Help Is This Card Real or Fake? Need Help Urgently!

nayeo

Aspiring Trainer
I got this card from a friend and I would like to know if it is real or fake. I believe it is from the Neo Genesis expansion. I personally think they are fake but would like confirmation. If it is fake would there be any value to it? Thanks!!
https://imgur.com/gallery/4YKhipx

FourteenAlmonds

Helipotile
There is a lot of colour variation in the borders of both cards, and they're both seemingly miscut. This is often a sign of fakes, but it does happen every now and then and I don't know enough about Neo Genesis or Japanese cards to tell from that alone.

The main thing pointing to its illegitimacy to me is the holofoil pattern -- it seems pretty wierd, and I haven't been able to find any reverse holo images of what the cards are supposed to look like online. From what I can tell, the holofoil of the era was similar to today's galaxy foil and the reverse holo was simply that galaxy foil printed on the rest of the card rather than the art. Since the foil on those cards is very different to anything I've seen online and the quality of the foil and print seems low in general, I'd say it's most likely to be fake.

Another thing I noticed, after I initially wrote this, is that the placements of the weakness/resistance symbols are considerably off for both cards. As well as this, the placement of the Stage 1 text (below HP on the Noctowl) is a fraction high -- compare it to the text on the Hoothoot, and it's more noticeable.

My verdict is that they're fake. I'm not an expert on this era, but that's my judgement here; if someone with more experience wants to contest that, then I'd be glad to hear why.

As for your other question -- if they are fake, there is little to no value to the cards from a collector's point of view. As far as I know, there's no market for fake cards and unless you're selling a bulk lot of them for kids who don't care about their legitimacy, then nobody is going buy them knowing that they're fake.

nayeo

Aspiring Trainer
There is a lot of colour variation in the borders of both cards, and they're both seemingly miscut. This is often a sign of fakes, but it does happen every now and then and I don't know enough about Neo Genesis or Japanese cards to tell from that alone.

The main thing pointing to its illegitimacy to me is the holofoil pattern -- it seems pretty wierd, and I haven't been able to find any reverse holo images of what the cards are supposed to look like online. From what I can tell, the holofoil of the era was similar to today's galaxy foil and the reverse holo was simply that galaxy foil printed on the rest of the card rather than the art. Since the foil on those cards is very different to anything I've seen online and the quality of the foil and print seems low in general, I'd say it's most likely to be fake.

Another thing I noticed, after I initially wrote this, is that the placements of the weakness/resistance symbols are considerably off for both cards. As well as this, the placement of the Stage 1 text (below HP on the Noctowl) is a fraction high -- compare it to the text on the Hoothoot, and it's more noticeable.

My verdict is that they're fake. I'm not an expert on this era, but that's my judgement here; if someone with more experience wants to contest that, then I'd be glad to hear why.

As for your other question -- if they are fake, there is little to no value to the cards from a collector's point of view. As far as I know, there's no market for fake cards and unless you're selling a bulk lot of them for kids who don't care about their legitimacy, then nobody is going buy them knowing that they're fake.
Thanks for the reply, Yeah i did think they looked a little off but thanks for the confirmation and information! Thank you again!

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer

You can't find them cause reverse holos didn't exist back then. Japan doesn't even do reverse holos outside of special sets, I have no idea what was their first set with reverse holos, but it certainly wasn't before English (our first was Legendary Collection).