Discussion Is Right Now the Perfect Time for Shining Genesect?

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
With Gardy on the decline and ZoroPod and BuzzRoc taking the throne how does this deck shape up in the current meta? Genesect's 130 HP is such a wonderful number because ZoroPod isn't nabbing one shots while you set up. Grass gives you a nice opportunity to hit Lycanroc for weakness. In general ability lock seems less popular and item lock doesn't exist. Volcanion EX still seems to be unpopular and a lot of the heavy setup decks aren't really a huge threat (like Metagross and such).

Do you see any big drawbacks to this deck in the pre-Ultra Prism meta? What tech cards should I include?

Also random general rules question, can I use the fullart Pheromosa even though ULP isn't tourny legal yet? I don't own a regart one.

With Gardy on the decline and ZoroPod and BuzzRoc taking the throne how does this deck shape up in the current meta? Genesect's 130 HP is such a wonderful number because ZoroPod isn't nabbing one shots while you set up. Grass gives you a nice opportunity to hit Lycanroc for weakness. In general ability lock seems less popular and item lock doesn't exist. Volcanion EX still seems to be unpopular and a lot of the heavy setup decks aren't really a huge threat (like Metagross and such).

Do you see any big drawbacks to this deck in the pre-Ultra Prism meta? What tech cards should I include?

Also random general rules question, can I use the fullart Pheromosa even though ULP isn't tourny legal yet? I don't own a regart one.

Absolutely not the time for this card, neither will their be one. Metal is gonna break the format, and Fire is gonna be rampant. To be perfectly honest, Grass are gonna be screwed in this format, just because of Metalpocalypse. Metal has a counter, Fire. Then Fire sits there competing with Metal for Top Dog, and Grass types (Such as Shining Genesect) are going to try to sneak in to the top spot, and Fire is just going to be like,

"BEGONE"

Absolutely not the time for this card, neither will their be one. Metal is gonna break the format, and Fire is gonna be rampant. To be perfectly honest, Grass are gonna be screwed in this format, just because of Metalpocalypse. Metal has a counter, Fire. Then Fire sits there competing with Metal for Top Dog, and Grass types (Such as Shining Genesect) are going to try to sneak in to the top spot, and Fire is just going to be like,

"BEGONE"

I'm not talking about ULP format I'm talking about in the few weeks between this current meta and ULP meta.

I'm not talking about ULP format I'm talking about in the few weeks between this current meta and ULP meta.

Still no. You can try to tech Weakness Policy for any Fire matchups but,

Field Blower.

Still no. You can try to tech Weakness Policy for any Fire matchups but,

Field Blower.

Fire is really rare right now. Volc loses pretty hard to BuzzRoc and doesn't do all that well against ZoroPod as long as you keep to Zoroark GX. I don't mean to be combative but I feel like you read the title of my post and not the content.

Fire is really rare right now. Volc loses pretty hard to BuzzRoc and doesn't do all that well against ZoroPod as long as you keep to Zoroark GX. I don't mean to be combative but I feel like you read the title of my post and not the content.

Fine, if that's how you take it, I'll take my distinguished leave, look at some other threads.

Metal isn't gonna break the format, therefore Fire isn't gonna be rampant, but Shining Genesect isn't good either way.
Take a knockout on a early Bulbasaur or a late Venusaur just wins the entire game. KOing a Genesect fully charged (which isn't very difficult due to its low HP) just wins the entire game. Ability locking just wins the entire game.
In short, deck is bad.

I think it's pretty good actually. Not teir 1 or 2, but competitive, and CAN compete with anything when it gets optimal draws.

I have never played this deck so I don’t know but I am assuming abilities are important with it. Abilities are so big right now and buzz/Garb is slowly becoming popular. Not only that I can see other Garbotoxin variants popping up as well. Genesect has a stage 2 support pokemon that requires a decent amount of set up and energy in play to function. If Garbotoxin sees a resurgence I feel like that would be bad news for this deck.

I want to impress upon the people responding here that I am not asking about this decks long term success. Perhaps it will gain some traction post rotation, but in general I'm not denying that this deck has shortcomings.

I'm asking if, in this current climate, like, right now, if Genesect can surprise a meta that really isn't thinking about it.

Back