It just gets better (Gen 5 Sandstorm team)

BananaCorn

I don't exist
Howdy all.

As you know, sandstorm got a MASSIVE boost this gen, so I'm abusing it as much as possible while I can, before Smogon bans all Auto-weather Pokemon from the metagame.

I've been making this team for about six months, and to post the entire teambuilding process would make this a rediculously long thread.

IT JUST GETS BETTER, FOLKS

248.gif

Leeroy (Tyranitar) @ Leftovers
Sand Stream
Sassy Nature (-Spd, +Sp.D)
252 HP, 180 Sp.A, 76 Sp.D

~Stealth Rock
~Fire Blast
~Superpower
~Crunch

As with all weather teams, this one needed a weather starter. I used to run Hippowdon, but Tyranitar is a beast in the sand, with what equates to 420 Sp.D. So many Pokemon have launched non-STAB Focus Blasts at him and he still finds time to set up SR. he also lures in the like of Scizor and Ferrothorn, who try to set up and get nailed by Fire Blast. It's very tempting for the opponant to switch into a Physical sweeper and set up, only to take 50% or more from Fire Blast. Tyranitar's survival isn't essential for the team to succeed, unless I see a Blissey, or they use another type of weather. Not much else to add, but this guy is so much fun to use well. Oh, EVs are for maximum bulk.

530.gif

Spiky (Doryuuzu) @ Air Balloon
Sand Rush
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -Sp.A)
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def

~Rock Slide
~Earthquake
~Swords Dance
~X-Scissor

Every Sandstorm team would be incomplete without this beauty. Every Pokemon in the original v1.0 of this team has been replaced except this guy. He is the best late-game sweeper and revenge killer all wrapped into one. Air Balloon can give him a turn to boost his Attack to an almost uncounterable level. He doesn't get Stone Edge, but Rock Slide does the job well, and X-Scissor knocks back some well-needed OHKOs. Used to run Rapid Spin on this set, but I prefer using extra turns to boost my attack. There are a few counters for this, unfortunately, so I need to eliminate the likes of Skarmory, Quagsire, Gliscor, and Rotom-W before he attempts a sweep.

485.gif

Ruapehu (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Flash Fire
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
252 Sp.A, 252 Spd, 4 HP

~Fire Blast
~HP Grass
~Earth Power
~Dragon Pulse

I really needed a Fire counter, and this is the best Fire counter in the game. Air Balloon is an amazing item for Heatran, taking away his biggest weakness, the dreaded Earthquake. HP Grass provides the best coverage on this set, although I'm not looking forward to soft resetting on Diamond to get him. He has really nice coverage, but is walled by Chansey and Blissey. Still, I never used one of these before, and it's really good, providing a plethora of counters to the counters in the rest of the team.

195.gif

Derplodocus (Quagsire) @ Leftovers
Unaware
Careful Nature (+Sp.D, -Sp.A)
252 HP, 252 Sp.D, 4 Def

~Stockpile
~Waterfall
~Rest
~Sleep Talk

Just look at that moveset for a moment. Then look at his ability. When I first saw this set, I died a little inside. This guy gets so many ragequits that it's not funny anymore. He counters Garchomp, Gliscor, Excadrill, and more. The best thing about this guy is that not everyone knows about his new ability yet, so I get +3 most of the time. Enough said.

286.gif

Psilocybin (Breloom) @ Toxic Orb
Poison Heal
Adamant Nature
252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def

~Spore
~Substitute
~Focus Punch
~Seed Bomb

Breloom is arguably the best Pokemon in the metagame. I'm using the Poison Heal varient instead of the more popular Technician set because Life Orb + Sandstorm is the reason that I stopped using Virizion. Although I'm sure you all know what it does, here's a reminder. Spore, Sub up on the switch, and Focus Punch or Seed Bomb as necessary. That's all, folks.

034.gif

Queen (Nidoking) @ Life Orb
Sheer Force
Modest Nature (+Sp.A, -Atk)
252 Sp.A, 252 Spd, 4 Def

~Earth Power
~Ice Beam
~Thunderbolt
~Flamethrower

Whoo boy, this is a magnificant Pokemon. His Dream World ability gives a 30% boost to all moves with added effects. Life Orb gives his moves a further 30% boost, but there is NO RECOIL. In other words, he packs one HELL of a punch. By far, the best thing about this Pokemon is the fact that he didn't see much use before this Gen, so people have a hard time guessing his speed. Base 80 Speed outruns Dragonite, some Gliscor, Tyranitar, and more. He has almost perfect coverage, the only things that can force a switch are Chansey, Blissey, and Rotom-W.

Conclusion: This team isn't perfect, it has its flaws. But it works well, and it's fun to use. Feel free to critique and ask any questions that you feel are necessary. I will be happy to answer.

One Approved

;
Advanced Member
BananaCorn said:
As you know, sandstorm got a MASSIVE boost this gen, so I'm abusing it as much as possible while I can, before Smogon bans all Auto-weather Pokemon from the metagame.

...Since when is smogon banning all auto-weather Pokémon? Last time I checked, none of them were even remotely close to being voted uber, save for Drizzle.

I'm wondering what you have to stop Drizzle. Drizzle teams spam Water/Grass Pokémon, which ruin every member of your team save for Breloom (which gets taken out by either Hurricane Tornadus, or anything with HP Ice/Ice Beam.) I think you need some kind of mon to check Rain. Ferrothorn probably would work the best, because he can get up Stealth Rock and Spikes, or he can abuse Leech Seed, which will rack up residual damage with Sand in play. I would drop Breloom myself, since Ferrothorn won't take any damage in the sand, and has better defensive typing outright.

The Yoshi

Wumbo
One thing I can help with is Tyranitar. T-Tar shouldn't be relying on Defense, since it can hold its ground against most things anyway. Just so you know, I know you took his moveset right from Smogon. I would consider a moveset like this to guarantee a Stealth Rock set-up:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature(+Spe, -SpA)
252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Roar

This moveset can almost guarantee that Stealth Rock is set-up T1 without T-Tar being KO'ed first. Then you can either attempt a few KO's, or use Roar to spread around some damage. I don't make many movesets, so don't trust me completely, but this is what I would do for a T-tar start. Hope this helped.

One Approved

;
Advanced Member
The whole point of TTar's set is so he can survive. He doesn't neccessarily need Stealth Rock up on turn 1, he just needs it up at some point during the match. The EV Spread he uses is just fine because with Sandstorm's effect on TTar's Special Defense, it becomes a lot harder to kill.

Just a quick note- I might try Pursuit over Crunch, because you can get stuff that's trying to switch out, but that's opinion based, and up to you.

The Yoshi

Wumbo
^I understand, that moveset is just for if he wants SR set-up T1. If that's part of his strategy, then he should use it. If not, then he can use the one he provided.

Cinesra

Aspiring Trainer
Breloom is arguably the best Pokemon in the metagame
Definitely not when Celebi and Toxic Orb Gliscor stop him cold.
I'm using the Poison Heal varient instead of the more popular Technician set because Life Orb + Sandstorm is the reason that I stopped using Virizion.
Why use LO on Virizion in the first place?

BananaCorn

I don't exist
Update: I have replaced Breloom with something that compliments the weaknesses of my team.

598.gif

Balls (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature (-Spd, +Def)
Iron Barbs
252 Def, 252 Sp.D, 4 HP

~Power Whip
~Gyro Ball
~Toxic
~Leech Seed

This fella provides a valuable water resist to the team, and balances relatively nicely with Heatran, despite the common Fighting weakness. I forwent Spikes for Gyro Ball, mainly because, if I wanted Spikes that badly, I'd use Skarmory. Toxic + Leech Seed + Sandstorm cripples almost any pokemon.

Any help with the EVs would be greatly appreciated. I took a peek on Smogon, but there's nothing good there. The analysis was done before the metagame was played with any frequency. Thanks for your advice.

@Shadow Arceus: No idea why I used LO on Virizion, I was using it as a special sweeper, for some reason.

One Approved

;
Advanced Member
^Just a Minor EV Tweak.

252 HP/208 SpDef/48 Def
Relaxed Nature

That's the standard spread on a ferrothorn. It gives it bulk in both defenses.

Also SA, Life Orb is a perfectly viable option on Virizion. Leftovers may have been a better choice to prevent massive recoil in sand, but otherwise there's nothing wrong with using Life Orb Virizion.

Equinox

Stallwart Player
Just a little add in, I'd suggest try running Regirock (I know it might be lolsy, but just let me explain).
Regirock is quite a defensive behemoth, and with SS going he gets a good Sp. Def boost, and with the current set he has 497 Sp Def and 437 Def, anyways, I'd suggest giving it a try. The Set:

Regirock @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Curse
- Rest
- Drain Punch
- Stone Edge