News Is Mew VMAX Going to Die?

Jaxolotl

The Mashup King. https://www.youtube.com/@Jaxolotl
So the Spiritomb from Snow Hazard has been revealed and it will probably scare a few Mew VMAX deck players. Screenshot 2023-04-19 11.50.00 AM.png
This card will most likely be featured in the English set "Scarlet & Violet: Paldea Evolved" set in June. The ability this Pokemon has is definitely a nightmare for any Mew deck, because unlike most ability blockers, Spiritomb doesn't have to be in the active spot for it to shut down all abilities. While it does come with a downside of your Basic V's not having abilities, it basically becomes irrelevant, because this card could easily be put into any deck that doesn't run strictly off of Basic V's abilities (ex. Gardevoir ex, Miriadon ex, Giratina VSTAR, etc).

Again this card COMPLETELY makes all Mew VMAX decks weak because it shuts down all Genesect V draws. And the worst part is, you can't use Forest Seal Stone on any Genesect V's or Mew V's because that counts as an ability too. Because this card is a card I see many people running as a benched strictly, the only way to Boss's Orders it up is to use a Forest Seal Stone on Mew VMAX (which eliminates any extra damage from Choice Belt) to search it up, or to get lucky and have the card in your hand . BUT!!! This is assuming your opponent only has 1 of them in play. Like Klefki, this would also be another card people would run multiple of to trap you. KO one, another one comes out, you are back where you started.

In conclusion, if you run Mew VMAX, start working on another deck, because this card is going to be the death of Mew VMAX. I recommend things like Lost Box, Miriadon EX, or Gardevoir EX. Or you could go with something else, just DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MAKE A DECK THAT RUNS OFF OF BASIC POKEMON V ABILITIES!!! It will NOT work.

And the worst part is, you can't use Forest Seal Stone on any Genesect V's or Mew V's because that counts as an ability too.

This is incorrect: https://compendium.pokegym.net/ruling/1795/

Q: Can I use Forest Seal Stone's "Star Alchemy" Ability if Path to the Peak is in play?
A: Yes, you can. It's not an Ability the Pokemon has, but it's an Ability the Pokemon has access to.
Source: TPCi Rules Team (2022-11-10)

Anyway, this won't kill Mew completely but Spiritomb is definitely a nuisance. It notably shuts off Lumineon V and other accelerating Pokemon like Raikou V, Leafeon V, and Zacian V CEL, so that should guarantee its inclusion as a one-of in at least some decks.

This is incorrect: https://compendium.pokegym.net/ruling/1795/

Anyway, this won't kill Mew completely but Spiritomb is definitely a nuisance. It notably shuts off Lumineon V and other accelerating Pokemon like Raikou V, Leafeon V, and Zacian V CEL, so that should guarantee its inclusion as a one-of in at least some decks.
Hmmmmall the guys at my shop have pulled up articles that say otherwise

The Compendium is a collection of official rulings. Whatever articles have been saying otherwise are wrong.

Back