News Japan's First 2019 Sets: 'Night Unison,' 'Full Metal Wall'

MegaAbsol10

I'm playing Big Blacephalon next quarter :)
In the past, only Ultra Beasts have had prize-dependent effects.
Oh of course! Thinking about it now, that is pretty weird. The card might as well be nearly unplayable due to you needing to be 3+ prizes behind. At that point, you need a serious comeback.

snoopy369

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
I wasn’t sure what to say at the time, and it seems it didn’t win. However, even though there are some clear top tier decks, after the rotation, the possibilities for what decks are viable seem much more varied now. So I wouldn’t rule out anything being able to do well! (Then again, if this was expanded, I’m unsure what all is doing well with that format.)

Yes, Anaheim was an Expanded tournament.

That said, I played Metagross some post-LOT, and unfortunately it still seems to set up too slowly; but more significantly, Blacephalon hits it for weakness, so you have to play Metagross/Solgaleo in order to have any chance (which further slows it down).

ICEdaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
The problem with Greninja's attack is that you often will not knock out a GX with it, because your opponent's lowest remaining HP Pokemon usually ends up being a Non-GX anyways. And on most situations you could KO a GX with the move, the victim would be damaged enough that most decent attackers could knock it out anyways with lesser effort.

Also, there is something vague about the wording: Do we have to choose the lowest remaining HP between all Pokemon in play, excluding itself, regardless of which side they are on? If so, then if a 70 HP Froakie on your bench had the lowest HP of your side, and lower HP than any of your opponent's Pokemon, your opponent would be safe from the attack, as that poor frog would become the victim of the move instead.

With Gardy LvX, if there were 2 Pokemon with the same HP remaining, the attacker could choose which one to bring down.

Duke Erebus

Aspiring Trainer
I had a great idea about how you swing hard with a Pikachu/Zekrom Tag-Team, and then when it goes down, you use Raichu to charge up the next one (since your opponent just took three prizes). Then you finish out the game with your second Tag-Team. But that doesn't work if you take any prizes with your first Tag-Team, which would be a bad spot to be in if you want to finish the game before you lose a second Tag-Team....

You might be able to get more mileage out of Raichu if you run it alongside the paralyze-upon-evolution Raichu as a tech.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
  • Raichu - not good as an early game stuff, but good as a comeback. 3-4 Geodudes
  • Electromagnetic Radar - Lightning GXs are always welcome! 4 Geodudes

pokeraider123456

Aspiring Trainer
Wow that’s incredibly strong, good lord. I’d honestly run 1-2 of him in expanded since there are enough ways to spread damage counters
you technically dont even need damage counters, just choose any lowest hp pokemon and knock it out. since you can choose yours or your opponent, will it even work if the opponent has 1 pokemon

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
Wow! Big boost for electric Pokemon. This with Pikachu-Zekrom Tag Team and now I am looking up all the different kinds of electric Pokemon this can be used with. Also, Electromagnetic Radar is a must in all Electric decks that run GX & EX Pokemon.

OppositeAttract

Aspiring Trainer
Sorry, but Naganadel lets both player's prizes down to 3, Raichu needs you 3 prizes behind in order to accel nrg.

Oh, I wasn't saying to use Naganadel GX and then play Raichu. I meant you use Raichu to energy accelerate when down 3 prizes to pokemon like Naganadel's GX and then take 3 prizes by using Naganadel's GX ability.