. Are we sure they use the same "check your bottom 7 cards" mechanic? The fossil cards in his hand were half obscured and pretty blurry.

Fossil Excavation Kit seems cool though, gives you another chance to search out those hit-or-miss helix fossils and use items from hand until the inevitable Archies to actually get Omastar out.

Mew + D Valley is another option to help stream Aerodactyls off of basic energy if DCEs become a problem.

Pokemon Company:
"I have a great idea, lets make Mega Pokemon! But none of them will ever live to be as good as good ol Genesect EX and Keldeo EX Blastoise, and as soon as they get a chance lets make a whole expansion with cards that will kill them."

So yay, Pokemon you might as well stop printing megas, and come up with something new. Personally I would like to see legends again. (Imagine a Xerneas and Yveltal LEGEND)

I wish Cradily got a chance because Plasma Blast Cradily was awesome with Lifesplosion or whatever.

It looks to me like shuckles attacks are
[C] Hide fruit
[C][C] Wrap. 30 with some sort of effect possibly prevent running, paralysis or coin toss to discard energy?

And as for Brozong BREAK, if you look to the left of the base of his body, it looks like there is a strange thing thats not part of the background design, so Im going to bet he has an attack for [C]

I really like that theyre making more fossil support, but I havent really liked how the fossil trainer cards are done. The whole check the bottom of the deck thing isnt really useful unless theres something to set the pokemon at the bottom of the deck. Kind of wish fossil research was good for any restored pokemon instead of just the XY fossils..
When I tried playing fossils, I used Caitlin to get the pokemon on the bottom of my deck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this in the same set as Umbreon? I thought they wanted to spread out the Eeveelutions so that I go broke.

That's a pretty damn overpowered Aerodactyl.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY GOD!!!!!! Glaceon has been revealed! I better get that FA card. HYYYYYYYYPPPE! Oh yeah and the M-Altaria is cool too.

Back