News 'Islands Waiting for You' and 'Moonlight of Alola': Japan's Next Sun and Moon TCG Set!

OHKO Lucario

Aspiring Trainer
MY EVALUATIONS!
  • Midnight Lycanroc GX - The words translated for the Jap scans will possibly changed in the English because the words are inappropriate for the young players. Anyways, its ability reminds me of Luxray GL Lv. X. The GX attack will be a brutal version of Zoroark, goog thing it can only use once.
  • Aether Park? - Lurantis is in danger! No! I'm so dumb. Lurantis gets an advantage. It serves as their additional defense.
  • Tapu Bulu GX - No weakness is hypothetical. Fire resists Fairy but why? I give it "2 to 3 Geodudes" (Rhyperior fires Geodude, remember?) (I don't give half, it won't be no sense.) (I get this pun to Sir google.) Why? because the attacks aren't superior enough for the meta.
Lycanroc is actually edited. Bloody eye is Bloodthirsty Eye, while death rogue is Dangerous Rogue. Sorry for the spoilers for y'all.

ZygardeGuy

Baba ba wawa ha ha ba ba
This is better than you all think. If people get out 1st turn Vileplume, Decidueye, and another Dartrix in one turn, we could get this and plume out turn one as well. I think plume will turn into the 10$$ archeops from NV. Smae with FGP, it's the Virbank. Hello Flareon EX. The OP meta only lasting for a couple months.

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
That Altar of the Sun is gonna help a lot of Volcanion Decks vs Quad Lapras.

Also Altar of the Moon for M Mewtwo and Darkrai/Yveltal decks could be interesting.

Doby

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
Interested to see how the meta will shift if at all after this set

Alakazam90125

Aspiring Trainer
Aqua Patch is unbalanced in my opinion. I still don´t think there is any truly amazing water Pokemon in the format: even Lapras to me seems a bit clunky because it requires constant Pokemon Ranger use (unless you attach a float stone to your Laprases and switch out every turn.)

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
Aqua Patch is unbalanced in my opinion. I still don´t think there is any truly amazing water Pokemon in the format: even Lapras to me seems a bit clunky because it requires constant Pokemon Ranger use (unless you attach a float stone to your Laprases and switch out every turn.)

The Lapras deck primarily uses Switching cards, like Escape Rope, and... well... Switch.
It can get away with it, because the low Pokemon count + Collect allows for a lot of tech cards.

I've also seen Manaphy used, which I thought was pretty good, though I suppose people don't want to risk 2 prizes.

I'd still never play Lapras... it's a decent deck though.

MoFoTY86

Aspiring Trainer
You still have Glaceon EX, Articuno, Regice as other attackers it can be used for. Also M Gyarado is something to look at with Mega Turbo. I haven't really sat down and looked in-depth but there are others besides Lapras GX. Plus with Alolan Nintales, Wishiwashi GX coming too. Just to name a few.

Hemos

The demonic Shadow Lugia/Mystical Raven Witch
I'm still waiting towards the rotation to see what, if any XY sets will be rotated out. If Evolutions remains on, I might try making a Mewtwo/Lunala deck for Altar of the Moone.

Of course, I'm also still waiting to see if they will localize 'The Best of XY', cause then I could toss some Yveltal EX in there too

Ecourts

Wanderer | Lvl.2
You still have Glaceon EX, Articuno, Regice as other attackers it can be used for. Also M Gyarado is something to look at with Mega Turbo. I haven't really sat down and looked in-depth but there are others besides Lapras GX. Plus with Alolan Nintales, Wishiwashi GX coming too. Just to name a few.

There honestly isn't a lot of targets for Aqua Patch.
Glaceon and Regice use DCE.
Articuno, I'm assuming the ancient trait one, isn't really used much; and one of it's strengths was being able to stall for 1 energy.

I talked about Alolan Ninetales and Wishwashi in my set analysis.
I think it could be good on Wishiwashi, and he might actually see play in some Rogue water decks (with maybe Kyogre or Gyarados).
But Ninetales is... a bit clunky, because ideally, you'd want to use DCE for it's first attack... but it's energy costs force you to attach water energy to actually do damage.
It just seems like you're burning a lot of resources on a card that doesn't really excel at a specific role.

Aqua patch is a good card that, in my opinion, doesn't really have a deck to go in.

Last edited:

Epist

Captain Clamps
Advanced Member
So if you can play items indiscriminately (AKA no GR Garbodor on your opponent's bench) then you can play an Altar of the Sun, use Field Blower to remove Spirit Link, toss on a choice band, and then hit for 150 every round (for only 2 energy) with Mega Scizor and no weakness to fire? Yes Please!

Or make that 160 if you have Dhelmise on the bench.... :)

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside

Plus, we still have Rough Seas, Dive Ball, and the new Stadium that searches for Water Pokemon on top of all that. Water is going to be a force to be reckoned with and it definitely needs to be taken in to consideration for anyone playing in this next Meta.

-Asmer

Tapu Lele

Inflated and Overstocked
Altar of the Moone:
CARD OP OMG PLEAZE BAN

Altar of the Sunne:
a slip of paper you leave on the table for your opponent to discard

Aqua patch:
Rhymes with trash <3

Vexen_IV

The Paul Heyman to Giratina-EX's Brock Lesnar.
That Altar of the Sun is gonna help a lot of Volcanion Decks vs Quad Lapras.

Also Altar of the Moon for M Mewtwo and Darkrai/Yveltal decks could be interesting.
Definitely going to be a tough choice between parallel city and AoM now for my deck.