Discussion Is "Weakness" Ruining the PTCG?

I don't think Weakness itself is bad at all. However, I do think that the game is slowly shifting towards archetypes that use just 1 Type. There are Fighting decks, Fairy decks, Metal decks, Water decks, Grass decks, and Roaring Skies just brought us Colorless decks and Dragon decks. These just aren't that good of an idea for a metagame because it means that way too many decks will have autolosses, especially since Weaknesses aren't as variable as they were in BW. To give an example of what I mean, Water Types are weak to G, L, and M. Now, they aren't weak to L unless they're Flying Types, which make them more susceptible to specific matchups. A similar case is true for Dragon Types, which used to be balanced since they were weak to theirselves. Now that they're Fairy Weak instead, they have much more one-sided matchups and they lose one of the things that made them unique in the first place.

I don't think Weakness itself is bad at all. However, I do think that the game is slowly shifting towards archetypes that use just 1 Type. There are Fighting decks, Fairy decks, Metal decks, Water decks, Grass decks, and Roaring Skies just brought us Colorless decks and Dragon decks. These just aren't that good of an idea for a metagame because it means that way too many decks will have autolosses, especially since Weaknesses aren't as variable as they were in BW. To give an example of what I mean, Water Types are weak to G, L, and M. Now, they aren't weak to L unless they're Flying Types, which make them more susceptible to specific matchups. A similar case is true for Dragon Types, which used to be balanced since they were weak to theirselves. Now that they're Fairy Weak instead, they have much more one-sided matchups and they lose one of the things that made them unique in the first place.

This is why I stuck with my Eevee deck that I built for fun.
Decks have become so specific to one type and as a format changes, adapting the deck became very easy because it made picking evolutions much easier. If I'm going to a tournament I'm not gonna be stupid enough to throw in Espeon, Jolteon, Sylveon, or Vaporeon. Instead I'm going to go with Leafeon, Flareon, and Glaceon because I know the top decks I'll see are Toads, VirGen, some Pyroar, and MegaMan. This way my deck can easily handle them and I've tried sticking to one-type decks and it just doesn't work for me.

So the best option I find is to slap together the most splashable things I can find that counter whatever is good.

Back