XY Internet Meme & Pop Culture References in Pokémon X & Y

safariblade

Video Gamer
Advanced Member
I noticed a ton of references to other media or internet memes while playing X & Y. I'm posting all of this from memory, so correct me if needed and I know I missed some stuff.

Psychic Robert on Route 10 says "Wow! You and your Pokemon's power levels are incredible! They're over 9000 for sure"

Battle Mansion person who says "Meow, Meow, I can haz cheezburger, Meow?"

A guy in Victory Road says "Victory Road, my body is ready!"

The Ranger who calls himself the Red Ranger and says that you can be the blue one.

Youngster Joey!! (Who doesn't have a Rattata :()

The guy in the Shalour Pokemon Center says that he's playing a game where he "runs around and whacks enemies to the beat of the music." - Anyone know this reference?

When training on punching bags, the game occasionally says to "float like a Butterfree, sting like a Beedrill", a reference to Muhammad Ali's famous quote.

I can't remember which Pokemon Center it is, but there's a girl who references Gary from gen 1. She talks about Professor Oak's grandson and his famous line "Smell ya later" whenever he leaves.

RE: Internet Meme & Pop Culture References in X&Y

mega safariblade said:
The guy in the Shalour Pokemon Center says that he's playing a game where he "runs around and whacks enemies to the beat of the music." - Anyone know this reference?

This is a reference to another GameFreak game called Harmoknight.

RE: Internet Meme & Pop Culture References in X&Y

Brave Vesperia said:
mega safariblade said:

This is a reference to another GameFreak game called Harmoknight.

Which, may I add, everyone should play. Fun game.

I took pictures of the over 9000 and "Because they're comfy and easy to wear!" lines in the game. They were too hilarious to just pass up.

I like this one

tumblr_mv7g0jjqtg1rimnsno1_500.jpg

tumblr_mv7g0jjqtg1rimnsno2_500.gif

Way too good to be a coincidence.

Over 9000 is probably my favorite. First time I saw a pic of it I thought it was fakw, but then I found it in-game and rofled. xD

Also, my body is ready & the meow thing were pretty hilarious.

Am I the only one who thinks stuff like over 9000 is extremely out of place in Pokémon? I hate it. And over 9000 is so old and lame, it should have been done in DP if at all.

The Madoka Magica reference is just awesome lol..

Also for those who watch some anime or play other card games

Hex Maniac looks like Tomoko from Watamote

Seibold looks like Leon from Cardfight!! Vanguard

A ton of CFV units (Theo, Paschal, Sedna, Riviere) are present as roads/trainers.

Espurr has been referred to as Pokemon's version of Kyubei from Madoka Magica as well.

I took pictures of the Over 9000 reference, as well as this girl, who doesn't reference anything, but does have some funny dialogue, considering how she says that where she was was where she met "him" and also lost "him".

hiw4.png

Oh and she has a... *cough*... Loaf of bread...

There are actually quite a few peverted lines... I can't remember the exact quote, but in the battle Maison you fight a maid who thinks her outfit makes her "extremely popular" ;)

One NPC was going on about how her husband was more energetic in the bedroom or something... A bit crazy for a Pokémon game! xD

Riskbreakers said:
"My Emolga wants to shock your Dedenne"

Yeah, that was pretty... weird, at least to me when I saw it for the first time. I went in the WAT mode. xD

I remember seeing a pretty good reference to some movie today, but I just can't recall what it was. :/

While we're on the topic of perversion, there are two NPCs in... maybe Laverre? I'm not sure what town, I'd have to check. But anyway, these two NPCs have Pokemon size fetishes. I'm pretty sure the guy who likes small Pokemon (and gets "happy" when he sees them) is a pedophile. XD I probably shouldn't say what I think the chick who loves seeing big Pokemon is...

mastermagpie said:
One NPC was going on about how her husband was more energetic in the bedroom or something... A bit crazy for a Pokémon game! xD
Oh yeah, the chick who was talking about her husband being more energetic at night or something like that! Maybe slightly more subtle though...

Kinda funny how you also get the "Protect" TM after you watch fireworks with Shauna. This is even funnier when you use the male character.

Riskbreakers said:
Kinda funny how you also get the "Protect" TM after you watch fireworks with Shauna. This is even funnier when you use the male character.
I didn't catch that, omg... It was so cute how she says "I've never watched fireworks with a boy alone before..." I ship the male PC and Shauna so hard!

There is this dude sitting on a bench between route 21 and Snowbelle city. He tells you that his Pokemon's name is Sepultura, which is a famous brazilian death/trash metal band.

Someone in a cafe asked "Do you like it long or short?"

The reply options are "Long" "Short" "What?"

I said What? and he was like 'Focus Shutter -' or something '- of course! Long does this and short does that, blah blah blah'

I wasn't expecting that o______0 dude needs to learn how to word things.
EDIT: I think he's in the Shutterbug cafe place if you wanna go find him. They like cameras.

Back