News Japan's SM3+ Set: 'Shining Legends!'

BKRapper

Aspiring Trainer
Ouch! 4 Free Prize Cards to your opponents, early win.
  • Baby Raikou (#HeyNick, Who's Nick?) - I love it! It's like Yveltal, period. Attach bunch of L Energy to BKT Raikou to deal bunch of Energy with either Raikou BKT or Raichu GX. BTW, Raichu's first atk is like Darkrai's Dark Pulse. 5 Geodudes immediately, no doubt

I chose the 4 line just so you could get at least 1 or 2 out and insta-attack with Raichu. The other two would likely be dead cards. Hopefully nobody actually decides to use all 4 in a match because you're right - they'd be setting themselves up for an insta-loss.

And now that Raikou has been revealed, I'd probably play this more like Volcanion and cut something to fit 2 of them in.

Now I'm thinking it looks something like this. Feel free to make edits per your preference!

Pokemon 16
4 Tapu Koko GX
4 Voltorb
3 Electrode
3 Pikachu
2 Raichu GX
2 Tapu Lele
2 Raikou

Supporter 12
3 Sycamore
3 N
2 Acerola
2 Lysandre / Guzma
1 Brigette
1 Ace Trainer

Stadium 4
4 Aether

Tool 4
4 Choice Band

Item 14
4 Ultra Ball
4 Max Elixir
2 VS Seeker
2 Multi Switch
1 Super Rod
1 Field Blower

Energy 10
10 Lighting Energy

Last edited:

uncleyuri

~
So we got the lightning version of darkrai with Raichu GX and now the lightning version of baby yveltal with this guy. Not bad at all.

TotoBoss

Kappa
Agree volcanion is much more effective , 2 energy attach and due to volcanion-ex ability; however Yveltal was widely used early game to get some extra energy onto bench for Darkrai with same attack damage.
I honestly didn't think of Yveltal. I don't know why because I use Yveltal myself in my dark decks and the more I think about it the more I like it. especially with new ways to discard cards: Zoroark-GX / Sophocles / Ultra ball / Plumeria and whatnot, You can get some quick energy discards and have an extra attachment for your turn. combine it with max elixir and it might not even be that big of a deal that Magnezone rotates (IF it does). You can get some quick energy on the board and with 210 hp you're a good tank as well. I like this Raichu-GX deck a lot the more I think about it.

Lord Goomy

Got Goomies?
I'm glad they're giving other types a chance, instead of just Dark and Grass, and Fire.
Super cool first attack, absolutely terrible second attack.

RiverShock

Aspiring Trainer
Raichu-GX does look like a good card and with the right setup could be a problem. A lot of Lightning types are getting GX cards and that worries me.

You're kidding, right? This is the fourth, and that's including Ash's Pikachu GX, which probably shouldn't count. A good number of types have that many, and a couple have more. Only the smaller types like Dragon or Metal have less.

I guess I could be reading more into this than I should given your Flying-type fetish, but still. We have a pretty reasonable number of Lightning Pokemon-GX. (The types in general for GX are pretty balanced right now, really. Makes sense that things like Dragon have fewer.)

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
Come on atleast make the Raikou 2nd attack [L][C][C], it's doing 90 damage and no more. Hopefully we see a Suicune in this set even though it is highly unlikely.

Fayld

Rayquaza / Eelektross Master
Advanced Member
Raichu-GX does look like a good card and with the right setup could be a problem. A lot of Lightning types are getting GX cards and that worries me.

Throw enough lightning pokemon at the wall and one has to stick right? I honestly feel like that is what is going on here sadly :( There still isn't really enough energy acceleration for anything lightning to succeed with the [L][L][C] they continue to insist on putting on them. While Magnezone *could* get you there, you are still talking about a S2 + S1 along with enough energy to make it work and that has inconsistent deck written all over it :(

As for Raikou, is there some particular reason they feel the need to make it so it doesn't drag as many energy out as Volcanion? As it stands, there aren't enough "nuke" pokemon in the lightning tree to really take advantage of this. I hope Raikou, Raichu GX, Koko GX becomes a thing. Just not sure how well that thing actually works.

TheRealBro..

Damn that's cool artwork, although I hate that Entei takes the limelight once again...

This. Really solid 'less is more' artwork, again. Bravo gen 7. Proving that the existence of fancy EX/GX cards doesn't have to mean the regular holo cards can't look great anymore.

Tropical Peaches

Aspiring Trainer
Seems to be some similarity between what this potential lightning type deck does and Lurantis GX and volcanion. I wonder how well the raikou could do with Tapu Koko GX.

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
Baby Raikou is great in Koko because it lets you play the 7 prize game and get 2 energy back onto one of your Kokos in one turn if you lose one with energy on it for some reason. Then the next turn you can attach from hand and get going again.

falzarpmu

Aspiring Trainer
Very interesting. Powerful Spark could be an awfully powerful attack with the right set up. Thunder does more damage that most other GX for their respective [Color] [Color] [Colorless] attack. Not really a fan of that self damage though. That in combination with the 1 RC could be nice for jumping out to throw Drampa GX out with his Berserk attack.

The GX attack is okay. Not crazy about the damage it does, and paralysis is suddenly a gamble of a coin flip, and praying your opponent doesn't Guzma the next turn.
thought paralysis was no coinflip and it was a straight up no chance to attack next turn?

Zeno

The Wanderer
Yes! More lightning support is always good in my book. Can't wait to try it out with Raichu GX.

thought paralysis was no coinflip and it was a straight up no chance to attack next turn?

That's right, I was mixing up the special condition rulings. That's even better, then you're only waiting for their Guzma if they can use it that turn.

Last edited:

HA559

Aspiring Trainer
Suicune has to be in this set, now that I think about it. It is the only legendary from gen 2 missing currently.