Pokemon Ideas for a Paper-Based Pokemon RPG

ashtavakra

Overlord
So I have been talking with my uncle for the last 5+ years about how sweet it would be to play a role playing game, paper based like D&D, but in the Pokemon universe.
After years and years of thinking and pondering I am finally taking the next step to creating this game. I am aiming to run 2-3 people at one of my local leagues to run through some beta testing within the next month.

A lot of people have asked me, what are the mechanics and how do you do this and how do you do that. A lot of the people asking those questions have never played a paper based RPG. I guess what I'm trying to get at, is making a full game (obviously I don't have Pokemon licensing) and releasing MY finished version on the internet, all rulebooks/stat books & all. And letting the creative minds tweak it to their liking and begin running their own Pokemon Master Trainer Adventures.

To the bottom of my heart I really think this RPG will take Pokemon to the next level.
When I try to help others envision what my final product will be like, I give them this small tease of enlightenment.

"Picture the Pokemon VG for the Gameboy. Now imagine completely creating your own character from scratch in the Gameboy game. Next try to imagine the Pokemon game, without any limitations. You are free to roam the many different regions, Kanto, Sinnoh, Johto, Hoenn, all of them, and train the Pokemon you want, however you want to train them, but with the only limitation being your imagination."

Let me know what you guys think!

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
RE: Paper Based Pokemon RPG

Sound like a really neat idea!
I once tried something similar to this, but it didn't seem to work the way I thought it would...
Anyway, if you need help with any of the game mechanics or anything else, PM me, I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Spammy

8^)

I am enamored with this idea <3

Please, make this game, then have my babies.

ashtavakra

Overlord

Thank you guys. I will upload some small stuff when I get the chance.
Maps/ Charts/ Etc

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member

I am curious about the battling.

Alaska

formerly princemeat skarmheart

This sounds really really awesome. I can't wait for scans.
It'd be incredible if you could get their licensing and make some $$$ too!

ashtavakra

Overlord

Meatheart said:
This sounds really really awesome. I can't wait for scans.
It'd be incredible if you could get their licensing and make some $$$ too!

That would be nice, but I'm not looking for that.
I would be happy if the game just got good reviews and people
just enjoyed playing frequently. and card shops began holding adventures.

here is 1 sneak peak at my idea.

So you will have a character sheet, for your character.
It will have your backpack, all the items/food/etc that you carry on your adventures.
It will give us small description of your human trainer, age, gender, height, weight, basic looks. (i also have a small box to add a photo for you artistic types). There will be a badge section where u can keep track of your badges etc.

There will be a pokedex sheet, where you keep track of your pokedex.
on the pokedex sheet will be a map, list of the pokemon (currently I only have Kanto region done so first 151 pokemon so far and its taken me over a months work on my free time between my 65+ hour work weeks (irl).

And lastly and most interesting, I will have a Pokemon sheet.
On the sheet it will have ALL the stats of your pokemon and for those in my adventure
I will reprint a new sheet with the new stats at the end of each time we get to play.
Just to name a few attack speed, agility, defense, blocking/shielding, etc etc etc.

NOW, an even more expansive and more enlightening thought.

** With these Trainer & Pokemon Sheets, if my game did perhaps take off.
Places IRL that hold pokemon TCG & VG leagues, could also hold leagues for
battling with these sheets (your pokemon you have trained in your adventures).
there could be battle arenas, special badges and honors you could obtain so on and so forth. so you could bring your binder of sheets virtually wherever you wanted and play people with the pokemon you have been training. :) does that make sense?

omahanime said:
I am curious about the battling.

the battling is easy.
higher attack speeds get's initiative/first action.
the attacking trainer announces the attack he wants his pokemon to do.
the defending trainer tells his pokemon what he wants it to do (dodge/block/absorb/counter...whatever).
based on die rolls and plus&minus modifiers i have charted in my book
it would determine if the attack was successful or if the defensive strategy was successful..
on your pokemon sheet you have a hit point number, i have a damage system
that when you tip your mark on your pokemon's hit points, it is ko'd.

i could go into more finer detail, but i just wanted you guys to get the general picture of that phase of the game. there is SOOO much fine detail, truly limited to your imagination.

ashtavakra

Overlord

Thanks guys, I love to hear the positive impact.

I am sort of experieneced in D&D. And the problem I see, that I am trying to rid my
Game of is I want to create a very detailed game, but at the same time keep it as fast and as simple as possible. But then again, I'm sure that is the real challenge in creating any game.

Teal

黄前さん らしい ね

I made such a game when I was like 10. It was fun while it lasted. (;

Fragile Memories

I'm getting all sentimenal lurking around here!

I'm bit confused. Do we like craft the bag, pokemon and player from paper? Do you draw it?

Dr.O

Aspiring Trainer

In terms as to what the post explains it as, this could be a very beneficial idea to the pokemon world. Aside from licensing/patents (removing anyone from making an official version w.o such granted rights.) The one flaw that I notice off the top is: (if it could be played as a pick up game) Given there are (I assume) stats and attributes to the character of choice that is being built. If it is played as a pick up game, in what ways will players be able to "authenticate" if 'this player has achieved this achievement/level/?' Aside from that; if it is played among a group (large or small), or had a website/online log dedicated to the progression of each persons "character" and their progression then it could be very promising. Or if in any case there is a limited number of "player levels" or "skills" to acquire (such as how obedient a pokemon is) and can be played through in a days sitting to cap it could still be promising.

To be honest. I would love if pokemon would release an online MMORPG style game, where players can interact with each other. Explore, do gyms etc. Being out of the pokemon world for a decade or so I am not sure how interactive the newer game boy games are. But if there was a 'world' that trainers could log into, where other players could also exist and interact with. It could have the potential to draw a massive amount of newer(and older who no longer play) players to the game. Given that the game orientates gyms, general quest line, player active tournaments/events. Promotions etc. - Don't think I am trying to hijack the idea here either! This could very well be organized into a table top, or computer based game. Depending on which functions would be desired out of the game. Granted some things like promotions would be less limited if it would be a table top vs pc game.

Though. If you are strictly looking to make something that is a "do it your self" style game. I do not think there could be any limitations here. Aside from the obvious promotions/large player venue. Though things like; basic pokemon can function as they do in the card game, low hp small damage attacks (sacrifice some hp to have an ability, or have 1 simple attack and 1 (limited attack) that does more damage. Etc etc.

As a few have posted, I am all for a pokemon mmorpg that is directed to full amount of choices from trainers, pokemon, strengths/weaknesses of the 'trainer', player interactions, and story line progression. -Given it does not carry a hefty price tag a long with it. Which is the downfall of any online mmo. They are fun at first, but after a while they get too boring/repetitive and if players are shelling out 'x' amount per month, then it will continue to see a decline from the top of the game in terms of who is better than whom. Leading to an overall regression of "pokemon masters" losing its competitive construct.

Aside from tabletop vs pc. The biggest obstacle to tackle in the table top game would be the overall stats of each 'action/card.' Which attacks each pokemon has and how they're orientated. How successful capturing pokemon are, how often a player is attacked when exploring. These differences could produce a 'slack' in game play when two or more players from different groups meet to play.

Just my two cents. Great topic though!

bacon

!!!!!

Heh, when I first read the title I was thinking of a Pokemon RPG in the style of Paper Mario... that'd be incredible. But this sounds fun too. : )

astral_boy

Crusty Old PokeBeacher

ashtavakra said:
** With these Trainer & Pokemon Sheets, if my game did perhaps take off.
Places IRL that hold pokemon TCG & VG leagues, could also hold leagues for
battling with these sheets (your pokemon you have trained in your adventures).
there could be battle arenas, special badges and honors you could obtain so on and so forth. so you could bring your binder of sheets virtually wherever you wanted and play people with the pokemon you have been training. :) does that make sense?

I really like the idea... I think it'd be a good way to set the game in a more realistic/adult world and to not feel limited. The games dumb it down a bit sometimes.

But I'm wondering... how do you keep it even for new vs experienced players? Are these sheets carried around and the Pokemon's stats kept? How do you make it a game that everyone can enjoy and not feel like they have to invest hours of time or money, like how the TCG sometimes is? With most of these types of games I thought people started out equal each game/instance... maybe I'm wrong? (haven't played many)

Wariopower

It's a ninetales Rory. =P

At first when I read the thread, I thought it was talking about like a Paper Mario spin-off, like Paper Pokemon! Haha.

But no, I definitely think this is a pretty cool idea! I'd be interested to see how something like this turns out!

bmp12

Aspiring Trainer

Ummmm, google Pokemon tabletop adventures. It's really well made and seems 2 be exactly what ur looking for.
Many classes/advanced classes. My favorite part about it is you can use weapons 2 attack wild Pokemon.
You may get arrested for killing them unless they pose a threat it is fun. Like other RPGs' u just need to catch on and it will seem much easier.

Added a link http://forums.pokemontabletop.com/site/