would it be okay to make a psychic/ghost/poison-type into a fairy-type in SM or BWXY era, since fairy-type is represented by psychic now?
Yep — Psychic, Ghost, and Poison were all represented by [P] in XY and SM, so making a Pokémon of one of those types into a [Y] card in one of those eras would certainly fit the bill for this theme.would it be okay to make a psychic/ghost/poison-type into a fairy-type in SM or BWXY era, since fairy-type is represented by psychic now?
Welcome to the January 2023 round of the Create-a-Card!
This month’s theme is New Year, New Type, back for its second incarnation after we first used it two years ago!
Throughout the TCG’s history, there have been cases where Pokémon have been given cards with types they don’t possess in the games. Delta Species Pokémon are the most famous example, but the upcoming cards featuring the Terastal Phenomenon are likely to lend us another, and there have even been cards like Torkoal P1 and Lugia CL which have “wrong” types for apparently no reason at all.
This month, we want to see your take on a card like this. Your entry can be a Delta Species Pokémon, a Terastallized Pokémon, or any other mechanic you like — so long as you can justify why the card is the type it is, it’s up to you!
Following their temporary restriction last round to honor game spoilers, Generation IX Pokémon are allowed this month. Pick any Pokémon you like, pick a type it doesn’t normally have, and let your imagination run wild!
- To sign up, you must reply to the thread below by January 10th at 11:59 pm EST, specifying which category you wish to enter. A post like “In for text!” or “In for image!” is sufficient. You may enter both categories if you wish.
- You may register with a partner and work together on the same card. This way each member can use their different talents and combine their skills, especially if one of you is an artist and the other is a TCG player. (Feel free to post in the thread that you’re looking for a partner if you want one.)
- We have a total of 15 spaces available for text-based entries and 15 for image-based. If you’ve never done an image-based card before, now is a great time to learn! PokéBeach has many card blanks and guides available for use, and we have a vibrant Discord community willing to help with any questions you might have.
Max Points: 50
We’re all tired of effectless attacks! Without images, part of the intrigue with text-based cards is the creativity of Pokémon Power / Body / Ability / attack effects. Let’s see something cool and new!
Total: 20 points
Proper wording is key in designing any custom card. As official wording has changed many times over the years, try to ensure wording is correct for the era of card you choose. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
Text-based fakers may format their entries any way they choose, but for those who are new or would like a guideline to follow, this is a simple formatting guideline you can follow:
Pokémon – Type – HP50
Stage 1 – Evolves from Pokémon
NO. 000 [Name] Pokémon HT: 1’11” WT: 111.1 lbs.
[R][C] Attack 20
Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: [C] [C] [C]
Total: 15 points
Text-based fakes rely heavily on their believability. Think of your entries as if they were real cards. Try to avoid those 400 HP monsters which do 200 damage for [R]! Proper Weakness and Resistance, Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will also be taken into consideration. We will assume that your card is being created for the current TCG era unless otherwise stated, so if you are making a card for a previous era, you must mention this in your entry post.
Total: 15 points
Max Points: 50
This is a given. With the proper photo editing tools, let your imagination run wild! Among other things, this can involve innovating new mechanics, envisioning new card interactions, and exploring exciting gameplay potential or other design space.
Total: 15 points
Believability and playability are both integral to a custom card’s realism. A card’s playability is its power level — try not to be overpowered or underpowered for the era you’re designing in! For believability, proper Weakness and Resistance, Pokédex information, ballpark HP, and so on will be taken into consideration.
Total: 15 points
Proper wording is key in designing any custom card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose, as card wording has changed many times over the years. Naturally, grammar and spelling are also taken into consideration.
Total: 10 points
- Fonts and Placement
Correct fonts (which may change era by era) are imperative when creating realistic custom cards — even for custom blanks, fonts in line with the convention can go a long way toward making them appear realistic. Placement of text / symbols / etc. is also taken into consideration.
Total: 5 points
Aesthetics is all about how your card looks as a complete whole. Aspects of this category include using creative and appropriate artwork, using neat or custom blanks, and overall having an appealing card creation. Additionally, you may not use existing artwork from the TCG for your cards. If you’d like to use Ken Sugimori stock artwork, you may do so, but it must be transformative in nature.
Total: 5 points
And that’s the point breakdown for this round’s Create-a-Card! @Jabberwock will be judging image-based, and @PMJ will be judging text-based.
- The card you submit must be of a Pokémon — that is, not a Trainer, Energy, or other type of card. Occasionally, we open this up to other types of cards if the month’s theme warrants it, but otherwise it’s impossible to judge Pokémon cards against Trainer cards, since their uses in-game are so different.
- For those entering image-based, you must include the symbol here on your card (such as the set symbol) or your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by Nekoban Ryo, who continually creates resources for the custom card world and is a prominent faker himself. In addition, we do not allow any image-based entries that have been made using automatic, online card generators.
- If you edit your post, you’ll incur a deduction of 2 points from your overall score. Posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points. When you submit, make sure you’re done! If you mess up the tags or have a similar coding disaster, tag or PM me to get it fixed. If you forget to credit someone, do so in a new post instead of editing.
- Participants who sign up but fail to submit a card by the deadline, if the category is full, will automatically lose 2 points for the next round (similar to losing 2 points for the current round for editing). If the category you have signed up for is full and if you wish to drop out, you must do so with three days remaining before the deadline to avoid the penalty. Continuing to fail to post a submission in future rounds will result in a possible ban from the contest for a couple of months. Please keep a close eye on the deadline.
- The judges do not give feedback on entries before they are posted. However, you’re encouraged to seek out help from other members of the community! The forums are an acceptable place for this, but you may be able to get faster feedback in the Custom Card Community Discord server here.
- Artists/illustrators are free to post in this thread, letting participants know that they are available.
- All entries should meet the forum rules. You should always credit the artist, and never use someone else’s art without their permission — that’s art theft.
- Winning entries may be posted to the Custom Card Community’s social media accounts, with context and credit to the card creator(s). [Facebook][Twitter][Instagram][Tumblr]
Deadline: January 31st (Tue.) 11:59 pm EST
Here’s a deadline countdown for convenience: [link]
- @Falling Skies
- This could be you!
Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.
Want to help advertise the contest? Just paste the code below for the banner in your sig!
Credit goes to @Nekoban Ryo, @Xous, and @Jabberwock for the banner.
I’d like to submit an entry for Image basedFAQ from the last time we ran this theme, potentially to be expanded if we receive more questions this month:
The intent of this theme is that you choose a Pokémon and assign it a type it cannot have under normal TCG typing rules. As an example, take Yanmega. [G] and [C] are both off-limits, because Yanmega is Bug-type (which defaults to [G]) and Flying-type (which defaults to [C]). Any other type would be fair game, but some might get you more Creativity and/or Believability points than others.
Delta Species and (presumably) the upcoming Tera Pokémon are good examples of Creatures doing this themselves, but you don't have to restrict yourself to these mechanics if you can justify a new type another way. As usual, let your imagination run wild!
- Can I submit a Fakemon / custom form of an existing Pokémon? How about a custom type? Good questions. Usually we allow both, but since the intent of this round is to get you to reimagine an existing Pokémon as a different existing type, we're going to ask that you save Fakemon and custom types for a future round.
- Can I submit a Pokémon using a type it's technically had in the TCG if that type doesn't follow "normal TCG typing rules"? For example, a [G]-type Snorlax or a [F]-type Torkoal? Yes! Just because PCL sometimes violates their own rules doesn't mean they're not rules. Under those rules, Snorlax would always be a [C] Pokémon and Torkoal a [R] Pokémon, so for the purposes of this contest you could certainly make a [G] Snorlax or a [F] Torkoal, even though PCL has already done it.
- Can I submit (for example) a [N]-type Sceptile, even though its Mega Evolved form is Dragon-type? Yeah. Technically, Megas are the same Pokémon, but that's a big "technically," and they're far enough removed from their base forms that this is justifiable.
- Can I submit a dual-type card where only one of the types is "new"? For example, a [M]/[L]-type Aggron? This is fine. Metagross DS had this type combination, but counted as a Delta Species Pokémon. As long as it has at least one "new" type, you're good.
- Can I submit a card whose type is new for the provided era, but would be normal in a different era? For example, a [G]-type HGSS-era Seviper? Sure, provided it's the wrong type for the era you submit it in. Remember that in text-based, the era is assumed to be modern (SwSh) unless stated otherwise.
Porygon-Z - Lightning [L] - HP130
Stage 2 - Evolves from Porygon2
NO. 474 Virtual Pokémon HT: 2'11" WT: 75.0 lbs.
[Ability] Hyperdrive Virus
If this Pokémon is Knocked Out by damage from an attack from your opponent's Pokémon, ignore all Energy in the attack costs of [L] Pokémon during your next turn. (This includes Pokémon that come into play on that turn.)
[L] Data Roundup 50
If Porygon is on your bench, this attack deals 20 more damage. If Porygon2 is on your bench, this attack deals 40 more damage.
[L][L][L][L] Long Short Circuit 150
This attack also does 150 damage to 1 of your opponent's Benched Pokémon (don't apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokémon). During your next turn, your Pokémon can't use Long Short Circuit. (This includes Pokémon that come into play on that turn.)
Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Yep, I been a fan for a long time.