Discussion Is Night March still a thing?

godhe

Aspiring Trainer
I know that I am late to the party, but I've always wanted to try that deck out and so I did myself a favour and got myself all the "Night Marchers". Is the deck competitively passé or are there still some versions I (and others) could do good with? And if not, do you think it will ever come back?

Vespiquen /Flareon is the better "version" of this deck in the current Expanded meta I think, although without Maxie and Gallade that deck also becomes a lot weaker against Zoroark and Pikarom. Night March at least still has Marshadow for the Pikarom MU, as I don't think they play any sort of ability lock, but it does nothing against Zoroark because of Muk.

The big matchup for Night March to win if it wants to be competitive is Zoroark GX.
In this matchup, you will need to take 2 KO on Zoroark GX and maybe a Tapu Lele GX or a zorua + a stand in Zoroark during the game to win.
So you need 210 damages. You basically run 2 choice band so you have to deal 180 damages. It means that you need 9 night marchers in your discard pile.
But, you run 12 ones. 12/60 cards = 1/5 means that you will prize almost every game 1 Night Marcher. In many games, you will prize 2 or 3.
When it's 3, it's impossible to OHKO Zoroark GX. When it's 2, you will need a float stone (you run 1) or a mew to retreat + rescue stretcher (you run 1 or 2).
All these stats are really inconsistent to synchronize each game (that is important in a bo3).
But you have an answer : Marshadow GX.
Unfortunately, it works with its ability and Zoroark is mainly paired with garbotoxin garbodor and running 2 field blowers (or 1 field blower + faba) really reduces your consistency.
The other Zoroark GX common variants are :
- Zoroark Control : Almost autoloss because of girafarig + faba + Seismitoad
- Zoroark Golisopod : Same problem without weakness for Golisopod GX and it easily OHKO Marshadow GX with a choice band
- Zoroark Muk : Your oranguru is disrupted but it's the easiest variant to face

If any Zoroark deck plays oricorio, it's almost an autoloss as well because you will take a Zoroark GX and they will often take 3 prizes in return (Shaymin + Joltik) or at least 2. And you will have to face a one prize attacker active that you will have either to KO or to guzma around.

The rest of the meta is fine but you have problems dealing with stall decks.

So, in my opinion, Night March is good but succeeding your gameplan consistently every game is too hard right now.

If any Zoroark deck plays oricorio...

I'd expand that to "If any deck runs Oricorio w/Supernatural Dance, it is their game to lose." You can still win but it requires you to play almost flawlessly and have some good luck while your opponent misplays severely, has very bad luck, or some combination of the two. Karen is easier to deal with, in all honesty, though she's a problem if your opponent can spare his or her Supporter for the turn and can then spam VS Seeker.

Night March's ultimate problem is that, while it can run an answer to everything, no build can run an answer to all things. Why does that matter? What made Night March so successful before was that it had no truly bad matchups, just "approximately neutral", favorable, and even a few very favorable. That and the fear factor; otherwise calm, rational players seemed to "lose it" when facing Night March, losing games they ought to have won "...because it's Night March!". (Try reading that last sentence in HISHE or Lego Batman's voice)

I switched over to a version of Night March running only on single Prize Pokémon... but it just isn't enough. The deck really needs Marshadow-GX and wouldn't mind having Shaymin-EX (ROS) and/or Tapu Lele-GX back again. I've been thinking of reviving the Bronzong/Night March variant.

The Bronzong thing sounds interesting. And how do you make the deck run without any 2-Prize Pokémon? I cannot imagine playing it without Shaymin EX.

The Bronzong thing sounds interesting. And how do you make the deck run without any 2-Prize Pokémon? I cannot imagine playing it without Shaymin EX.

I can't find the list handy... the short version is Zebstrika (LOT) and Marshadow (SLG) handle added draw power. I added a 1-1 Machop/Machoke (GRI) line to deal with spread decks and Oricorio. I need to go back and run a "traditional" Night March list for a while, so I can see if it is actually working or not. XP

I don't understand why playing Shaymin EX is a problem.
Parallel city allows you to clear all Shaymin EX on your bench and the setup allowed by Shaymin EX is too strong in the deck not to use in my opinion.

Parallel city allows you to clear all Shaymin EX on your bench and the setup allowed by Shaymin EX is too strong in the deck not to use in my opinion.
Dimension valley is the stadium to use in night march though so can be hard to find a single parallel and more than 4 stadiums is bad for consistency

How do you have room for Parallel City? Anyway, here's my current list straight from the PTCGO. While it did okay at first, its win record right now is quite poor.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 24

* 1 Ditto {*} LOT 154
* 1 Machop GRI 62
* 1 Machoke GRI 64
* 2 Blitzle LOT 81
* 4 Joltik PHF 26
* 2 Zebstrika LOT 82
* 1 Zebstrika BKP 49
* 2 Jirachi TEU 99
* 2 Marshadow SLG 45
* 4 Pumpkaboo PHF 44
* 4 Lampent PHF 42

##Trainer Cards - 32

* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 1 Choice Band GRI 121
* 3 Dimension Valley PHF 93
* 2 Level Ball AOR 76
* 4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Special Charge STS 105
* 2 Escape Board UPR 122
* 1 Faba LOT 208
* 1 Guzma BUS 143
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 1 Professor Juniper BLW 101
* 1 N FCO 105
* 1 Lysandre FLF 104
* 1 Dowsing Machine PLS 128
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109
* 1 Trainers' Mail AOR 100

##Energy - 4

* 4 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

My current list is :

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 3 Shaymin-EX ROS 77
* 1 Mr. Mime BKT 97
* 1 Marshadow-GX BUS 80
* 4 Joltik PHF 26
* 1 Giratina PR-XY 184
* 1 Mew FCO 29
* 4 Pumpkaboo PHF 44
* 1 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 60
* 4 Lampent PHF 42

##Trainer Cards - 36

* 1 Computer Search BCR 137
* 4 Trainers' Mail ROS 92
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 2 Dimension Valley PHF 93
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 1 Colress PLS 135
* 4 Battle Compressor Team Flare Gear PHF 92
* 2 Special Charge STS 105
* 1 Faba LOT 208
* 1 Float Stone PLF 99
* 1 Teammates PRC 160
* 1 Guzma BUS 143
* 1 Field Blower GRI 163
* 1 N NVI 101
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 4 Ultra Ball FCO 113
* 4 VS Seeker PHF 109

##Energy - 4

* 4 Double Colorless Energy EVO 90

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Here are some explanations :
- Giratina is here as a counter tech for greninja / trevenant. In tournament, you will never see greninja but trevenant can be a thing, so you can consider cutting it for more consistency (1 sycamore ?) or another tech.
- Mr mime is here for Tapu koko, Ultra Necrozma, Trevenant, Archie Blastoise, super cool to survive spread damages that doesn't rely on abilities.
- I favorized consistency over tech / recovery by running the 4th trainer's mail and a computer schearch. Dowsing machine is really good too but with 2 rescue stretcher and 2 special charge, I don't think it's the optimal choice here.
- I was running resource management oranguru instead of the second special charge but with faba, you almost autoloss anyway the stall / control matchups.
- I run faba instead of the second field blower because I found it more versatile and because you run 4 battle compressor and 4 vs seeker, it's really to find and use (drawing is allowed with Shaymin EX even without sycamore).
- Colress is here because it's insane against Zoroark, but sycamore is better in any other matchup that doesn't flood the bench.
- I kinda wanted a second guzma, against item lock of control deck with Seismitoad. But the space is lacking.
- Managing Karen is easy if you play smart with this deck. But everything is build to fight oricorio efficiently : The 2 rescue stretcher allows you to recover non Night marchers to reduce oricorio's damages. Mew is here to give free retreat and have more hp than joltik and still being able to attack without dimension valley.
- Marshadow GX + field blower / faba = Zoroark matchup improvement, really useful.
- I considered trying silent lab to counter anti-DCE pokemons but I choosed to remove it because it's not that popular and my primary goal is to beat Zoroark GX.

Btw, I tried a variant of your version and found than zebstrika is not that great because at a point, you will be lacking supporters and all your DCE will be in you hand so it will be rough to discard your hand, sending you in a loosing scenario. It's also a such destructive draw engine to fight oricorio and it's like a "survive easier to Karen" build when it's ok (unlike Vespiquen). I will try your version anyway, I think it's really interesting in terms of deck building.

Last edited:
@Matux

I still wish I could find the article that put me onto running Night March without Pokémon-EX/GX. XP What you're running is pretty close to what I was running before trying the single-Prize build. Part of why I wanted to try that single Prize build is because my Night March decks were slamming into more decks that could otherwise keep up with the Prize trade. Jirachi was something I was experimenting with, as was Machoke. The original contained neither (but included the anti-BREAK Giratina).

There are several specific bits to which I want to respond... and it ended up making for quite the lengthy comment so I'll use a Spoiler box to "hide" it from the uninterested:

- Giratina is here as a counter tech for greninja / trevenant. In tournament, you will never see greninja but trevenant can be a thing, so you can consider cutting it for more consistency (1 sycamore ?) or another tech.
- Mr mime is here for Tapu koko, Ultra Necrozma, Trevenant, Archie Blastoise, super cool to survive spread damages that doesn't rely on abilities.

Both of these are handled by Machoke (GRI); since I was already running Ditto {*} due to Zebstrika, the same space could go to a 1-1 Machoke line versus these two separate Basics... and I'd have protection against Oricorio as well. The difficulty, of course, is getting a TecH Stage 1 line into play with the rest of the single-Prize build's limitations. A reason I want to try it in an otherwise "normal" Night March build.

- I favorized consistency over tech / recovery by running the 4th trainer's mail and a computer schearch. Dowsing machine is really good too but with 2 rescue stretcher and 2 special charge, I don't think it's the optimal choice here.

There is no true "optimal" choice. Computer Search ups your front-end consistency, but Dowsing Machine ups your back-end consistency. If you whiff on your open or even just your early game, you may never reach the late or even mid-game, which is why I think they're equal options. Dowsing Machine helps more, but only if you last long enough to need that spare Dimension Valley or Special Charge or whatever else.

Oh, and just to be clear; I am using "TecH" to mean the following (more or less)
From an old article by 0bsol33t:

TecH

Definition: Technical Advantage
One or two copies of a standalone card placed into your deck to help counter a specific condition.

This is the most-abused phrase I've heard in any TCG - in fact, it's spread from Pokémon to just about every other TCG. It roots from a text known as the InSaNiTy Project, in which a very smart player named Lurili pushed the boundaries of what Pokémon decks could do with Trainers. All of his decks were constructed using a mathematical formula he devised to determine whether or not a card was really helping you as much as it seems. On top of extensive research on his formula, he defined the need to ignore the formula from time to time in order to gain Technical Advantage. With his penchant for capitalizing random letters, the short name of this theory was TecH.

Let's clarify what, exactly, draws the line between TecH and the other concepts. If, while building a deck for Unlimited Format, you had a single opponent with a pesky Clefable Deck, you could "TecH" in a counter-card to any deck in order to give yourself the Technical Advantage.

Clefable is a Colorless Pokémon that can use your Pokémon's attacks against you, no matter how weak or strong your attacks are. The ideal counter is anything that reduces the damage it deals. This is where Sprout Tower enters the picture; it's a Stadium card that, while in play, reduces all damage done by Colorless Pokémon by 30.

If you were running a deck type such as Electric that neither has Weakness or Resistance to Colorless Pokémon, then TecHing in one or two Sprout Towers would be appropriate defense against that single Clefable deck.

just in case we were using it in a different manner.

- I was running resource management oranguru instead of the second special charge but with faba, you almost autoloss anyway the stall / control matchups.

How does running Faba cause you to have an automatic loss to the stall/control matchup? Could you replace Faba with something else that wouldn't hurt you so bad... or did you mean Faba nearly gives you an auto-win against stall/control?

- I run faba instead of the second choice band because I found it more versatile and because you run 4 battle compressor and 4 vs seeker, it's really to find and use (drawing is allowed with Shaymin EX even without sycamore).

A big issue with the single-Prize build is no Marshadow-GX, which means a lower damage cap. If I had the room, there'd be a Choice Band, a Muscle Band, and a Professor Kukui. ;) There isn't, though. :(

- Colress is here because it's insane against Zoroark, but sycamore is better in any other matchup that doesn't flood the bench.

Zoroark-GX doesn't have to flood the Bench against Night March except to take out certain Pokémon-EX/GX. In the list I posted, nothing is big enough to require Sky Field or Devoured Field. I've also had to be careful about filling my own Bench too soon. If space wasn't a factor, Colress or maybe Erika's Kindness would be in here... but with room being lacking it isn't too painful a cut. Now, several games I've longed for a Cynthia...

- I kinda wanted a second guzma, against item lock of control deck with Seismitoad. But the space is lacking.

This got me thinking; as stated, Jirachi isn't as helpful to this deck as I'd have liked. The traditional, proven Night March list (like your own) might be able to add in more Guzma by letting Jirachi replace Trainers' Mail. Though you would also want room for an Escape Board or two. Just a thought.

I also favor running one Guzma, one Lysandre; sometimes changing out your own Active is beneficial, sometimes it's neutral, and sometimes it is a drawback.

- Managing Karen is easy if you play smart with this deck. But everything is build to fight oricorio efficiently : The 2 rescue stretcher allows you to recover non Night marchers to reduce oricorio's damages. Mew is here to give free retreat and have more hp than joltik and still being able to attack without dimension valley.

What you describe is neither easy nor is it playing "smart"... at least not most of the time. Therein lies the rub. How many Night marchers are typically in your discard pile? How many low HP targets are typically in play?

Even with the "regular" Night March builds, this number tends to be relatively high (and it tends to be much worse for the single-Prize build). While Karen and Oricorio are problems because of the dramatic swings they can cause with a single use, that isn't the real danger. They're both spammable even as singles, thanks to Rescue Stretcher and VS Seeker, respectively. They can be dropped seemingly from nowhere as they are relatively easy to search out. Oricorio may not even need any Energy, as the Night March player often has Dimension Valley in play.

To give you an idea, its a bit like an Ability reliant deck having to face off against a TecH copy of the now banned Hex Maniac. ^^'

- Marshadow GX + field blower / faba = Zoroark matchup improvement, really useful.

Yes, a sound play for almost every Night March deck except the single-Prize variant. I have no equivalent play and it hurts!

- I considered trying silent lab to counter anti-DCE pokemons but I choosed to remove it because it's not that popular and my primary goal is to beat Zoroark GX.

That isn't the metagame I was slamming into, but the PTCGO is neither the same as League nor tournament play in that regard.

Btw, I tried a variant of your version and found than zebstrika is not that great because at a point, you will be lacking supporters and all your DCE will be in you hand so it will be rough to discard your hand, sending you in a loosing scenario.

It does change how the deck plays, and too often I was forced to discard something I'd rather have kept.

I'd wish you "good luck!" for when you try the list, but that would skew results. ;)

I'm not saying that your build is bad or anything like that. It's different. But, I think Night March is a basic pokemon based deck that needs to win with aggression and prize trade. And, your all entire build goal (giving only 1 prize card/KO) can be done in a classic build with the inclusion of 1 parallel city (that you have 2 outs to find with computer search, so theoretically, if you draw 30 cards turn 1, that is not difficult thanks to Shaymin EX, you will be able to get your copy of it if you really want). On the other part, your build is affecting consistency so ... And jirachi is another target for oricorio ...

I will answer few points in a spoiler :
-> Giratina is an anti-item lock against giratina and combined with Mr mime, it's more powerfull in the trevenant matchup. Same for greninja in some way.
-> Giratina and Mr mime are efficient since turn 1 when Machoke is not. It's definitely more consistent.
-> I run faba instead of the second field blower. My bad, I didn't write the right word. Sorry about that :C
-> When I was talking about Faba in control matchup, I was thinking "the faba copies in your opponent deck". The gameplan against Night March for a Stall deck is either decking out or sending your 4 DCE in the Lost zone.
-> I was previously playing 1/1 Lysandre/Guzma but with the inclusion of Mew, you almost have every turn a free retreat pokemon.
-> Colress is a "meh" point of the deck. Honestly, when it's good it's really good but sycamore is always reliable. With the non EX build, your bench being less big, Colress is very bad I think.

Thanks for your point of view. If you find the link, I would be really interested by this article btw :D

I guess the short answer is "Yes, Night March is still a thing" : http://limitlesstcg.com/decks/?list=2185

The interesting inclusion is Electropower that helps to reach 210 damages in the Zoroark GX matchup and more in Tag team GX matchups.
I'm not convinced by order pad tho.

You're right, but do you agree that it's possible that NM's is going down the tier list further in the future?:

Come May, Silent Lab + Honchkrow-GX(a sidekick to G&Z TTGX metadecks that is a Giratina-EX's Chaos Wheel on steroids(by ability, not attack)) + Red's Challenge looks to become the next Night March Achilles' heel... But only testing will answer its impact on NM for sure. Here are the reasons that make it look like NM's AH:

1. Attacks that trigger such locks are doable w/ NM, but Abilities that trigger the same? Escape Rope becomes a must-have for NM in that case in order to even be permitted to attach Special Energy, Dimension Valleys, or even Tools, while the ability-wielder is in the active spot...

2. And 30 HP Joltiks? Feather Storm will say "bye-bye" to two of them per turn, as well as 90 damage to Active, enough to KO 90 HP Metal Links Bronzong...

3. Since Silent Lab has the same effect as the ability of Alolan Muk SMB, but without the Psychic weakness due to it being a Stadium instead of a Pokemon, Shaymin-EX ROS? Tapu Lele-GX? Mr. Mime BKT? Abilities not only shut down by the Silent Lab, as the aforementioned Pokemon are Basics, but the NM player could be forced to Rope/Lysandre/Guzma around in order to play their Dimension Valley to kick the Lab out AND be able to use their Shaymin-EX's Ability, be able to Marshadow-GX to copy NM, AND/OR be able to stop Feather Storm damage spread by the power of the ability of Mr. Mime BKT!

Here is a translation, in case you're curious about this future card, as at this point, it was translated by unofficial means, so it would be not prudent to not include its text below, in case the reader thinks "not official yet? I don't know what you're smoking: May you give me the text in English for reference purposes?":

Honchkrow-GX – Darkness – HP210
Stage 1 – Evolves from Murkrow

Ability: Ruler of the Night
As long as this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, your opponent can’t play any Pokemon Tool, Special Energy, or Stadium cards from their hand during their next turn.

[D][C][C] Feather Storm: 90 damage. This attack does 30 damage to 2 of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon-GX or Pokemon-EX. (Don’t apply Weakness and Resistance for Benched Pokemon.)

[C][C] Unfair GX: Your opponent reveals their hand. Discard 2 cards from it. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack in a game).

When your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.

Weakness: Lightning (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 2

^ What do you think the actual impact on NM will be from the above? Do you think NM is still a thing even if the aforementioned looks scary to it?

Last edited:
It will be hard to adapt I think.
It will hurt Zoroark as well but garbodor is here for the deck so I guess one of the idea that needs to to be considered is playing a more control version of Night March with garb.
But it feels kinda bad ...

We'll see

It will be hard to adapt I think.
It will hurt Zoroark as well but garbodor is here for the deck so I guess one of the idea that needs to to be considered is playing a more control version of Night March with garb.
But it feels kinda bad ...

We'll see

What about going back to Bronzong/Night March? I was thinking about it but got sidetracked, so I still haven't gotten around to it.

I was also thinking to reproduce the energy acceleration of Tapu koko prism star / Thunder mountain in it. Battle compressor also allows to send energies in the discard pile. Eelectrik is also a thing... An idea to try in the futur maybe.

I brought up Bronzong specifically because you can still strive for a OHKO when going second; the new Bronzor (SM - Team Up 100/181) can immediately Evolve via its Ability.

Ability: Evolutionary Advantage
If you go second, this Pokémon can evolve during your first turn.
You also have the option of running a TecH Bronzong (XY - Fates Collide 61/124) alongside three Bronzong (XY - Phantom Forces 61/119; XY - Black Star Promos XY21) to protect your Bench from slightly more than either Mr. Mime w/Bench Barrier. In either case, these forms of Energy acceleration will come at the cost of some of the deck's reliability, but will also open the road for other aternate attackers and possibly reduce the deck's dependence on Dimension Valley. Bronzong BREAK might be another decent bit of TecH; it provides an Evolved, non-EX/GX attacker that can hit the Bench.

Night March/Bronzong was a thing for a time, and I did begin an attempt at modernizing it. I just gave up when I struggled to fit everything into the deck. XP

Back