Is Garbodor Hitting the Trash Heap?

My Little Keldeo

Submarine Reflection!
Advanced Member
At least in my area, I've noticed a decline in decks featuring Garbodor with the release of Phantom Forces, and even somewhat before (PHF isn't legal yet, but many people have been testing new decks).

As you should be aware, Garbodor (DRX/PLF/LTR)'s Ability Garbotoxin shuts off all over Abilities so long as Garbodor has a tool attached. The card has certainly seen play since it first attpeared in Dragons Exalted. It got especially popular as the 2013 season wrapped up, when Plasma Freeze introduced Float Stone, a tool that has great synergy with Garbodor. As the 2014 season kicked off, Darkrai / Garbodor had already existed as a pairing, but grew in popularity. When XY was released, Yveltal took Dark decks to even greater heights. Yveltal / Garbodor quickly became ubiquitous, and reached the peak of popularity as the 2014 season closed.

At the same time, Big Basics / Garbodor has also existed in some form, thanks to the synergy between Landorus-EX and Mewtwo-EX. Other techs, including Tornadus-EX (NXD/ LTR), Raichu (XY) , and Druddigon (FLF) have been peppered into this deck over the years, but it was generally regarded as rogue until Brandon Salazar piloted it to victory at the 2014 US National Championships.

With how ubiquitous Garbodor has been during the past season, I find it interesting that many players are abandoing such a powerful card. Have you also noticed a decline in Garbodor in your area? I think it can be in part attributed to the introduction of Xerosic to the format, which allows a player to shut off an opposing Garbotoxin even when under item lock. The Team Flare Hyper Gear can also be blamed, as Garbodor is typically partnered with Pokemon-EX, like Yveltal, Mewtwo and Landorus. Even Dark players are looking to other cards, such as Hydreigon/ Shadow Circle/ Max Potion (I've seen so many people in my area try this) to combat M-Manectric-EX. Phantom Forces also introduced Wobuffet, which isn't a substitute for Garbotoxin, but allows decks like Donphan and Gengar to accomplish a similar effect, though it won't stop a pesky Dusknoir (BCR)'s shenanigans.

Still, I can't see Garbodor decks dying off completely. The synergy with Seismioad-EX is just too good, especially with Enhanced Hammer back in the format, Xerosic, and the Hyper Gear. This could make for a particularly nasty lockdown deck. Some Fighting Varients also play it.

I think this is a particularly interesting observation, as it opens the door for more Ability-based decks, and allows already existing decks like VirGen and Aromatisse to expand their horizons. I would not expect Garbodor to stop seeing competitive play entirely until it rotates, but seeing less of it will result in a more open metagame.

It hasn't seen a big drop off. I see it plenty in league challenges and will probably see it in cities. Right now in testing everyone is testing the PhF set so you won't see it until cities comes up for you. Believe me Garb isn't dead.

I dont think Garbador is going to die off. I think people are just trying to play the new cards right now to see what works well with certain cards. I currently have a few decks that run garbador that I will continue to play. I havent been to my league for a while but I belive my decks with garbador will still work rather well.

I think the Garbodor decks that we'll be seeing at cities will be different from what has been considered conventional until now. We can examine what's being played at current LCs, but since Phantom Forces isn't legal yet, the metagame has yet to shift. As I said prevoisly, I don't think Garbodor will ever die off completely (until it rotates), as there's so many things that work well with it, but the manner it which it will be played won't be the same as it was in the past. The big change is that many of the cards Garbodor has been classically paired with could become easier to counter. Only time will tell though.

There are just so many decks that reley on abilities where garbador is just a good card to play. I am also playing new decks like hydreigon and bronzong that are based on there abilities. So I am slowly fading away from garbador.

I haven't seen a decline in Garbodor either, and I don't expect to. As others have said, you can't really judge how popular decks are until the tournaments start rolling in. Seismitoad/Garbodor gets tons of new Tools to work with, including Head Ringer and Enhanced Hammer. And Seismitoad/Garbodor can't be affected by either of those annoying cards while you're using Quaking Punch. The use of Yveltal in these decks may die down with the release of Mega Manectric, but I think it will still be a prevalent deck in the metagame. Even Fighting/Garbodor decks are somewhat popular, as the previously mentioned Mega Manectric has a hard time dealing with the Pokemon in this deck.

It's pretty much as simple as this:
Seis/Garb is good and will be prevalent
Anything else/Garb will not

This is my personal observation of this format and I expect the better players to reflect this. Fighting Garb was decent but Donphan was a strictly better (and much less expensive) alternative. It gets even better with the release of Flare Tools and Mega Manectric, both of whose popularity benefits donphan. Also Fighting Stadium is (getting) errata'd for anyone who doesn't yet know.

Yveltal/Garb is weak now and it's only good matchup is Seis (and Donphan, depending on some variables), and it cannot fit Manectric EX.

My Little Keldeo said:
At least in my area, I've noticed a decline in decks featuring Garbodor with the release of Phantom Forces, and even somewhat before (PHF isn't legal yet, but many people have been testing new decks).
I believe we are just in that "cycle" that many players go through just before a new card set becomes tournament-legal. Players are currently "excited" about the new PhF cards and are play-testing different PhF based decks. In addition, during this League Challenge time period, some players even "experiment" more by running different decks (I do in order to better prepare myself for defeating them during the upcoming City Championship season).

But, by the time the City tournaments starts, players will definitiely get more serious again and will revert to their "tried and true" decks perhaps - which still would potentially include Garbodor decks. In addition, given all the arguably "top" decks that are dependent upon their respective Poké Abilities, I do expect Garbodor to still be strongly represented at those tournaments.

You mentioned that Garbodor with Yveltal reached it's peak towards the end of the 2014 season, which was also when Pyroar was one of the biggest threats. I'd say that if Garbodor decks are slightly fading for any reason, it's because Pyroar is really not the big anymore. Garbodor should jump back because of Bronzong and the occasional MewEX/ManectricEX or Night March decks. There will be the people playing Yveltal/Garbodor to shut off Ability decks, then the people who do some metagaming and play Manectric variants because they expect tons of Yveltal again.

Garbodor will remain a threat for as long as it is in the meta, just like good old Muk from Fossil/LC did.

I think people are just trying new stuff, and others are realizing Garbodor also hurts them and their strategies. I rather use Wobbuffet but that's because I use Gengar/ Trevenant with float stones.

I'm planning running on Garbodor for cities, but hopefully I can use them against abilities heavy deck.

Garbador's still annoying and I don't sense a decline, but I can report back after I play my tournament in January (if I get to go).

Bump!

Is this proving to be a real thing? It seems like a lot less Garbador is being played at the moment. With Pyroar on the decline, it seems like people are less worried about abilities. People who use Toad are going for other partners, like Slurpuff. I am not sure but it seems like some people have switched from Yveltal/Toad to straight Yveltal.

Thoughts?

There's also the Landorus/Hawlucha/Crobat deck that seems to be doing good in cities (at least according to pooka). This is a good thing because the format was getting boring with Garbodor/Powerful EX being 90% of the decks.

Back