Into the Void-Farewell to XY

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
2rgfi87.jpg

With ORAS upon us, the metagame is about to change. To close the XY era, I decided to make two RMTs, one on OU, and one on Ubers. This is the Ubers RMT, Into the Void. Dedicated to those few girls that remind me I'm human deep inside. Thank you.
This team was made with the sole purpose of tackling the Ubers suspect test ladder for Shadow Tag. As such, it also uses Shadow Tag in the form of its ace wielder, Mega Gengar. It takes advantage of Gengar's trapping skills and its combination with the rest of the team to clean house for the main sweeper, E-Killer Arceus. A team typical of me, built for offense. We're talking Ubers here. Power is everything. The team allowed me to make reqs for the tournament, granting me a 61-31 W/L record. Climb aboard and hang on tight. We're diving into the void.

gengar-mega.gif
yveltal.gif
arceus.gif
zekrom.gif
deoxys-speed.gif
kyogre.gif

The team's main purpose is an E-Killer sweep. Gengar is the most important asset here, since it can trap and KO many counters of Arceus. Yveltal aids in the task by defeating Giratina, which can't be trapped, as well as U-Turning for Gengar to come in. Zekrom also takes care of faster threats by revenge killing them, and can also Volt Switch into Gengar. Kyogre supports the team by tanking special hits and spreading paralysis via Thunder Wave, while Deoxys sets hazards and removes items.

2zi0xlg.jpg

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

There you go. The reason the whole Shadow Tag thing started. Wrongly, maybe, but everything needs to begin somewhere. Mega Gengar is hands down one of the strongest Pokemon in the Ubers metagame-heck, it's one of the strongest Pokemon ever in every metagame. Shadow Tag is all that matters here; Gengar traps potential counters to Arceus or other key opposing Pokemon and eliminates them without fail. Between Taunt, Destiny Bond and coverage there is no wall Gengar can't cripple, no Pokemon other than Mewtwo and Yveltal that it can't KO or take with him, no real defense. Mega Gengar is absolute, a defining force of the metagame and the most important member of the team.

dzi63a.jpg

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- U-Turn

Simply put, Yveltal is a wrecking ball of black destruction. With Dark Aura and LO, Dark Pulse reaches insane power, doing major damage to anything that doesn't resist it. That also includes Giratina, the main reason Yveltal is in this team. Giratina can counter E-Killer and, being a Ghost, can't be trapped by Mega Gengar, making its removal problematic. Yveltal wrecks the majority of Giratina sets between Dark Pulse for slower and Sucker Punch for faster sets. Oblivion Wing sustains Yveltal, mitigates LO and possible SR damage, and provides a reliable way of KOing Mega Blaziken while dealing good damage to Mega Lucario and Mewtwo X. U-Turn allows Yveltal to evade unfavorable matchups and is an excellent way of bringing Gengar in the spotlight unharmed.

msdl3q.jpg

Arceus @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw

Arceus is the third member of the main core, and the reason it was created in the first place. After its counters have been taken care of by Gengar and Yveltal, Arceus can come in and set up a SD. The results of this are terrifying. Extremekiller Arceus has the name for a reason. With a +2, STAB, priority 80-power move, there is very little that can stop it or revenge kill it. With Earthquake and Shadow Claw for coverage, there is virtually nothing that Arceus can't defeat and Gengar or Yveltal haven't taken care of already. Lum Berry over Silk Scarf and Life Orb sacrifices some power to ensure that even a lucky survive that retaliates with a burn will not be enough to stop Arceus, and also allows for safer switch-ins at later game stages, where Arceus can function as a cleaner.

124gcxc.jpg

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Volt Switch
- Draco Meteor
- Outrage

Zekrom functions as the team's main revenge killer. Its Bolt Strike is immensely powerful, 2HKOing a large number of Pokemon, making Zekrom really hard to counter or block its revenge killing. Outrage compliments Bolt Strike, providing another strong STAB for when opposing Xerneas and other Fairies are out of comission. Draco Meteor is a secondary option for hitting physical walls as well as avoiding the lock into Outrage. Finally, Volt Switch keeps momentum and allows for another easy option for Mega Gengar.

m9rehg.jpg

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off

This is an offensive team built around Gengar and Arceus. Offensive teams need hazards, and if possible, do not want them themselves. Deoxys fulfills both of these roles. With access to both Spikes and Stealth Rock as well as having the greatest Speed in the game, Deoxys can usually safely lay down both hazards, or one hazard alongside removing the opponent's Scarf, Life Orb or Leftovers. It also shuts down opposing hazard setters by Taunting, preventing hazards from littering my field. It also Taunts potential Taunters and setup sweepers.

30ct6dy.jpg

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Surf
- Thunder
- Ice Beam

Kyogre is a tremendously strong and bulky leviathan, and it has a trick up its sleeve here. Utilizing its great bulk, Kyogre can sponge many special hits as well as a number of physical ones, then retaliate with Thunder Wave. Many Pokemon that are commonly sent out against Kyogre, like Palkia or Xerneas, are crippled by this unexpected move and become practically useless, as Kyogre can either hit them hard or attempt to switch out and give its spot to another member of the team to finish the job. Aside from these tricks, Kyogre also comes prepared for offense, boasting an amazing move in Surf under rain, complimented by an empowered BoltBeam to wreak havoc in the opposing ranks.

There's really only one major problem in the team, and that's its lack of removing hazards. I simply couldn't find enough space to fit in Defog or Rapid Spin somewhere, so I'm relying on the relatively low amount of switches the team employs, Taunt and power. Aside from that, this team has the same problem most of my Ubers teams have. I lack specific counters for Pokemon, instead relying on overall bulk and outplaying. This comes with the risk of an all-out sweep by an opponent I didn't manage to trap or outplay, using Pokemon like Arceus-Electric, Xerneas and Mega Mewtwo. However, it also has the return of expanding my teambuilding options and giving me more freedom of choice. Gengar also works in favor of that strategy thanks to Shadow Tag and Destiny Bond.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe