News 'Islands Waiting for You' and 'Moonlight of Alola': Japan's Next Sun and Moon TCG Set!

I didn't realize how many of you loved playing solitaire and having more filler in sets.

No, not this set (at least, not necessarily), I'm talking about what some of the cards folks are celebrating might do to the game. The good news? Given how often I've been wrong on a particular doomsday scenario, "might" is probably giving me too much credit. I'm one of those players that believe the game has pacing problems. I am also the type that prefers something at least approaching a competitive balance between different Types and different Stages of Pokémon, and a use for most contemporary game mechanics. So what does this set do?

Yes, it gives us an Item-based counter for the big, bad Garbodor (XY: BREAKpoint 57/122). Unfortunately, the developers decided to recycle a past, overly effective Tool counter by reusing Windstorm (just with a name change). Think carefully about what that does to Stadium cards; the pacing of the game already incentivized using a Stadium with an instant reward, as all it takes is an opponent dropping his or her own Stadium to discard yours. On top of that, we have Paint Roller and Delinquent. Now? The only reason your opponent won't be using Field Blower to take out your Stadium is because you've got something that is more important to discard in play. Likewise, Tools are also going to have to go back to immediate benefits; the difference here is we did need another Tool discarding option to help balance things out. Pity we didn't just get Xerosic by another name.

In short, if you like careful setup decks that are not built around locks that leave your opponent helpless, or raw power decks that steam roll you once they (quickly) finish setting up, you probably shouldn't be celebrating stuff like Field Blower. Sure, your Stage 2 which relies upon an Ability finally has an answer to Garbotoxin... but does it have an answer to those other two broad categories of deck?

Yes, it gives us an Item-based counter for the big, bad Garbodor (XY: BREAKpoint 57/122). Unfortunately, the developers decided to recycle a past, overly effective Tool counter by reusing Windstorm (just with a name change). Think carefully about what that does to Stadium cards; the pacing of the game already incentivized using a Stadium with an instant reward, as all it takes is an opponent dropping his or her own Stadium to discard yours. On top of that, we have Paint Roller and Delinquent. Now? The only reason your opponent won't be using Field Blower to take out your Stadium is because you've got something that is more important to discard in play. Likewise, Tools are also going to have to go back to immediate benefits; the difference here is we did need another Tool discarding option to help balance things out. Pity we didn't just get Xerosic by another name.

TPCi seem to flip-flop from one extreme to the other. We either have the reign of King Garbodor in a world without Tool removal; or we have flexible and easily-deployed Tool removal with a powerful side effect (i.e. Stadium removal). This has the potential to render a lot of passive Tools and Stadiums (i.e. those that do not yield an immediate benefit) redundant - quirky cards such as Lucky Helmet, Poison Barb and Rescue Scarf, for example, are even less appealing now than they were before, thus narrowing the pool of viable cards.

It's a pity because, as you imply @Otaku, Xerosic was a balanced form of Tool removal, so it goes to show that it can be done right on occasion.

Another little gripe I have with cards like Field Blower (and Rescue Stretcher and Energy Lotto, etc.) is that they are not items from the video games. The games have such a wide range of interesting items that have never been converted into cards. I would rather see these printed first before we get a leaf blower from Screwfix.

Anyone else thinks that Whimsicott's attack "Overabundance of Fuzz" can be paired with Decidueye GX's Feather Arrow to get three prizes in a row? (Or four if sniping Shaymins?)

I didn't realize how many of you loved playing solitaire and having more filler in sets.

No, not this set (at least, not necessarily), I'm talking about what some of the cards folks are celebrating might do to the game. The good news? Given how often I've been wrong on a particular doomsday scenario, "might" is probably giving me too much credit. I'm one of those players that believe the game has pacing problems. I am also the type that prefers something at least approaching a competitive balance between different Types and different Stages of Pokémon, and a use for most contemporary game mechanics. So what does this set do?

In short, if you like careful setup decks that are not built around locks that leave your opponent helpless, or raw power decks that steam roll you once they (quickly) finish setting up, you probably shouldn't be celebrating stuff like Field Blower. Sure, your Stage 2 which relies upon an Ability finally has an answer to Garbotoxin... but does it have an answer to those other two broad categories of deck?

Agree with this. I also think Xerosic by a different name would have been far better for the game than field blower. I know everyone is looking at standard and drooling, but I think this is going to be pretty crippling in expanded.

"Clefairy – Fairy – HP60
Basic Pokemon

[Y] Bitch Slap: 10 damage."

...I'm going to assume this is just the translator messing with us. If not, we've got a competitor for funniest attack, up there with Hocus Pinkus and Everyone Explode Now.

Uhh I'm pretty sure Wailord evolves from Wailmer, not Tentatcool! And lol that first attack in for clefairy! :p Also Whimsicott + Umbreon take 6 prizes lol

"Clefairy – Fairy – HP60
Basic Pokemon

[Y] Bitch Slap: 10 damage."

...I'm going to assume this is just the translator messing with us. If not, we've got a competitor for funniest attack, up there with Hocus Pinkus and Everyone Explode Now.
And 'Surf together', 'Grip and Squeeze' and 'Offensive Needle'

Castform has been missing since Legends Awakened; nearly a decade! Happy to see it again.

Here's to hoping for a miraculous return of its three other formes soon as well.

I was hoping that some of the rares was going to be at least decent. . hopefull see some meta play. Of course it is all Garbage. Actually, speaking of Garbage, the garboder has a really good attack and the Honchkrow is also decent

12 Normal GXs + 12 FA GXs + 3 FA Supporters + 12 Rainbow Rares + 3 SR Energy + 6 SR Stuff (Water Patch, Enchanced Hammer, Field Blower, Max Potion, Rare Candy, SRDCE) = 48 SHINY CARDS! **Faint**
  • Means.... 21 Secret Rares! **faint**

Are we actually getting all the SRs from SM1+? Our "RA or better per set" rate is skyrocketing PER SET if that's true. Unless it's confirmed I find it hard to believe that we'd get so many. Since DCE and Rare Candy already got reprints isn't it possible that we just won't see SR versions in NA/EU? Also, who's the third FA supporter? Hau and Olivia are promos right, so it's uncertain if we'll see them at all?

What I'm really curious about is whether or not we're going to see Kiawe as a supporter in the near future. Mallow and Lana are out so he can't be far behind. Maybe as a reprint of Blacksmith? Poor fire type could use the added support.

HOLY HARAMBE'S Knew it was a lot of Urs + Srs, but 48?!? I want an answer from some ultra pro like WPM on why they think it's okay to do this. Also to WPM, why is Tapu Lele fair enough to be created?!?!

MY EVALUATIONS
  • Bellsprout/Weepinbell/Victreebel - Well not too good. Spec. Cons are good but the opponent find ways to counter it..
  • Petilil/Liligant - NATU good.
  • Wimpod/Golisopod - I love it. Preys on EXGXs. Lurantis boost the gamage. Thia can be good. Anyways, Lurantis Sunny Day is on Guardians Rising.
  • Phantump/Trevenant - Phantump is a nightmare in Expanded because it evolves into an Item Lock Trev and Trev BREAK, with Wally in one turn. Trev is also good, Vileplume makes a pair.
  • Victini - No need to explain further on V-Flip Victini. This deserves 4 Geodudes.
  • Chandelure - NATU good. If this card will be as awesome as Dusknoir, it can be good.
  • Salandit/Salazzle - It can be a good ability, but it is a one-time ability.
  • TurtonatorGX - A basic with good attacks? Wynaut? 2 Burning Energies for Bright Flame can deal 160 w/o discarding.
  • Alolan Sandshrew/Sandslash - Draw Power makes a bit different.
  • Alolan Vulpix/Ninetales - I love it. I don't think it'll see in Waterbox decks.
  • Tentacool/Tentacruel - NATU good.
  • Wailmer/Wailord - Very ODDISH-appointing that he won't beat GXs on HP.
  • Vanillite/Vanillish/Vanilluxe - I love it, not as playable but I love it.
  • Alomomola - NATU good.
  • Alolan Geodude/Graveler/Golem - The attacks are gosh darn expensive, even though its good enough.
  • Helioptile/Heliolisk - Oh no! Prof. K won't love to see this.
  • Koko GX - Good and Standard attacker.
  • Slowpoke/Slowblow - This would counter Helioptile. Kidding! Decent card.
  • Trubbish/Garbodor - Not the Garbotoxin one, but this Garbage is good when opponent recklessly spams items.
  • Gothita/Gothorita/Gothitelle - NATU good much.
  • Mimikyu - Good 1-per Psychic Decks card.
  • Dhelmise - So awesome! Are we have other Metal Pokemon better than Scizor.
  • Lele GX - It's a 5 Geodude Card. No need to explain.
  • Machop/Machoke/Machamp - Machoke stops Decidueye from its Terror. Machamp also decent tho.
  • Gligar/Gliscor - Decent huh?
  • Nosepass/Probopass - Why there are "Garbodor" cards created, including this one which is not so good.
  • Wishiwashi/WishiwashiGX - Forget Small Washi. Big Washi is good for Blue Surge only, thanks to Aqua Patch.
  • Barboach/Wishcash - Typhlosion is better than this one.
  • Pancham/Pangoro - Another "GARBODOR" card.
  • Rockruff/Night Lycanroc GX- The attack names must be changed but the card itself is amazing since Lysandre has its remaining months for standard legality.
  • Minior - This is good.
  • Murkrow/Honchkrow - Good with Mr. Owl Archer.
  • Sableye - This is... Broken? Well, Opponent find ways to counter it.
  • Beldum/Metang/Metagross GX - I love the card but... It is a Stage 2. Card-to-hand attack is still dangerous when N is around.
  • Clefairy/Clefable - The attack on Clefairy must be changed.
  • Cottonee/Whimsicotton - NATU much good.
  • Comfey - this deserves a lot of Geodudes if Spec. Conditions became a main concern.
  • Goomy/Sligoo/Goodra - We'll wait for a GOODra card because Sliggoo is good enough.
  • Jangmo-o/Hakamo-o/Kommo-O GX - Meh
  • Chansey/Blissey - NATU good.
  • Tailow/Swellow - I love Swellow's hairdue.
  • Castform - NATU good but it's s long time to see a Castform card.
  • Patrat/Watchog - NATU good.
  • Fletchling/Fletchinder/Talonflame - NATU good.
  • Komala - Can be good.
  • Aqua Patch - No more explanation. This deserves 5 Geodudes.
  • Rescue Stretcher - Non-Energy Version of Super Rod. Can be 1-2 per deck.
  • Field Blower - Bye bye Garb! This is an improved version of Tool Scrapper.
  • Energy Loto - Can be good with Special Energy decks.
  • Hala - Good Draw Support.
  • Mallow - Also a good card. I love it.
  • Aether Park - Are there other good basic Grass and Lightning Pokemon at the momemt.
  • Brooket Hill - Fit for Waterbox decks! ;)
  • Full Arts - Awesome artworks, but I don't play them.

Back