Is it worth getting cards PSA graded?

festizzio

Desu
I have some old 1st Ed. that I want to get graded, but is it really worth it? According to their site, it's $15 per card.

Reshiwott

epic gamer moment
It's worth it if they are EXTREMELY Good condition, and you estimate an 8,9, or 10. If not, I wouldn't.
But having a high grade (Numbers mentioned above.) DRAMATICALLY Increases It's value.

redterror117

Dragon Tamer
I've been told that it tends to raise the value of a card threefold, but it can also be an expensive process (I think about $30 a card or something like that when I last checked). I've wanted to get my Shadowless Charizard graded for awhile, but I dont have the money to throw around.

I the end it's all up to you though, and what you plan on doing with the card.

Daelum

Climbing the stairs to the top
A card is only worth grading if you can tell that it will get an 8 or above. Otherwise, there's really no point as it would be officially below NM, and who wants that? :p

If you sell a PSA Graded card (with a grade of 8 or above), the value increase depends on the card. Generally speaking, though, the value tends to double or triple (and sometimes even more than that!) when graded. An example would be a Shining Noctowl is normally worth like $15, but when PSA 10 graded, it's worth like $150. On the other side of that, a Gallade G Lv. X is worth about $7, but when PSA 10 graded, it's worth like $20 (if anyone would even buy it).

PokePhD

PokéBeach Verified Seller
Getting cards PSA graded is very situational.

I would only suggest sending in cards that you are 100% sure will receive an 8, 9, or 10. On top of that, don't just send in any card because the grading process is expensive. The regular price is $15/card and you need to pay for shipping both ways. That's easily another $30. Personally, I only send in cards that are old, expensive, and Mint condition or better. I usually only send in cards that I believe will receive a 10; however, on rare occasion I may send in an extremely expensive card if I believe it will get at least a 9. That doesn't mean it will, but that's how I judge whether or not it is worth it. Graded cards can be VERY valuable depending on its age and rarity. Even newer cards can be worth grading but they usually don't gain too much value immediately after the process.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to shoot me a PM as I am a member of the PSA club.

Daelum

Climbing the stairs to the top
SoulWind said:
Getting cards PSA graded is very situational.

I would only suggest sending in cards that you are 100% sure will receive an 8, 9, or 10. On top of that, don't just send in any card because the grading process is expensive. The regular price is $15/card and you need to pay for shipping both ways. That's easily another $30. Personally, I only send in cards that are old, expensive, and Mint condition or better. I usually only send in cards that I believe will receive a 10; however, on rare occasion I may send in an extremely expensive card if I believe it will get at least a 9. That doesn't mean it will, but that's how I judge whether or not it is worth it. Graded cards can be VERY valuable depending on its age and rarity. Even newer cards can be worth grading but they usually don't gain too much value immediately after the process.

As for the age of the cards, the newest cards you should be getting graded (if they are English set released cards) are Gold Star cards. There are very few, if any at all, new cards that will be worth grading (if you have intentions to resell).
Promo cards can be worth grading, but they depend more on the rarity than the age. For example, some of the first black star promo cards would be a complete waste to have graded (as there are a ton), but the 2012 1st Place Trophy card would definitely be worth grading (as there are less than 10).

festizzio

Desu
I have some old 1st Ed. Shinings from Neo Destiny, I haven't checked their conditions in a while, but I've kept them in a binder for a long time now, and they were mint last time I checked. If it really increases the resale the value that much, I think I'll try getting them graded. Thanks for your input. :)

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
So the major points are:

1) Card as some value
2) Card is in 9, or 10 condition
3) You are looking to sell it