Help Is TCG Republic a reliable place to buy Japanese cards?

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Does anyone have any experience buying cards off of TCG Republic? Is this a widely used website?

Asking because I was curious about some of the fairly low prices on the website- in particular, in the “Intense Fight in the Destroyed Sky” set section (which became Stormfront internationally) lists the base set Charmander line reprints as each going for about a quarter of the English price. ($13 for Charmander, $13 for Charmeleon, $102 for Charizard). A lot of the prices in general seem pretty cheap.

Is this because this set was printed a ton in Japan, making them fairly common? Or because of less Base Set nostalgia in general in Japan? Does anyone have a positive/negative experience with using this site?

Thanks for the help!

bbb888

Same user name as my Pokémon YouTube channel
It's funny you bring this up, because just the other day I was actually looking into TCG Republic.
The problem with sites like these is they often use stock images instead of the actual product they have. Also, TCG Republic doesn't seem to specify card condition. Maybe Charizard evo line is cheap because it is heavily played?
I will buy something from TCG Republic and get back to you.

ShinxieDim

bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
Oh wow. So, I decided to order a few cards off of the website to see how it goes.

First thing: I sent a request to them to restock the holo Houndour from Crossing the Ruins/Neo Discovery, and they sent me an email only 6 hours later saying it was back in stock. So, I ordered that and a few other cards.

holy moly, I'm SUPER impressed. The cards aren't near mint condition- they're literally mint. They look like they were just pulled out of the pack, from the 2019 cards to the 2000 cards. Shipping was pretty fast considering the cards were shipped from Japan. The package came with a special surprise too!

The only thing that might be a downside to some people is that you can't choose to buy 1st edition or unlimited, but the cards are gorgeous either way so I'm perfectly okay with that.

I'm ordering more cards tonight. Again, super impressed.

Last edited:

netleyhunter

Aspiring Trainer
I have ordered from TCG Republic I think twice, honestly I can't say enough good things about them. Cards are well protected, in good condition, and if you have any questions they will answer you quickly. I have ordered from other sellers and have been less than impressed.

Number51x

Blasting off at the speed of light!
I ordered a bunch of the special XY set the name of which escapes me and they were great. Everything was packed really well. Like artfully well.

leetic

Aspiring Trainer
I've bought from there when FE Cipher was still a thing. They're definitely reliable, but can be prohibitively expensive.