• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Infernape/Entei

Andrewninja4

The Monkey King
I am in the middle of creating a deck for my favourite pokemon, Infernape!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 4 Chimchar UPR 21
* 4 Entei-GX SLG 74
* 4 Monferno UPR 22
* 4 Infernape UPR 23
* 1 Tapu Lele GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 3 Rare Candy SUM 135
* 4 N DEX 96
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 3 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Escape Rope PLS 120
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Escape Board UPR 122
* 2 Lillie UPR 125
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 128
* 3 Energy Retrieval BLW 92
* 1 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118

##Energy - 12

* 10 Fire Energy 2
* 2 Burning Energy BKT 151

Total Cards - 60

STRATEGY
The strategy is to use Infernape's ability to spam 160 damage with entei, and 50% chance of doing 220 after their turn.

Last edited:
I have this deck and rare candy helps get the infernapes out faster because without infernape entei is not that great of a card. Nice list!

I think it might help if you include choice band so you can potentially OHKO relevant pokemon in the meta like Lele/Buzzwole/Hoho/Bulu with the burn effect.

Actually, when I thought about this deck on my own, it came out as straight up Infernape.
But YOU, sir, have actually made Entei-GX super good.
You've done the impossible. Give this man a medal.

I also think @OppositeAttract is right, you do need Choice Band (as seeing you don't have a Tool of Choice) and decks with Rare Candy cut out the middle man Monferno because they can just skip over it.
So, I'd do a -3 Monferno and a +3 Choice Band.

This deck is actually pretty good!

You should lower your infernape count, you don't really want to be attacking with it since losing it is very painful for the deck, I'd go to 2-1-2 with 3 rare candies. I'd cut Sycamore down to 2 and up Cynthia to 4, discard can be very painful for rare candy decks. If you have Leles I'd put in two, cut the Lillies and add a Brigette. Choice bands are also key here since with fire fang you hit 160 after burn, with choice band that becomes 190 which is key for ensuring you can OHKO all of the basic GX cards.

Also cut Entei to 3, add one Turtornator-GX for refueling (Entei's GX attack honestly isn't that useful imo), cut burning energies and get basic fire up to 12, include max elixirs for acceleration, the RRC cost on Entei is really what hurts this deck imo so you need to make sure you have ways to work around it.

I don't like some of your trainer choices, evosoda doesn't strike me as very necessary here, you want to rare candy for a t2 or 3 infernape anyways. Pokemon Fan Club is weaker than Brigette/Ultra Balls as a search engine. Those escape ropes should be Guzmas instead, and energy retrieval is kind of weird without Volcanion-EX, which is also a potential option for this deck.

Agreed with above post. I also went with 2 Volcanion EX, 2 Super Rod over Energy Retrieval, and 1 Turtonator UPR (one energy attack that burns, does 10 damage, but is essentially 70 with an Infernape)

I've been tinkering with a list a bit similar as of late. There is some solid advice above, but I will walk you through my own list and you can pick and choose ideas as they seem to work for you.

I am most surprised at the lack of Kiawe here? Getting an Entei fully charged on the first turn is pretty awesome. You can start chipping for 100+ or even GX straight out of the gate on T2. And with Kiawe comes Ho-oh-GX, which adds more chances to have the right starter; an alternate attacker & weakness to the deck in case of coming up against [W] decks. It doesn't work with Infernape's burn, but that's okay, it can still add pressure to bench that puts things within range of Entei's attack & burn or Infernape's attack & burn. Add Lele for support like every deck under the sun, you really really want to hit that T1 Kiawe. I typically include one copy of Volcanion-EX for when I need that extra 30 damage.

3 Entei-GX
2 Ho-oh-GX
3-2-3 Infernape (& 2 Rare Candy)
2 Tapu Lele (maybe even 3)
1 Oranguru
1 Volcanion-Ex
Total 17

So ideal T1 is an Entei or Ho-oh in active, and start setting up apes on the bench (multiple if you can manage it). If it's a Chimchar/Lele we can always attach an energy to retreat with and still Kiawe charge the attacker. Preferably Kiawe is in hand and not have to Lele for it. Let's increase those chances with a 4-count. For draw support I go 3-3-3 Sycamore-N-Cynthia. As mentioned above, discarding candies can hurt. I do like Fan Club over Brigette here, you can dig for next-turn Leles, and if you have Volcanion in it's better. But if you're not including Volcanion it's worse. Soooo., your call. But you don't need three god no. Put those slots somewhere into draw support instead.
2-3 Guzma is pretty standard. People will retreat a lot to shake off those burns. Pull them back out in front and finish them off.
I like the idea of Kukui, but a Volcanion on the bench is a far better option.

4 Kiawe
1 Fan Club
3 Sycamore
3 N
3 Cynthia
2 Guzma
Total 16

Ultra Ball is a four count in every deck in standard and expanded for good reason. It gets you Lele when you need it. Evosoda can't even grab half of your pokemon. None at all on T1 OR if you don't already have a Chimchar out. The aforementioned Rare Candy I have two of. Max Elixir can work in this deck, but it's not as critical if you manage Kiawe early. I've gone with two, as well as one Exp. Share to attempt to keep energy in play after KOs. 11 basic energy to go with that. No need for burning energy, no Pokémon here discard as they attack? For my other tools I've gone with 3 Fighting Fury Belt as it makes Entei & Ho-oh far more formidable. It's no use to Infernape of course, and argument could be made for choice band here, but imo you already hit the right numbers without thanks to Volcanion when necessary.

With my remaining slots, I've gone with a Field Blower (anti Garb, although Entei's GX is the usual method) & a Rescue Stretcher. One Energy Retrieval & one Energy Recycler - these are included with Volcanion in mind. Your mileage may vary.

4 Ultra Ball
2 Rare Candy
2 Max Elixir
1 Exp Share
3 FFB
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
1 Energy Retrieval
1 Energy Recycler
11 [R] energy
Total 27

Stuff I would like to add includes one Acerola since the Belts make the Basics so bulky. For a Stadia I would go with Scorched Earth probably, since there's plenty of energy recycling anyway, and neither Octillery or Zoroark really works right.

Last edited:
I've been tinkering with a list a bit similar as of late. There is some solid advice above, but I will walk you through my own list and you can pick and choose ideas as they seem to work for you.

I am most surprised at the lack of Kiawe here? Getting an Entei fully charged on the first turn is pretty awesome. You can start chipping for 100+ or even GX straight out of the gate on T2. And with Kiawe comes Ho-oh-GX, which adds more chances to have the right starter; an alternate attacker & weakness to the deck in case of coming up against [W] decks. It doesn't work with Infernape's burn, but that's okay, it can still add pressure to bench that puts things within range of Entei's attack & burn or Infernape's attack & burn. Add Lele for support like every deck under the sun, you really really want to hit that T1 Kiawe. I typically include one copy of Volcanion-EX for when I need that extra 30 damage.

3 Entei-GX
2 Ho-oh-GX
1 Oranguru
1 Volcanion-Ex
Total 17

So ideal T1 is an Entei or Ho-oh in active, and start setting up apes on the bench (multiple if you can manage it). If it's a Chimchar/Lele we can always attach an energy to retreat with and still Kiawe charge the attacker. Preferably Kiawe is in hand and not have to Lele for it. Let's increase those chances with a 4-count. For draw support I go 3-3-3 Sycamore-N-Cynthia. As mentioned above, discarding candies can hurt. I do like Fan Club over Brigette here, you can dig for next-turn Leles, and if you have Volcanion in it's better. But if you're not including Volcanion it's worse. Soooo., your call. But you don't need three god no. Put those slots somewhere into draw support instead.
2-3 Guzma is pretty standard. People will retreat a lot to shake off those burns. Pull them back out in front and finish them off.

4 Kiawe
1 Fan Club
3 Sycamore
3 N
3 Cynthia
2 Guzma
Total 16

Ultra Ball is a four count in every deck in standard and expanded for good reason. It gets you Lele when you need it. Evosoda can't even grab half of your pokemon. None at all on T1 OR if you don't already have a Chimchar out. The aforementioned Rare Candy I have two of. Max Elixir can work in this deck, but it's not as critical if you manage Kiawe early. I've gone with two, as well as one Exp. Share to attempt to keep energy in play after KOs. 11 basic energy to go with that. No need for burning energy, no Pokémon here discard as they attack? For my other tools I've gone with 3 Fighting Fury Belt as it makes Entei & Ho-oh far more formidable. It's no use to Infernape of course, and argument could be made for choice band here, but imo you already hit the right numbers without thanks to Volcanion when necessary.

With my remaining slots, I've gone with a Field Blower (anti Garb, although Entei's GX is the usual method) & a Rescue Stretcher. One Energy Retrieval & one Energy Recycler - these are included with Volcanion in mind. Your mileage may vary.

4 Ultra Ball
2 Rare Candy
2 Max Elixir
1 Exp Share
3 FFB
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
1 Energy Retrieval
1 Energy Recycler
11 [R] energy
Total 27

Stuff I would like to add includes one Acerola since the Belts make the Basics so bulky. For a Stadia I would go with Scorched Earth probably, since there's plenty of energy recycling anyway, and neither Octillery or Zoroark really works right.

Wow. That’s a lot. I think that this deck would do well with volcanion, ho oh and kiawe, will think about adding that. The lack of trainers is due to my lack of trainers, and same goes for Lele. I will try however to get those cards, as you decklist is pretty good

Don't get me wrong, it's still not an ~amazing~ deck, but it's pretty solid and I have fun with it on the online ladder. It's probably as good as a deck as you are likely to manage with Infernape as a key component, give or take a few tweaks. As good as I've been able to manage anyway. I wouldn't be bringing it to worlds tho lol, maybe a local tournament for giggles.

If it is just for online and you are stuck, I can probably trade you random common/uncommons like the kiawes and stuff for no price. Well you'll need something to trade with, but anything I have spares of, you are welcome to.

Message me if interested.

I am in the middle of creating a deck for my favourite pokemon, Infernape!

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 18

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 4 Chimchar UPR 21
* 4 Entei-GX SLG 74
* 4 Monferno UPR 22
* 4 Infernape UPR 23
* 1 Tapu Lele GX GRI 60

##Trainer Cards - 30

* 3 Rare Candy SUM 135
* 4 N DEX 96
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 3 Pokémon Fan Club UPR 133
* 4 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 3 Escape Rope PLS 120
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 1 Cynthia UPR 119
* 1 Escape Board UPR 122
* 2 Lillie UPR 125
* 2 Professor Kukui SUM 128
* 3 Energy Retrieval BLW 92
* 1 Altar of the Sunne GRI 118

##Energy - 12

* 10 Fire Energy 2
* 2 Burning Energy BKT 151

Total Cards - 60

STRATEGY
The strategy is to use Infernape's ability to spam 160 damage with entei, and 50% chance of doing 220 after their turn.

What changes would you make after the September rotation?

3 Entei-GX
2 Ho-oh-GX
1 Oranguru
1 Volcanion-Ex
Total 17

4 Kiawe
1 Fan Club
3 Sycamore
3 N
3 Cynthia
2 Guzma
Total 16

4 Ultra Ball
2 Rare Candy
2 Max Elixir
1 Exp Share
3 FFB
1 Field Blower
1 Rescue Stretcher
1 Energy Retrieval
1 Energy Recycler
11 [R] energy
Total 27

What changes would you make after the September rotation?

You should lower your infernape count, you don't really want to be attacking with it since losing it is very painful for the deck, I'd go to 2-1-2 with 3 rare candies. I'd cut Sycamore down to 2 and up Cynthia to 4, discard can be very painful for rare candy decks. If you have Leles I'd put in two, cut the Lillies and add a Brigette. Choice bands are also key here since with fire fang you hit 160 after burn, with choice band that becomes 190 which is key for ensuring you can OHKO all of the basic GX cards.

Also cut Entei to 3, add one Turtornator-GX for refueling (Entei's GX attack honestly isn't that useful imo), cut burning energies and get basic fire up to 12, include max elixirs for acceleration, the RRC cost on Entei is really what hurts this deck imo so you need to make sure you have ways to work around it.

I don't like some of your trainer choices, evosoda doesn't strike me as very necessary here, you want to rare candy for a t2 or 3 infernape anyways. Pokemon Fan Club is weaker than Brigette/Ultra Balls as a search engine. Those escape ropes should be Guzmas instead, and energy retrieval is kind of weird without Volcanion-EX, which is also a potential option for this deck.

Do you have a list that could be used post September rotation?

Cards that leave the format include Max Elixir, so this deck will be very tough to run with consistency.

It's been a while since I thought about this deck. I'd definitely be looking to add the new Wela Park stadium: https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Wela_Volcano_Park_(Dragon_Storm_51)

Fair. It seems as though the deck has a lot of potential though.
Before we rotate, we had access t0 cards that could get it to the magic number of 250 (Volcanion, Burning Energy). After the rotation, it's probably going to be a struggle to find cards that can help it, but it won't be dead.
I'm sure that there will be a way to make it work.

What about the thought of adding in Delphox that has the ability where you can burn your opponent once per turn. Cut your Infernape down to a 3-1-3 or 3-2-3 and add a 2-1-2 line in and the burn will be more consistent and do more damage

What about the thought of adding in Delphox that has the ability where you can burn your opponent once per turn. Cut your Infernape down to a 3-1-3 or 3-2-3 and add a 2-1-2 line in and the burn will be more consistent and do more damage
entei auto burns through it's attack

Back