News Japan's December Sets: 'Ultra Sun' and 'Ultra Moon!'

Jason Martin

Aspiring Trainer
As a TCG dealer, I *really* hope these are closer to regular holos or Ultra Rares in terms of rarity than the ridiculousness of the Shining Pokémon. I've had collectors throwing in the towel on complete sets, and players resigning themselves to playing without Shining Mew/Genesect due to the absurd cost. TPCI needs to be cateful about increasing the amount of "Premium" singles, without increasing the hit rate.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
  • Lunala Prism Star - Finally, a possible good energy accel for Psychic-types, hopefully. The second atk is like Psystorm Delphox but even worse. 4 Basic Frikin Energy. Whose gonna use it? 4-5 Geodudes because it is a good starter Pokémon Or an early-game one, just to launch huge energy application. Not weak to Garb, but weak tp Zoroark.

TheRealBro..

Well, artwise these prism cards are interesting, being somewhat minimalist especially compared to the late EX and GX cards. However I really don't like the big prism in the middle. Would have to see one up close for final judgement.

PieterPie

Aspiring Trainer
As a TCG dealer, I *really* hope these are closer to regular holos or Ultra Rares in terms of rarity than the ridiculousness of the Shining Pokémon. I've had collectors throwing in the towel on complete sets, and players resigning themselves to playing without Shining Mew/Genesect due to the absurd cost. TPCI needs to be cateful about increasing the amount of "Premium" singles, without increasing the hit rate.

They need to find a balance between playability and collectability. I don't think $20 for a shining mew is unreasonable, it will maintain value over time. Players would need multiple Tapu Leles anyway, which are $35 each. We need chase cards and high rarity that will be valuable long term for the hobby to be sustainable. Cards also need to be available and reasonably cheap for players. I don't think $100-200 for a low rarity, competitive standard deck is unreasonable, it's always been that way...

raymond25962

Aspiring Trainer

Shining cards aren't even that expensive...

DKQuagmire

Who else but Quagsire?
Apart from the first attack being identical to Solgaleo's first attack from yesterday, that second attack is the same as (Or almost the same as) Gardevoir ex's second attack from Sandstorm ex, back in gen 3. only that attack cost was a bit better being 1 psychic and 3 colourless, but you only did 10 damage times the number of energy in play.

Look! that was really good for an ex card back in 2004 ok.

Now I wait until I get a water type prism star Pokemon for my Ninetales deck. Any chance of a Kyurem, Suicune or Articuno prism? ...Seeing as how the prism cards are all likely to be legendary Pokemon.

if the set is mostly focused on gen 4 pokemon, a Palkia Prism card would be awesome!

Duo

RIP Nessa 2023
This is a neat card, but it's unfortunately coming in at a bad time.

The Solgaleo deck is currently getting the most hype, and Solgaleo resists Psychic.

Lunala is also weak to Darkness, and Zoroark GX is starting to pick up steam.

The 2nd attack is very interesting, but once again if Solgaleo really does become one of the most popular decks when we get Ultra Prism, the fact that the SuMo Solgaleo GX discards energy on attack makes it pretty underwhelming. Even in the mirror match where the new Lunala GX discards 2 energy, Turtonator GX discards energy, Bulu discards energy, and Alolan Ninetales GX discards energy.

Great card when you put it in a vacuum, but it will likely be not good due to the anticipated meta.

But let's not be a downer about this. These new prism star Pokemon are neat and I like the mechanic.

Part of me thinks that one of the reasons why they're forcing these cards to be 1 ofs is to make Gladion more playable in the future when Prism Star Pokemon become the primary tech option in most decks and you don't want them to be stuck in your prizes. But maybe I'm just crazy.

Caleb Collects

I dont like pokemon the movie i choose you
This Lunala will be a beast! If i get this lunala i will destroy anyone who will come in my way!

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
Interesting energy accelerator, but it doesn't seem strong enough for being a stage 2.
Return of Lost Zone is cool!