Discussion Is Gardevoir GX Still Good in the Meta?

T2 Gardy:

I am helping my son prepare for Sheffield Regionals and working on setting up as best as possible. This means using a strategy that would, on average, give the best set up (as per comments above).

In some games my son has Cynthia'd when having Rare Candy or Gardy in hand.
I assume that, probability-wise, it is best to 'keep' the card in hand (and try to get the combo next turn) rather than trying to draw the Gardy combo on that turn by using Cynthia/N? Maybe getting T2 Kirlia as well if poss, to help a T3 Gardy.

Ideally it would mean drawing the two cards on the turn, or UB/Gardy and UB/Lele/Skyla/Rare Candy. Lele would probably have been used T1 for Brigette, so there are probably (max) 5 outs to Gardy/Gallade and 5 to Skyla/Rare Candy.

Thanks.

Hey @osmyth!

I'm pretty sure that I understand your question, but if my answer doesn't make any sense in this context, just let me know so I can revise it. I think your asking whether or not you should Cynthia on turn two (the turn you can evolve) if you have either (not both) of the Rare Candy combo in hand and wait to draw into next turn. As long as this is the actually question, I believe it would be better to Cynthia to try and either redraw into the combo or draw into a Kirlia since you have less chance of drawing into one card off of the top of your deck then reshuffling for six. Anyways, if you have either Talonflame or Alolan Vulpix in play, you should be able to search out the pieces you need to pull off the combo. Honestly though, it really depends on what the rest of your hand is and whether or not your able to handle a turn without Gardevoir GX. It would probably be best to use Cynthia most of the time, as long as your able to use Talonflame or Alolan Vulpix. This is also a matter of testing each situation. I suggest you have your son play a few games where you put him in this situation and try both options to see which one is better. Also, keep in mind that each scenario is different, but general tactics are able to at least give your son an idea of what to do in each situation.

Anyways, let me know if you have any other questions or if my answer doesn't make sense and I'd be happy to help out!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

@FrostBiter12
Thanks, that is the question, however I was forgetting that a Talonflame/Vulpix attack is the best setup!

So,
T2 (First) or T1 (Second), with Talonflame - energy on Talonflame (if not done before), try to get/draw Rare Candy/Gardy. Attack to get RC/Gardy, or other missing pieces.
T2 (First) or T1 (Second), with Vulpix - try to get/draw RC/Gardy else try to get/draw 1/2 RC. Attack to get 2 Gardy or other missing pokemon.
T2 (First) or T1 (Second), with other starter - try to get/draw RC/Gardy.

Obviously, ideally Brigette on T1 (First) and first thing T1 (Second).

@FrostBiter12
Hi, I have tried playing with this deck and have found it extremely hard to setup if I don't get talonflame at the start of the game, any advice on how to deal with these situations?

@FrostBiter12
Hi, I have tried playing with this deck and have found it extremely hard to setup if I don't get talonflame at the start of the game, any advice on how to deal with these situations?

Starting with Vulpix is second choice.
Or if you start with anything else, say Ralts, then Brigette/UB for Vulpix, energy on Ralts, and retreat for Vulpix.
Then Skyla, or draw, for Rare Candy and Beacon attack for Gardy or whatever is required.

Agreed, though, that it can be difficult, particularly if you don't start with Talonflame AND can't find T1 Brigette.

@FrostBiter12

Hey @Ampharos142!

I agree with @osmyth, Alolan Vulpix is your alternate way of setting up when you don't start with Talonflame. Sometimes, you need to discern whether or not you should use Alolan Vulpix though. For instance, if your playing against Buzzwole-GX, you would probably want to grab another Ralts instead just because you tend to run out of attackers very quickly. Of course, that is for you to decide, but Alolan Vulpix is there just for those cases where you don't start with Talonflame (just keep this in mind).

If you have any more questions, feel free to let me know!

Hope this helps!
~FrostBiter12

I still take the slower approach and use 1-1 diancie/vulpix and 1 mr mime. Solid but nothing more than 50/50 over buzz/mally/zororoc.

@FrostBiter12

My son managed to finish 25th (out of 87) at Sheffield Junior Regionals, playing Gardy/Talonflame. If he’d won his last game (of 7) he would have finished about 12th.

I think he did really well considering he hardly practises, just attends the odd Challenge or Cup, and all the top players seemed a year older.

He finished on 4-3-0 and had the best record of the 12-pointers, beating 2 of them and losing to one.

For round 4 he was on table 2 against the eventual ‘winner’ of Swiss (2nd on the Europe CP leaderboard) and lost 2-1. He also managed to finish 2 places behind 1st on the UK CP leaderboard and ahead of 3rd and 5th on the leaderboard. Appreciate the leaderboard can be more a record of events attended (particularly for Junior Cups with low attendance in the UK), but thought that was good.

A very long day but enjoyable!

@FrostBiter12

My son managed to finish 25th (out of 87) at Sheffield Junior Regionals, playing Gardy/Talonflame. If he’d won his last game (of 7) he would have finished about 12th.

I think he did really well considering he hardly practises, just attends the odd Challenge or Cup, and all the top players seemed a year older.

He finished on 4-3-0 and had the best record of the 12-pointers, beating 2 of them and losing to one.

For round 4 he was on table 2 against the eventual ‘winner’ of Swiss (2nd on the Europe CP leaderboard) and lost 2-1. He also managed to finish 2 places behind 1st on the UK CP leaderboard and ahead of 3rd and 5th on the leaderboard. Appreciate the leaderboard can be more a record of events attended (particularly for Junior Cups with low attendance in the UK), but thought that was good.

A very long day but enjoyable!

Hey @osmyth!

Congratulations! I'm glad that Gardevoir GX/Talonflame proved useful to your son and I'm impressed that he placed so well considering this is one of his first major events (not to mention placing above/near some of the top-tier Juniors in Europe)! Gardevoir GX/Talonflame is a hard deck to piolet and it seems your son has managed to do so to a positive degree, so a round of applause to him (and to you for teaching him)! Anyways, if you need anything else or if you (or your son) have any more questions, feel free to let me know!

Thanks!
~FrostBiter12

Back