Tournament Is Doggos the play for Dallas?

gumball51321

*thumbs up*
Hi ho! I was originally planning on playing Turtles or Trev for Dallas, but there are problems both decks have, and for once, I want to make a meta call and play it. 90% of Dallas will be some sort of Zoroark variant, so most people are either playing it, because it is arguably BDIF, or playing something that beats it, in which Zoro/Lycanroc does both. However, I'm concerned about other checks, such as other fighting types, and anything else that beats Zoroark. Because at the end of the day, it IS a Zoroark deck. But Lycanroc makes Sudowoodo, the biggest counter, not a problem. Landorus/Buzzwole box is a problem, since they OHKO Zorua with nothing but a single Energy attachment, and with Focus Sash on their side of the field, we can't OHKO them. If I play Seismitoad, Oricorio, or Koko, this is no problem, but those cards take up space. I've concluded that Oricorio is best here because it's already played as a Night March counter, and better than Karen, because it takes benchspace to power up Riotous Beating in other matchups. It also breaks Focus Sash and resists fighting. But most of all, I'm scared of Lycanroc and Trevenant. "If you're so scared of Trevenant, why aren't you playing it?" To put it simply, the deck has its problems and bad matchup s that I don't want to deal with. It's an anti-meta (Zoroark) call right now, and if Zoroark draws and KOs faster than you, it's not fun. Acerola can also cause some problems against Trees, and don't get me started on big basics. I think I'm jumping on the bandwagon at the same time Everybody's getting off. I might play some anti-meta shenanigans myself, mostly think in terms of Lycanroc, but again, not sure yet. Toad/Lycanroc looks like a decent pick if I test with it, but it sacrifices the power and consistency of Zoroark for item lock. Just having some last minute jitters.

Of the two decks you mentioned on bringing (Turbo Turtles and Trevenant), I’d definitely lean towards Trevenant. As much as I HATE running Trevenant, despite being a hard-up control player, I’d suck it up for 12 hours and run it over Turtles any day of the week in this meta. Given, Trevenant pulls about 40%-50% success against Zoroark builds.

90% Zoroark is a stretch. You’re looking at about 45-50% of the field being Zoroark variants. Throw in Night March and that percentage goes up to around 60%.

Your day 1 will be somewhere along the lines of 5-7 Zoroark variants, 1-2 Night March, 1-2 anything other than Zoroark and Night March (Trev, Wailord, rogue, etc).

If you are going to play anti-meta, it better have a great matchup against Zoroark. Otherwise, you’re going to have a bad time. And have a Night March tech for good measure.

Buzzwole-Landorus isn’t going to be played in high numbers. Given, it and other fighting variants are tailor-made to tackle Zoroark and Night March to a degree, but they are slower (and not nearly as consistent) and struggle against other decks.

If I were to go to the Dallas tournament, there are only 2 decks I'd consider: Landorus EX (50%), (interestingly enough, I'd still consider Volcanion-Turtonator too (30%)) and Trevenant (20%). I've piloted my Landorus EX (and Friends) deck, off and on, for years and still find it formidable in the Expanded format. Similarly, my updated Trevenant deck is also fun to play. @gumball51321 - let's discuss lists' details either here (via PM) or on TCGOne.

Done some testing this week, and gardie with toad/karen is realy good. Iplay 2 gallades to one shot all the zoroark decks, + Premonition is an out to find a supporter.

Back