Writing Interest Check: Athena's Possible Ultra Moon Playthrough?

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Heya, PokéBeachers! Long time no write, eh? :D

I made a post about this on my profile but it got little traction because apparently those get spammed a lot lately. So, after making sure it was kosher with bb, I thought I'd make a thread to ask instead.

★ Would you be interested in reading an Athena-made written playthrough of Ultra Moon? ★

That's the important question right there, so you can just stop reading and answer now if you like. However, if you'd like to hear a few more details (including some things I would like input on and suggestions for), read on down below. Alternatively, feel free to ask questions of your own.

What kind of playthrough would this be?

Well, first off, it would be a blind one. After I retired from my article authorship here, I kinda stopped following Pokémon news for a while. I know that USUM (or however the cool kids abbreviate it) is the ubiquitous third version of SM but little else, aside from the fact that TEAM RAINBOW ROCKET is a thing and there's some kinda surfing mini-game.

Because of that, I won't be doing anything too difficult or crazy, since I'd like to explore at least semi-naturally and not get too pissed off or frustrated, but I'm open to suggestions.

What about narrator and writing-style?

On one hand, TRR seems the perfect opportunity to bring back Jessie and do a final proper sequel to her adventures in Kalos. On the other hand, she'd likely be veering dangerously into OC territory since she'd eventually have to go against Giovanni, and I'm not sure if people would like to see that.

So, when you post, feel free to chime on on whether you'd like to see Jessie's return or if I should just make up a fully new OC female protagonist. I'm cool going either way.

Either way, writing style will be fully written out, more like a story than one of my more chat-log based playthroughs. Expect some cool scenery description because I took a trip to Maui last year and learned I really, really love Hawai'i.

Why are you making this thread instead of just starting it up?

Because I honestly don't know if there's interest in reading along or not. As much as I enjoy writing and would really like to do this playthrough, I don't think I'll have the heart to keep working at it if no one's reading along.

When will you start and how often will you update?

I have a couple big gaming events that are going to be taking up my time from the 9th through the 21st, so probably sometime February 22nd or later. Updates won't be every day like I've aimed for in some playthroughs, but maybe 2~3 times a week at best, with once a week at the lowest. So, reading along wouldn't be a big commitment or anything, but it shouldn't stagnate too much either.

I'd always be interested in reading something you made, 'Thena! Your writing is probably my favorite on the site, and it's always a blast to read what you come up with!

I'd say do whatever makes you happiest and most passionate about writing, since that will lead to the best result.

Go for it Athena, I'll definitely be reading along. This is my chance to find out what the Ultra games are all about. (I could just look it up but that's boring and I don't feel like playing the game myself :p)

I will be following along! I could totally see Jessie trying to usurp Giovanni, but you should definitely be choosing whatever feels the most fun for you. ^.^

I'd probably give it the ol' readaroonie.

I would totally be interested in reading along! I haven't got the chance to get USUM or learn much about the story or anything so this would be cool.

I'd say do whatever makes you happiest and most passionate about writing, since that will lead to the best result.
I will be following along! I could totally see Jessie trying to usurp Giovanni, but you should definitely be choosing whatever feels the most fun for you.
Agree with these ^^

I'd be interesting in following along on your UM adventure Athena. It sounds like it should be really fun and interesting.

Thanks for all the interest everyone! :D It's honestly more than I expected. Looking forward to starting this up in a few weeks time.

Since people were overall pretty ambivalent on the Narrator choice, I think I've decided to go with OC. In fact, I started making her up in my head last night. Since I won't have the Rocket connection with Jessie, though, I thought about making a connection with one of the other teams, and I'm not sure if I'd prefer to go with Galactic or Plasma. For those of you following along, do you have any preferences? What I've got made up so far will work with either of them, just the details I'd have to finagle.

In the meantime, do feel free to chime in if you haven't yet; the more the merrier. I'll likely post both in this thread and in my profile once the thread for the playthrough itself is ready.

Last edited:
I personally would prefer Galactic, since I feel like there was always more going on with that team. Plasma was just... weird and all over the place, and Aqua didn't really make much impact. I suppose you could also have a ton of fun with an Aqua background, though, and - say - make the fact that Team Aqua is a stupid a motivator for your OC to be going on this particular journey in Alola.

After a very slight bit of spoiling myself, I do think I'm going to go with Galactic after all, based on the slightly expanded role that Colress plays in the game (and that after the more I thought about it, the less I liked the Aqua idea). It was my first thought anyway, so just goes to show that sometimes the ideas that pop up first are the best ones. :p

@Athena hellooooooo

Are you still planning on doing the playthrough?

Yep! :D I haven't been able to start quite yet because life has gotten in the way a bit, but I'm shooting for the first chapter early by next week. In the meantime, since in-game screenshots are no longer a thing, I thought I would use a trainer creator program to whip up how I envision the narrator looking:

cFX7rlQ.png

I'll probably ping everyone who shared interest here in the new thread once it's live.

Back