Discussion Is Golem EX playable?

TheLunaticHypno

Just your average Hypno fan
Golem EX was a card released in a Japanese theme deck and has been squeezed into Generations. It does 80 damage for 2 fighting and one colorless energy. The main attraction of the event is his second attack that does 180 for 3 fighting and 1 colorless and 60 to itself. With cards like Landorus and max elixir will this see any play? Not to mention protection cube and all of the endless fighting support and more to come.

Golem-EX – Fighting – 180 HP
Basic

[F][F][C] Boulder Crush: 80 damage.

[F][F][F][C] Megaton Fall: 180 damage. This Pokémon does 60 damage to itself.

Weakness: Grass ×2
Resistance: none
Retreat Cost: 4

I see something with him being an alternate attacker in a garchomp deck. Especially since you can power him up pretty effortlessly that way.

Why play Golem EX when you can play Primal Groudon EX and do 20 more damage for the same attack cost without doing 60 damage to yourself. And because you don't have to play Protection Cube, you can play Focus Sash and force your opponent to 2HKO Groudon.

Also, Lucario-EX is a lot better of an attacker than Golem. It sets you up, and does high amounts of damage for low energy.

Golem EX is a less suitable Fighting type attacker. It requires too much to be playable, and is incredibly lack luster overall. More in part due to the fact it damages itself, and make focus sash unusable, and puts it into OHKO range for a lot of the quick attackers in format.

The short answer is "nope."

The long answer is "absolutely not."

Three for 80 is mediocre, especially when Lucario-EX is around, and four for 180 is good but the 60 damage is horrendous. Pull this card and put it straight into the binder.

Golem EX was a card released in a Japanese theme deck and has been squeezed into Generations. It does 80 damage for 2 fighting and one colorless energy. The main attraction of the event is his second attack that does 180 for 3 fighting and 1 colorless and 60 to itself. With cards like Landorus and max elixir will this see any play? Not to mention protection cube and all of the endless fighting support and more to come.

Golem-EX – Fighting – 180 HP
Basic

[F][F][C] Boulder Crush: 80 damage.

[F][F][F][C] Megaton Fall: 180 damage. This Pokémon does 60 damage to itself.

Weakness: Grass ×2
Resistance: none
Retreat Cost: 4

Carbink BREAK + Garchomp + Battle Compressor + Maxie + Strong Energy + Golem EX.

Carbink BREAK + Garchomp + Battle Compressor + Maxie + Strong Energy + Golem EX.
Why include Golem EX? You have a top tier deck in just Garchomp / Battle Compressor / Maxie why include an EX and make your prize trade worse off?

Why include Golem EX? You have a top tier deck in just Garchomp / Battle Compressor / Maxie why include an EX and make your prize trade worse off?
Yeah, Garchomp can easily reach 180 or more for 1HKO even Megas with Strong Energy, Fighting Stadium and Regirock-EX and still can attach Focus Sash to avoid being 1HKO. Garchomp is amazing fighting attacker, in a fightning deck, most of times better than Gallade BKT. On the other hand, Golem-EX is terrible. Carbink BREAK can fit as 2-2 line to fully power up a Garchomp with 2 Strong Energy, but most of time it won't be necessary. Hawlucha FF fits perfect well with Garchomp, especially against Toad.

Yeah, golem is kind of pointless. But your gonna need at least something besides four Garchomps. How about Lucario EX?

Yeah, golem is kind of pointless. But your gonna need at least something besides four Garchomps. How about Lucario EX?
I've seen a lot of builds running hawlucha or lucario. I'm understand that hawlucha is a good card, but if you are going against a non ex deck, you are prone to losing, because you don't have anything besides things to ko exes.

I've seen a lot of builds running hawlucha or lucario. I'm understand that hawlucha is a good card, but if you are going against a non ex deck, you are prone to losing, because you don't have anything besides things to ko exes.
Thats what Lucario EX is for. =P It hits hard quickly, and for two energy it adds the hand stability of a Shaymin EX, while still hitting really hard.

You can make Golem-EX work, as people have suggested, however for the same amount of effort you can do much more with other attackers.

Lucario-EX and the new Zygarde-EX will render Golem-EX insignificant.

golem ex is very good in my personal option i think he is playable if u can't afford lucario ex to put into a garchop, marwake break, or medicham deck as 4 zygarde ex he will have a deck built around him i don't see him being a back up attacker like lucario ex

The main reason IMO this thing isn't playable is Night March and Vespiquen, they just eat this thing alive.

Kinda boring and not my style of playing the TCG but I guess it's playable. It's got nothing at all special about it. Just another junk ex in my opinion. It's first attack just damages while its second one hinders itself in addition. Why play this card when you'd constantly be needing to heal it with much stronger exs out there and with a limited amount of cards to heal you, this card just... doesn't seem playable.
RATING: 3/10
Pretty bad (Vaporeon ex is the worst)...

Thanks to everyone who replied! I'm sorta confused why no one mentioned protection cube. Is it out of format? I'm pretty sure it was flashfire, but ive been wrong before. I'm not saying it's good enough to build a deck around, just maybe a 1 or 2 of in a Lucario EX deck or a Zygarde EX deck in the future.

Thanks to everyone who replied! I'm sorta confused why no one mentioned protection cube. Is it out of format? I'm pretty sure it was flashfire, but ive been wrong before. I'm not saying it's good enough to build a deck around, just maybe a 1 or 2 of in a Lucario EX deck or a Zygarde EX deck in the future.
Protection Cube IS still in format, but with the way decks are currently being built there is just no room for the luxury of a tool card of its type. I would rather play a tool that lets me do more damage, or get more health, or prevent KO's via Focus Sash. Plus the Energy cost is too high, when you can do the same or similar damage with less, while also not compromising the consistency of the fighting deck by throwing in Protection Cube.

Back