I don't always sneak into masters, but when I do I win

Matryoshka

Hi, I'm a scrub
So basically, there was a win-a-box type event, but the circumstances were different:

1. The format would be Black ad White through Dark Explorers.
2. Top 4 would also get packs
3. The entry fee is actually less.
4. NO LUNCH BREAK! Come on, I'm fat, I need food! Geez.

I really wanted to play in this format, and considering there were not too many good Seniors attending, I tried my luck!

I thought of Empoleon...Reshiboar...and then I decided that both of those decks suck because I'm too scrub to build an Empoleon list without knowing what should be in it, and my Reshiboar was too clunky. There's always Eels, but ever since Nationals happened I ditched the deck. I laid eyes on pretty much the only deck left, Darkrai. There was the Terrakion and the Tornadus variant. I went with Darkrai/Tornadus/Mewtwo for a two important reasons:

1. Probably the most important reason, I wanted space. Mewtwos and DCEs and shenangans won me way too many games. The other build can't even play DCE.
2. I could tech a one-of for Sableye, and bait out a KO that actually doesn't change much.

I had a lot of room, so I decided to play a 2-3 split of Max Potion and the regular one. I STILL had space for techs, so I thought...what's the biggest thing Darkrai loses? There's Smeargle, obviously, but I played a bunch of draw Supporters already. I remembered Shaymin, and almost scrapped the deck. But then I thought of something...ENERGY SWITCH! I maxed out Energy Switch and headed into the tournament with it. I figured these techs will either be totally useless or be so dire.

I walked in, registered, checked for pairings, and realized I'm not there. I talked to the judge, and he told me to go over to Masters pairings. I checked, and I'm not there. I chuckled as realize I was punked. I checked the Seniors pairings and I'm not there still. I talk to the judge and he got new rosters up...for Masters. I realized I just blew six bucks. I wasn't expecting to move up!

Round 1 vs. Colby with Entei/Sableye:

A friend in my first round as a master! I decided to go off with Sableye, and he took the bait and KO'd it, even though he probably knew I only ran one, because he was the one who I actually got that idea from. I was able to attack with Tornadus soon after. He was able to whittle it away, and while I didn't have Max Potion for a while, I was able to protect it from the KO with Eviolite and Potion. He knew I had it after that play. I led the prize exchange until victory. Great game, friend!

1-0

Round 2 vs. Chris with Zekeels:

I had a totally rough start. He started off by whittling away Darkrais with Mewtwo, and he planned to finish them off with Zekrom EX...prized, yes! I finally came through, abusing my healing items to the fullest extent. Max Potion is too helpful here! I finally ended the game by attacking with Mewtwo, ending the mini Mewtwo war he kind of asked for.

2-0

Round 3 vs. Tony with Darkrai/Terrakion/Mewtwo:

I've seen this guy before, but had no idea he was so good! He played a list similar to mine, with heavy Energy Switch, like me, so I expected a touch match. I got nothing, he 6-0'd me. Bad matchup coupled with meh luck isn't pretty.

2-1

Round 4 vs. Frankie with Round:

He plays main attackers with 90 HP that barely do any damage.

3-1

Round 5 vs. Durant:

Woah, really? I got my usual setup and he scooped by T5 because of no supporter.

4-1

I'm in cut at 2nd seed, against my friend who also moved up.

T4 Game 1 vs. Daniel with Zekeel/Tri Mewtwo:

I knew he played 3 Mewtwo EXs, so I barely playe them, even when he started the Mewtwo war. The best way to fight back against Tri Mewtwo is not using your Mewtwos until the end. If you spam Mewtwos, they'll end the Mewtwo war easily. We played a great match, don't remember how I lost this.

Game 2:

Don't remember, but won.

Game 3:

Started with Mewtwo, but he missed his chance at keeping up the prize trade, and I stole game from there.

5-1

T2 Game 1 vs. Greg with Zekeels:

I literally left him Eel-less.

Game 2:

Exact opposite, he set up 4 Eels!

Game 3:

I start with Sableye to his lone Tynamo, I got somewhat set up and Junk Hunted. He Catchered my Darkrai with no energies to hope to prevent the donk. He also played Skyarrow.

1. Ultra Ball for Tornadus EX
2. Energy Switch to put the energy from Sableye onto Darkrai
3. N for a DCE

6-1

Everyone clapped, even the people who didn't know what the heck was going on by the YGO tables. I claimed my box and trade it for 45 packs of Vanguard. I felt pretty good, I walked in like everyone else, with an untested deck and still did well. Excellent way to start off the season.

Props:

Winning in first master tournament.
Decent boxes.
Winning a raffle.
Daniel for T4ing.
Masters in general. Everyone's really nice.
Energy Switch. So broken dude, this thing should be banned.

Slops:

What is slop

Someone else realizes power of Energy Switch in BW-on. clapclap.
"What is slop" lol easy for you to say.

Obviously not, otherwise I would have won :>.

Pretty sure it wasn't though.

A real Master would have one. As in like Pooka. I would have failed :p.

Back